• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I might start skinning coyote and selling the pelts.

I saw on a video that you have to watch out for fleas when you're skinning the coyote. The guy was washing the animal in something before he started skinning the coyote.

Is this true and could I just let the coyote lay in the back of my pickup for a night in the sub-freezing temps to kill any fleas?

PS: there's a chitoad of coyotes running around the area I'm going to hunt.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    It sounds like you might want to get a bit more educated on Coyote skinning before opening a Coyote Pelt sales business.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    My butcher in carroll county traps, the few things he's told me;

They're not exactly worth a lot
    Bullets holes reduce value
    You'll need to make/buy stuff to stretch/tan

I don't mean to discourage, but you'll probably want to do more than just yotes, and I wouldn't plan on it being more than a hobby IMO.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I might start skinning coyote and selling the pelts.

I saw on a video that you have to watch out for fleas when you're skinning the coyote. The guy was washing the animal in something before he started skinning the coyote.

Is this true and could I just let the coyote lay in the back of my pickup for a night in the sub-freezing temps to kill any fleas?

PS: there's a chitoad of coyotes running around the area I'm going to hunt.

How many do you think you can trap per week? Unless you have high volumes, I doubt it will be worth the effort. That is unless you're doing it to pass time and not to make money.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    How many do you think you can trap per week? Unless you have high volumes, I doubt it will be worth the effort. That is unless you're doing it to pass time and not to make money.

You got it.

There's a lot of coyotes in the area I'm hunting (NE Nebraska) and they're not being hunted as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    We usually put them in a large garbage bag and spray a can of insect poison in the bag and keep it tied up for a few hours.

Thanks but wouldn't the cold kill them if I just left them in the pickup bed overnight?

It seems to me that they're surviving off the animal's body heat and blood.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Depending on temperatures, yes, once the body temp drops and the blood stops flowing, they’ll hop off and look for a new host. In sub freezing temps they’ll quickly die. Over night would do just fine.

Downside is now you’ve got a popsicle you are trying to skin. Let it defrost and it starts getting nasty fast unless you defrost at low temperatures.

Not sure what type of yotes you have in your area but a quick spot check on prices looks like about $80 for a heavy western pelt, $40 for semi-heavy western pelt and $22 or so for an eastern coyote pelt. I assume that is in excellent shape, trapped and not shot pelts.

I finally decided to start getting my MD fur bearer license since it is only $5. Purely personal reasons. I’ve seen a shooter Fox each of the last 3 years while deer hunting and in season. Shot at and missed one because I forgot my rifle was zeroed for 200 and aimed dead center between the eyes at 100yds when I should have aimed for the neck to get a head shot. Ive also seen coyote sign a few times and heard them a couple. I know plenty of guys even in central Maryland who see them out hunting every few years.

I wouldn’t mind a stretched pelt or two for the wall. Seems like too much work to try to sell any. But I suspect if I wanted to try to make a hobby out of hunting them I’d probably invest the effort to be skinning them and selling the pelts even if it didn’t pay for the hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom