• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Like many deer hunter out there, I'm always looking for that next big innovation in hunting gear, especially as it pertains to deer and turkey hunting.

With the liberalized use of cross bows in most states as standard bow hunting tackle, and now the advent of the air driven arrows, it seems just about everything is up for grabs.

Enter HECS(Human Energy Concealment System)clothing. I'm thinking most of you hunters have seen the ads and TV show, "Hunting With HECS". It appears to work quite well to block the electronic impulses the living being emits, robbing your quarry of its 'sixth sense'.

http://www.hecsllc.com/

I've been tossing it around in my head whether to take the plunge or not. You all know how I likes my hunting gadgets. It isn't really prohibitively expensive either. The next time I'm in the market for a base layer, why not use HECS. As far as "cheating" goes, to me, the only person I will consider that accusation credible, is the guy who dawns his wools and crusher along with his long bow and cedar arrows, puts his face to the wind and stalks. That is a very pure way to hunt and a lot of fun, but if you lack the sizable property required, it really isn't practical.

So what say you all? Cheating, or just the next step into modern hunting tackle? :)

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Not cheating. Hunting is a sport you play against yourself. You set the rules of what limitations you're willing to put on yourself. If it were golf, it's no more cheating than playing from the whites instead of the blues, or using modern metals instead of a wood driver. Personally, I've taken plenty of deer wearing a t shirt or brown jacket. So I wouldn't pay for something like that. But it's definitely not cheating.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    I don't see it as cheating, just adding another tool to the toolbox. Personally I'm holding out for a stealth suit and shoulder canon like the Predator

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If the cost doesn't break the bank (in case of failure), then I say go for it. Call me a doubting Thomas. I'll wait until it's used by all sponsored hunters before I would consider it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cheating ? Are you refering to you having unsporting advantage over Bambi , or the seller ripping you off ?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Interesting thx.

Of all the senses an animal has (varies by species too), to detect predators, I would think few could even detect your electromagnetic field, and even then at what distance?

This type of material is available in whole cloth, so if it were as effective as advertised, and if too expensive, couldn’t someone just make a poncho out of it or something?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Even presuming the product performs as intended, ie blocking electromagnetic impulses emitting from the human body , those would be of miniscule significance compared to usual factors of movement, sound, and scent .

But I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything , and high end base layers can run $100 plus , so try them if you want to, and report back to us .

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Even presuming the product performs as intended, ie blocking electromagnetic impulses emitting from the human body , those would be of miniscule significance compared to usual factors of movement, sound, and scent .

But I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything , and high end base layers can run $100 plus , so try them if you want to, and report back to us .

Ever been somewhere and you got this feeling someone was watching you and you turn around and there's someone there? Could this be the phenomenon they are describing?

Ever has the hair on the back of your neck stand up BEFORE something happens? Could this be the phenomenon they are describing?

I think it's real. Not whether or not it will help you with your hunting... :shrug:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    so, if you do jumping jacks, they can still see you?

Attachments

• aaaa.jpg
      aaaa.jpg
      84.9 KB · Views: 1,069

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Not cheating. Not sure it's helping either. If there are no deer in the area, it won't matter how well equipped you are. I'd focus more on pre-season scouting and knowing where the deer are. It reminds me of an ice fishing joke: An ice fisherman sets up to dig a hole and a voice from above says, 'there are no fish there'. So he moves and sets up to dig in another spot and the same voice says again, 'there are no fish there either.' The ice fisherman exclaims, 'God is that you?'. To which he hears the reply, 'No, I'm the ice rink manager'.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not cheating. Hunting is a sport you play against yourself. You set the rules of what limitations you're willing to put on yourself. If it were golf, it's no more cheating than playing from the whites instead of the blues, or using modern metals instead of a wood driver. Personally, I've taken plenty of deer wearing a t shirt or brown jacket. So I wouldn't pay for something like that. But it's definitely not cheating.

Well stated.:thumbsup:

I don't see it as cheating, just adding another tool to the toolbox. Personally I'm holding out for a stealth suit and shoulder canon like the Predator

I think melnic has one for you. :D

I say gimmick

Then don't take any cell phones in the woods...

Then how would I keep up with this forum?

If the cost doesn't break the bank (in case of failure), then I say go for it. Call me a doubting Thomas. I'll wait until it's used by all sponsored hunters before I would consider it.

Have you gotten your Ozinics yet? ;)

Cheating ? Are you refering to you having unsporting advantage over Bambi ,

I'm sure some would feel this way. I want to hear from them too.

Interesting thx.

Of all the senses an animal has (varies by species too), to detect predators, I would think few could even detect your electromagnetic field, and even then at what distance?

Danger close.

This type of material is available in whole cloth, so if it were as effective as advertised, and if too expensive, couldn’t someone just make a poncho out of it or something?

Ever try to draw a bow wearing a poncho? ;)

Scent is still a major factor, but I think I have that pretty well taken care of.
    I may not delve into these this season. Maybe by spring turkey.

so, if you do jumping jacks, they can still see you?

It isn't so much "invisible" as "inanimate". Critters can accept a certain amount of movement as long as they judge it benign.

Good start guys. I hope more members drop in to offer their opinions. :)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    IMO, Its bunk (my undergrad degree is in radio.) Where are the studies that say animals have any way to detect EMI? Birds maybe. But they walk right up to trail cams that have orders of magnitude more EMI than any human. Heck, background radiation from other sources is higher than your own body. We have an EMI chamber here in the lab and can prove that.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    IMO, Its bunk (my undergrad degree is in radio.) Where are the studies that say animals have any way to detect EMI? Birds maybe. But they walk right up to trail cams that have orders of magnitude more EMI than any human. Heck, background radiation from other sources is higher than your own body. We have an EMI chamber here in the lab and can prove that.

I'd love to see what you come up with. :)

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Ever try to draw a bow wearing a poncho? ;)

It isn't so much "invisible" as "inanimate". Critters can accept a certain amount of movement as long as they judge it benign.

Good start guys. I hope more members drop in to offer their opinions. :)

Good discussion agreed, and your points are all well taken.

Also, I have never shot a bow while wearing a poncho or loose clothing, but I can imagine. :D

Native-American-hunting-deer.jpg

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

You are obviously more qualified than I; but everything you say sounds right. I've also read that some fish, sharks in-particular are sensitive to this.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Here is another thing and anyone that working in electrical or networking fields will understand. Shielding, which is what this would be, has to be grounded to work. So, you would need to hammer a copper rod in the ground at your tree stand and run a copper cable up the tree where you could attach it to your suit. If you are emitting energy, you suit will just emit it also. It may spread it out all over the suit, it will still emit it. Only channeling it to ground would remove it.

They use a version of this in some SCIF type rooms and put up copper cloth under the drywall to remove all RF (Radio Frequency) from entering or leaving the room and it has to be grounded properly.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Here is some additional info on the suit's workings(on the second YT, start around 5:50):

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Ok, they say a faraday cage works grounded, or ungrounded. I still don;t buy the electrical field and them detecting it. I buy they see something we can't as in IR or just notice something is out of place. I've had far too many animals walk by without noticing anything.

Time I have been noticed easily had a buck notice the steam coming out of my nose when it was 4 degrees and I was duck hunting.

I think you believe and if it makes you feel better. You should buy it and try it out. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom