• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    There are no constitutional issues if the feds set a minimum standard for permits to be entitled to reciprocity. A state can still issue permits (or enact constitutional carry) with lesser standards, but they wont' be entitled to the protections of federal reciprocity. There is already a similar protection for armored car guards (15 USC 5902).

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    How will it be enforced? Are LEO expected to know which states are in compliance with the Fed law and which are not? This is starting to sound like Federal licensure. we don't want to go there.

I like the bill in it's current form but I'm sure many of the thngs discussed here will be raised.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    How will it be enforced? Are LEO expected to know which states are in compliance with the Fed law and which are not? This is starting to sound like Federal licensure. we don't want to go there.

I like the bill in it's current form but I'm sure many of the thngs discussed here will be raised.

Plus many we have yet to consider.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016

In practice, they'll either have to know or not enforce their laws at all, as the bill requires probable cause to believe that the person is not in compliance (not reasonable suspicion or any lesser standard).

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    There are no constitutional issues if the feds set a minimum standard for permits to be entitled to reciprocity. A state can still issue permits (or enact constitutional carry) with lesser standards, but they wont' be entitled to the protections of federal reciprocity. There is already a similar protection for armored car guards (15 USC 5902).

IIRC when a previous reciprocity bill went through the House, the antis tried to attach a training requirement, which was easily swatted away

The minimum standard, as set forth by the authors and co-sponsors of the bills, is any state permit. A permit with a training requirement adds confusion because due to the Revell case, police aren't required to know the laws of other states and know which ones require training(but YOU ARE!).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The existing precedent cited above, among other things, required annual range qualification.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    IIRC when a previous reciprocity bill went through the House, the antis tried to attach a training requirement, which was easily swatted away

The minimum standard, as set forth by the authors and co-sponsors of the bills, is any state permit. A permit with a training requirement adds confusion because due to the Revell case, police aren't required to know the laws of other states and know which ones require training(but YOU ARE!).

But why play into their hands "This bill lets people from states with no training carry..." Require the same 8 hour NRA class that many states do, and then the left loses that argument.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Ok so maybe I missed it or I'm just to lazy to look for it but when does this go before our leaders for a vote?

No timeline has been set. Just legislation that is ready to go.

The new Congress needs to be seated, and then new legislation will be prepared for Trump.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    If the Democrats rammed Obamacare through, the Republicans should be able to make this happen. Trump should just midnight tweet this into law!

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I
    -- Funny thing about all of this is I bet a lot of guys are like me... we travel to and from our home state to our family/friends houses in other states and simply want "easy" travel. I have a FL permit... does anyone on here know all the laws from MD to GA?

Yes. It's really not that difficult, I make that trip several times a year and just got home from one a few hours ago.

SC is the anomaly and NC requires notification to LEO when/if stopped.

SC to MD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2016
    Yes. It's really not that difficult, I make that trip several times a year and just got home from one a few hours ago.

SC is the anomaly and NC requires notification to LEO when/if stopped.

Yup.... not "all that difficult". That just about sums it up.

Good luck with that...

That is why this bill is so important... my point was really on SC... not the laws in general. I get that NC and VA will have different notifications.

But hell it gets to a point where you have to print this and that... what state can I carry in with this permit, where can I keep the gun, can I keep ammo with it.

Get a carry permit and then learn when to notify, etc... not that hard. That has been my point... not even sure why people question that... unless you don't mind the mess we have now since it is not all that difficult. I think it is a mess...

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Yup.... not "all that difficult". That just about sums it up.

Good luck with that...

That is why this bill is so important... my point was really on SC... not the laws in general. I get that NC and VA will have different notifications.

But hell it gets to a point where you have to print this and that... what state can I carry in with this permit, where can I keep the gun, can I keep ammo with it.

Get a carry permit and then learn when to notify, etc... not that hard. That has been my point... not even sure why people question that... unless you don't mind the mess we have now since it is not all that difficult. I think it is a mess...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for National Reciprocity, but on a forum where we have the smartest members, bar none, I don't think doing a little research and then comporting yourself in such a manner as to be legal when traveling is too high a hurdle. YMMV

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Heck, it * ought to be * Constitutional Carry in 50 states, DC, and US possessions.

But ( I presume ) Stoveman's point was that under current situation the journey to Fla is less complicated than many other comparable journeys .

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    But why play into their hands "This bill lets people from states with no training carry..." Require the same 8 hour NRA class that many states do, and then the left loses that argument.

The only people we need to convince are 8 senate Dems. This will fly through the house.
    In addition, several of those senate Dems have voted twice for reciprocity.
    The training would only be needed to secure enough senate votes. The left doesn't care about training, it's all about smokescreen to kill it entirely.
    Don't bargain unless you absolutely have to.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Perhaps I am misinterpreting some of the posts, but National Reciprocity won't make interstate travel easier except to keep you from becoming a felon in states that currently are either strict may issue or are known for harassing legal carriers or travelers, or that refuse to recognize other state's permits.

The sometimes confusing labyrinth of state laws will continue to challenge those of us traveling with our firearms.

Last edited:

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Perhaps I am misinterpreting some of the posts, but National Reciprocity won't make interstate travel easier except to keep you from becoming a felon in states that currently either strict may issue or are known for harassing legal carriers or travelers, oir that refuse to recognize other states's permits.

The sometimes confusing labyrinth of state laws will continue to challenge those of us traveling with our firearms.

Not to mention it won't be any help when traveling with a long gun.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Perhaps I am misinterpreting some of the posts, but National Reciprocity won't make interstate travel easier except to keep you from becoming a felon in states that currently are either strict may issue or are known for harassing legal carriers or travelers, or that refuse to recognize other state's permits.

Exactly, I can drive in NJ on my MD license but if I take a left from the left hand lane instead of using the jug handle I will end up with a fat ticket. Same with carry laws.

"Gee Whiz, officer friendly, I thought with National Reciprocity I didn't have to look up or abide by your states's carry laws." :whack::whack:

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    "Gee Whiz, officer friendly, I thought with National Reciprocity I didn't have to look up or abide by your states's carry laws." :whack::whack:

This is all fine and well, normally, when one is not in a hurry. If I'm planning a trip to FL, part of that planning is to look up the laws of each state I'm traveling through in order to ensure that I remain in compliance.

If I'm out in town, going about my normal business on a lazy Saturday afternoon (while carrying) and I get an emergency phone call from my daughter who says she's been in a wreck in FL, I'm not going to be thinking about a way to secure my gun or logging onto some web site to ensure that I'm legal. I just want to get to my daughter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom