• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    I know there are posts about this but as I just found out that MSP has cashed my check for my permit, there is a good chance they will not approve it. It also got me to think that if only 10% out of 100,000 people applied for a CCW and get one, that means the rest that paid into it, gets nothing but lost 75 bucks. I don't know if anybody knows the numbers, but clearly, if more gets refused than to get issued then it seems to me that its fraud. That they need to post more than a "good reason" and explain what they are looking for, because clearly, if 90,000 people had a good reason that each of them believes and doesn't get approved then clearly, there is an issue. Its not just about gun rights but the right that If I fill out a form for service from a state, and I read the requirements and met them and I have a "good reason", as stated, then the chance of someone getting it should be greater than 75% or else why am I just giving the state money....

Thanks for the rant...

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I know there are posts about this but as I just found out that MSP has cashed my check for my permit, there is a good chance they will not approve it. It also got me to think that if only 10% out of 100,000 people applied for a CCW and get one, that means the rest that paid into it, gets nothing but lost 75 bucks. I don't know if anybody knows the numbers, but clearly, if more gets refused than to get issued then it seems to me that its fraud. That they need to post more than a "good reason" and explain what they are looking for, because clearly, if 90,000 people had a good reason that each of them believes and doesn't get approved then clearly, there is an issue. Its not just about gun rights but the right that If I fill out a form for service from a state, and I read the requirements and met them and I have a "good reason", as stated, then the chance of someone getting it should be greater than 75% or else why am I just giving the state money....

Thanks for the rant...

I don't know how everyone else feels, but for myself, I find it difficult to throw away $200, $300, or more and 16 hours of my life in training, fingerprint fees and the $75 application fee for something I know I have less than .01% chance of getting... I can't be alone and that's how MSP keeps their propaganda percentages so high for CCW permits. Even IF the permit was issued, as I understand it there is no reciprocity anywhere so it would be useless in any other state besides MD.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I don't know how everyone else feels, but for myself, I find it difficult to throw away $200, $300, or more and 16 hours of my life in training, fingerprint fees and the $75 application fee for something I know I have less than .01% chance of getting... I can't be alone and that's how MSP keeps their propaganda percentages so high for CCW permits. Even IF the permit was issued, as I understand it there is no reciprocity anywhere so it would be useless in any other state besides MD.
    I thought there were a handful of states that recognize the Maryland permit.

Still, a lot of money for a almost certain denial.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Here's an idea -

All of us pitch in some money to get several members qualified to teach MD's wear and carry class. Then those members volunteer time on weekends teaching the class for free to as many members as possible. Then those members go through the apply/deny process to get the MSP numbers closer to what they should be. If I still lived in MD I would volunteer to become an instructor. Since I don't I would gladly pitch in to get someone else certified who will volunteer time for training other members.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    You're looking in the neighborhood of $500 for a wear and carry permit in MD.
    And this is why I have suggested having veterans on this forum take the lead. Veterans are exempt from training so the total cost comes to around $140. I spent more then that on a small ammo order last night.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Right_to_arm_bears

OIF, OND, & OEF Vet.
    Nov 13, 2012
    MD
    The process is the punishment with Democrats. If they can't outright ban something, they come up with a painful and nearly impossible process that you have to go through to get it.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Yes, the thought of throwing away money at a process that is basically setup to only allow business owners to carry guns is why I haven't applied for a CCW.

It is also why thousands of people in Baltimore City illegally carry otherwise legal guns. Hence the self-fulfilling "get illegal guns off the street" mantra being sung by Maryland's ruling class.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

Like buying $500 in Powerball tickets.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    And this is why I have suggested having veterans on this forum take the lead. Veterans are exempt from training so the total cost comes to around $140. I spent more then that on a small ammo order last night.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

What do you have in mind?

FWIW, I took the course even though I'm exempt. I need to know the law, and I figured voluntarily taking the course might help get the application approved.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    What do you have in mind?

FWIW, I took the course even though I'm exempt. I need to know the law, and I figured voluntarily taking the course might help get the application approved.

I don't have anything in mind. Taking the course has absolutely nothing to do with being looked at with more approving eyes when it comes to getting a permit. You either have G&S as determined by the MSP, or you don't.

My suggestion for veterans to step up in these plans that are meant to do nothing other than change the statistics concerning the percentage of applications that are approved, is less of a monetary burden to vets. Anyone who gets involved has to plan on loosing their money.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    States that recognize the MD permit:

AK, AL, AR, AZ, IA, ID, IN, KS, KY, MI, MO, MS, MT, NC, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, WI

Per http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Reciprocity and recognition are two different things. That is the list that recognizes MD. MD does not necessarily reciprocate.

Yes, the two things that most discourage me are, training cost and chance of recieving an unrestricted permit.

ar154u

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 23, 2015
    I don't have anything in mind. Taking the course has absolutely nothing to do with being looked at with more approving eyes when it comes to getting a permit. You either have G&S as determined by the MSP, or you don't.

My suggestion for veterans to step up in these plans that are meant to do nothing other than change the statistics concerning the percentage of applications that are approved, is less of a monetary burden to vets. Anyone who gets involved has to plan on loosing their money.

I think we need a higher percentage of those who are denied. As Jack McCaulley said we then need to compare those who are denied to those who are successful to determine what the state is allowing as G&S. I agree with everyone else that Good and Substantial needs to be defined.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I think we need a higher percentage of those who are denied. As Jack McCaulley said we then need to compare those who are denied to those who are successful to determine what the state is allowing as G&S. I agree with everyone else that Good and Substantial needs to be defined.

That's basically what I said, but as the thread title says, don't plan on getting anything for your money other than becoming a statistic.

ar154u

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 23, 2015
    That's basically what I said, but as the thread title says, don't plan on getting anything for your money other than becoming a statistic.

As soon as my income begins again I'm taking the training for CCW. I'm then applying for a CCW with 14th Amendment Right to Equal Protection as my G&S reason. I fully expect to be denied and I'll appeal to the HPRB. At that point we shall see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom