• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    According to Spyderco's website, they will sharpen their knives for free. You have to send them $5 for shipping and handling, but otherwise free. Has anyone ever actually used this service? With my Police 3 replacing my Rescue as my EDC, I'm thinking about shipping my well used Rescue back for re-sharpening but just wanted tosee if anyone else has any experience.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    About 30 times. They do a really good job. I generally only send in when something with the lock or pivot needs service. They will replace things like old washers, screws, clips, and lockbars, if need be.

For general sharpening, I used a SharpMaker for light touchup and an EdgePro for heavier work (plus a strop for finishing)...those two are arguably the best for sharpening blades with teeth as they remove less steel than others, avoid messing up the finish of the knife, and are very easy to use. Plus the SharpMaker can be had for dirt cheap. Using the SharpMaker Fine Rods or Ultra-Fine rods for a few strokes every week or so before the knife gets dull to the point of requiring heavier sharpening removes less steel and maintains the edge as scary sharp all of the time :)

Yamasung

Feb 27, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I've used them to sharpen my Endura with SpyderEdge and it came back not only razor sharp with factory new looking scalloping of the special edge, but also extra screws for the retention clip. Will definitely use again.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    They have phenomenal customer service. Call ahead and ask abut turnaround time though, last time I spoke with then it was about a month...

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Bumping my own old thread here. Ten days ago I sent two dull knives to Colorado with five bucks for return shipping. Today, these came back with a note thanking me for being a customer and providing their contact information if I needed anything else. These knives have wonderful, sharp edges now and appear to have been cleaned and oiled. I can't say enough about how pleased I am by Spyderco customer service.

Attachments

• 1004171842.jpg
      1004171842.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 283

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    They have done awesome for me in the past as well. I am getting ready to send off my Delica 4 and my Para 2 for sharpening. They have taken a hell of a beating over the last year or so.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Very cool!
    I think I'll send in my 30+yr old Police Model for sharpening. Bought it in '86-'87 when I was a mate on fishing charters in OC college between college semesters.

Definitely needs a some TLC :D

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Sal Glesser is active on Bladeforums, will respond to PMs, and routinely ships people knives for free if they aren't completely satisfied withhis products. I'm proud to own quite a few.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Bumping my own old thread here. Ten days ago I sent two dull knives to Colorado with five bucks for return shipping. Today, these came back with a note thanking me for being a customer and providing their contact information if I needed anything else. These knives have wonderful, sharp edges now and appear to have been cleaned and oiled. I can't say enough about how pleased I am by Spyderco customer service.

They are literally 15 minutes up the road from me. If they ever give you problems let me know and I'll go up there in person and get it straight for you.

They are awesome at the factory in Golden. They will give you tours, they have special local only sales for blemishes and clearance stuff. They have every single model for sale in the factory store. The thing is, they charge the suggested retail price for each knife, which is about 40% higher than anywhere online. They say they don't want to compete with their sellers. You can go there and play with a knife and decide if you like it, and then buy it online somewhere. They support that. Sal is up there a lot in the store talking to customers.

One of my camping and hunting buddies has a side job taking care of plants in office buildings and the Spyderco factory is one of his clients. He sits down and talks with Sal about knives and guns all the time.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    They are literally 15 minutes up the road from me. If they ever give you problems let me know and I'll go up there in person and get it straight for you.

They are awesome at the factory in Golden. They will give you tours, they have special local only sales for blemishes and clearance stuff. They have every single model for sale in the factory store. The thing is, they charge the suggested retail price for each knife, which is about 40% higher than anywhere online. They say they don't want to compete with their sellers. You can go there and play with a knife and decide if you like it, and then buy it online somewhere. They support that. Sal is up there a lot in the store talking to customers.

One of my camping and hunting buddies has a side job taking care of plants in office buildings and the Spyderco factory is one of his clients. He sits down and talks with Sal about knives and guns all the time.

Stuff like that makes me very happy to hear and know I'm supporting that kind of company. It's also long past time for me to order a Spyderco that's made in Colorado, all of mine are Japanese.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Stuff like that makes me very happy to hear and know I'm supporting that kind of company. It's also long past time for me to order a Spyderco that's made in Colorado, all of mine are Japanese.

I said the same a while back and ordered my Para 2. I love it. The quality of S30V steel outweighs my VG10 Delica by a ton. At least for me. I actually prefer carrying the Delica more, but the blade just is not as strong and chips much easier.

If you look in my photo you can actually see the chips out of the end of the blade. Makes cutting rather difficult.

Attachments

• IMG_1070.jpg
      IMG_1070.jpg
      19.8 KB · Views: 179

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I need to figure out which US made blades are available serrated. Those are the only kind I carry. It's very possible that the Autonomy will become my first automatic.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I need to figure out which US made blades are available serrated. Those are the only kind I carry. It's very possible that the Autonomy will become my first automatic.

I would like to get a fully serrated model in the future. I believe it would work much better for me in my line of work. Knives would most likely stay sharper much longer and not chip as badly.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I would like to get a fully serrated model in the future. I believe it would work much better for me in my line of work. Knives would most likely stay sharper much longer and not chip as badly.

I'm not sure what your work needs are but I keep a fully serrated Rescue on me at home for handling all the Amazon boxes we get. Packing tape does bad things to blades and the serrated ones seen to hold up much longer.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I'm not sure what your work needs are but I keep a fully serrated Rescue on me at home for handling all the Amazon boxes we get. Packing tape does bad things to blades and the serrated ones seen to hold up much longer.

My thoughts exactly. For some reason packing tape destroys my VG10 Delica's blade. I also cut a lot of zip ties and other things while in the field.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA

Native 5 lightweight. Available in full spyderedge, US made. It's a 3 inch blade, but like the Manix series about 1/2" of blade is actually part of a forward finger choil that is good for choking up on the handle and cutting with precision. It uses S35VN steel, basically a subtle all around improvement on S30V, very good and well balanced steel, with serrations to protect the edge it should hold an edge forever, and can be stropped back to a razor several times before you actually need to sharpen it. The leaf shaped blade is strong with a good point and rounded edge do everything well. Being a full flat ground serrated knife, it glides through material and cuts faster than sabre ground blades. It has a midlock which is secure, ambi, and can be used with 1 hand.

The handle shape is comfortable, grippy FRN and slim, whole thing only weighs 2.5oz, but with plenty of useable blade, and the serrations cut aggressively enough it can get through material like a larger knife. I've owned 3 Natives, loved each one, they are well made, but under $100 still not terribly expensive, one of the best mid-size EDC blades you can get IMO. I blew my knife budget on a couple others, but an updated serrated Native will be my next. I typically carry a small inexpensive serrated lightweight knife, and pair it with a larger expensive plain edge folder. Between the 2 I can cut anything, can use the cheap knife for tough stuff, and the big plain edge for large items or when I need a smooth cut. The other US made full spyderedge knife is the Para 3, I don't care for the compression lock, others love it, handle is very similar to the Native, blade length and overall size are really close, but it's G10, an ounce heavier, balanced really handle heavy, and $50 more.

good sale price, F-it ordering one, these knife threads are killing me
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Native-5-S35VN-Lockback--29520
    https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP41SBK5/spyderco-c41sbk5-native-5-folding-knife-s35vn-satin-serrated-blade-black-frn-handles

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It arrived today. Love how the newer FRN knives are screwed together(not riveted) and able to be dissasembled, all screw pockets have a metal insert. There aren't a ton of full flat ground/full spyderedge knives, but they rock, the serrations are deeper, and the edge is thinner than sabre ground blades, so they push cut and slice with the edges more so than sawing with the points. This is way better than the spear point on my older Native with the sabre grind and false top edge. Love S35VN, basically takes S30V, makes it tougher, polishes brighter, is easier to sharpen, and holds an edge as good. It's a relatively small knife, but you can get a full comfortable grip with the forward choil, it's 1/2 the weight of a PM2, really grippy scale texture, and was $85 shipped. I pair it with a big plain edge folder to tackle tough or potentially damaging cutting tasks, usually plastic packaging, zip ties and tape, and it rips through them easily while taking up minimal pocket space.

There are features some may not like, primarily it's a back-lock. I've had a few Natives and a lot of Spydercos, probably the best backlock in the buisness, and it works with smaller knives where framelocks or BB/axis locks can be a little awkward, or can be accidentally released. I think it suits the knife, being extremely secure with nothing to get in the way of your grip. Takes a little bit of practice to close with 1 hand, but it's relatively easy, and inherently ambi. The biggest downside is it is slow to open and close, it's smooth, but the pressure from the lockbar adds a lot of friction, and this knife seems to engage really deep, and the lock tak need to be pushed far to unlock it. The pivot lacks bushings or washers between the blade and scales, only a raised ring in the plastic scales for the blade to ride aggainst, the pivot isn't the smoothest, and has to be adjusted loose to limit friction, even then I can only open it slow with my thumb in the spiderhole, can't really flick or flip it. The blade primarily rides around a barrel shaped bushing in the center of the pivot, holds oil well, keeps the blade centered, and is pretty strong. It uses a new pocket clip pattern, doesn't match other 3 screw clips so hard to get a deep carry clip, but the factory clip is good, polished well, and I prefer having the heel of the knife poking out so it's easier to grab from a pocket. The FRN handles are relatively thick, just as thick as the full G10 models with liners, quite a bit thicker than the FRN handles on Enduras, delicas and my older FRN native, makes it more comfortable to use, but a little thicker in the pocket, especially compared to it's footprint. The blade folds into a relatively small footprint, and the spyderhole is partially covered by the handle, so it's a bit of a tradeoff compared to pretty much every other spyderco that is broader when folded. All in all it's a great knife, by far the best Native I've owned. Not sure what Spydie I'll go for next, don't own a Para, bought a couple for others though, didn't really like the compression lock playing around with it, but might grow on me, and now with Maxamet, S110V, Cru-wear, 52100, and S90V all out in various sprint runs in both Para 2 and para 3 sizes, it's a good time to pick one up.

20171010_154742.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom