• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I have an army butt pack in woodland and one in Multicam. They are great for warm weather and going light. I have one or two canteen Molle covers for carrying water on it. Knife, dressing kit, first aid, tags, a snack and a light weight camo baselayer shirt. Not what you are looking for or course.

When I go heavier I take my Midway light weight day pack. No Molle, but it holds a fair amount (20 liters? Maybe 18). They make a slightly larger Molle covered one for a few bucks more. 2nd year using it and it is holding up well. Can’t fit my parka in it, but even crushed down my park is probably 15+ liters. Maybe if the main pocket was completely empty. I just tie it around my waist. It can fit my bibs rolled up in to it with my stool tucked in next to it on the side. A couple of canteens on outside pockets, snack, paracord, dressing kit, etc. everything that fit in my butt pack.

What I like about the ALICE gear and the new MOLLE stuff is that you can roll it any way you want. The system must be popular enough because here's a link to the commercial approximation of it:
    https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ack-15fnsufsswtthfnnyapa/15fnsufsswtthfnnyapa

I saw it at Dick's and it's pretty well made.

This is exactly like one set I have - it's the real old cloth stuff:
    http://militarybackpackguide.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-alice-packs/

I have later versions of the same set in the lighter nylon.
    I can get pretty much anything I want to add on for a couple of bucks at gun shows.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I guess I am asking too much, I want a rugged, affordable and small molle pack. Some posted are just cheap packs like mine that are just going to break again. The Assault packs, I mean who is going to carry a three day pack hunting? The 40 and 50 liter packs are fricking HUGE for day pack hunting. I'm not bugging out, I walking to my hunting spot and trying to free my hands. I'm not going to put 3 - 5 liters of crap hardly in it.

Maybe I need a frame pack with a small bag on it and then can strap the chair, bibs and jacket on it when I need them.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Cheap and rugged don't normally go together. You're not likely to find what you need for under $75 outside of the used surplus market. Maxpedition makes a very good rugged backpack but depending on the model can run close to $200. The Falcon II, Pygmy Falcon II, or Condor II may fit your needs for a small, rugged molle pack. They run $90-$120 on eBay. A Pygmy Falcon was my edc for years and never failed me.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I have a kifaru pack and it's great. But I don't think you need a $700 pack to carry some gear to your tree stand.

Look at the mysteryranch scape goat. It's going to last and I think it will serve your purpose well. They are on sale right now if you look around.
    https://www.campsaver.com/mystery-r...Ymm9ICbp6kvasuxjmHTENikJ45YhO9l0aAkvfEALw_wcB

Also take a look at hill people gear. Might be a little more then you want to spend but again your looking at a lifetime piece of gear made in the USA.
    https://hillpeoplegear.com

EXO mountain gear also has a day pack that would work. Again made in the USA... and worth the price. You could pack a deer out with this pack if you wanted to.
    http://exomountaingear.com/shop/exo-2000-daypack/

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    Your asking for 2 different things imo! For what you are asking I would go with a 40-50l framed pack with mollie on it then buckle an "assault" pack to it for a day bag. If your looking for a 2-3 day pack you need a frame. Trying to use an assault pack like that will wear you down.
    This is how I operated on small team operations, and sheep hunting or any multi day hunting excursions I found myself on. I had/have a tactical tailor assault pack that is of the same design of your knock off. I've had my TT pack for 13 years now and it still functions 100% like the day it did when I got it. Its been to hell and back, though it in comparison is now babied.
    If your looking to go cheap but rugged get yourself the old alice pack frame and TT alice pack. There are buckles that you can strap your assault pack to the alice pack and move out, set up a base camp grab the assault pack and drive on from there.
    If you need more than an alice pack will provide check out http://www.eberlestock.com/. This IMO is the best made packs on the market. They also seem to offer everything your looking for too except the price point.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    40 to 50liters, really? I can't fill 24 liters. I am carrying a head lamp, knife, extra warm stuff, hunting license pack, maybe lunch and a water bottle for longer days. Its the adding of the Turkey chair, bibs and jacket and over boots all clipped on it. My quiver is also mounted to the side of the pack.

I am actually not storing much in the pack, but rather using it as a pack for multiple things. Turkey Chair is 7 Pounds alone.

What I like are the SOG Ninja and the 5.11 Rush12 or 24 packs. Both have the bottom Molle I can use for the chair and back for jacket and bibs. They both appear like they are made in the same factory, but the 5.11 is made with Nylon Cordura 1000D, ykk zippers and has more pockets. The SOG is polyester lighter fabric and not name brand zippers. I can't find any information on either back and good or poorly the straps are attached to them.

As I said, my other cheap pack works just fine except the shoulder straps can't handle the weight. All I want ins a small pack such as one of these, but one that can be loaded with extra gear on the Molle straps to free my hands and shoulders. Mainly a heavy duty SMALL pack with Molle straps on it. ;) The others above meet what I want, I just can't find out how sturdy the backs are. I tried calling 5.11 but no one answers and submitted a e-mail question.

Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    40 to 50liters, really? I can't fill 24 liters. I am carrying a head lamp, knife, extra warm stuff, hunting license pack, maybe lunch and a water bottle for longer days. Its the adding of the Turkey chair, bibs and jacket and over boots all clipped on it. My quiver is also mounted to the side of the pack.

I am actually not storing much in the pack, but rather using it as a pack for multiple things. Turkey Chair is 7 Pounds alone.

What I like are the SOG Ninja and the 5.11 Rush12 packs. Both have the bottom Molle I can use for the chair and back for jacket and bibs. They both appear like they are made in the same factory, but the 5.11 is made with Nylon Cordura 1000D, ykk zippers and has more pockets. The SOG is polyester lighter fabric and not name brand zippers. I can't find any information on either back and good or poorly the straps are attached to them.

As I said, my other cheap pack works just fine except the shoulder straps can't handle the weight. All I want ins a small pack such as one of these, but one that can be loaded with extra gear on the Molle straps to free my hands and shoulders. Mainly a heavy duty SMALL pack with Molle straps on it. ;) The others above meet what I want, I just can't find out how sturdy the backs are. I tried calling 5.11 but no one answers and submitted a e-mail question.

Sorry misunderstood what you were looking for. The 5.11 rush looks nice. Finding someone with experience with these packs is going to be hard.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You need two packs. One small lightweight day pack for your typical stuff and probably a comfy external frame pack that can be stripped down so you can strap all of that stuff to it when you want to take the kitchen sink

Florida_11B

Jun 10, 2016
    I know they might be expensive but they are worth their weight in gold and for that I personally endorse Mystery Ranch. PLUS Lifetime Warranty!

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I do have two packs. I grab the one I need for the type of hunting I am doing.

One for waterfowl blind bag and license with waterfowl stamps and gear and permission slips backed in it.

One for deer hunting/squirrel/turkey with another printed license without the WF stamps and deer hunting permission slips. This is the one I am trying to research and replace.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Lapg dot com had a bunch of milspec camelbaks on clearance. I got a hawg to replace my wife's mule. I used a mule the last to years of whitetail hunting. I'm moving over to a Trailhawk I found at wallyMart.

Ericw

Feb 28, 2012
    Greencastle, PA
    I have three bags. One close to what the OP wants to run and some that might be relevant for others.

I use a Dakine Helipack from my snowboarding days, that just happens to be camo, for my local day hunts. It has no frame. It's small, holds my license, kill kit, food, water, extra layer. And the flap (which is supposed to be for stowing a snowboard during hikes) works to stuff my coat or whatever layer I need to take off when hiking/dragging. My setup differs from the OP as I usually sling my DIY foam cushion across my shoulder/body with a piece of paracord and don't use a chair. However, being designed to handle the weight of a snowboard, these bags are nice and rugged and could handle as much weight as you could fit in/on it.

I have a Granite Gear Leopard VC 46 which is an internal frame ultralight bag for 1-3 nights non-hunting backpacking depending on the season, how ultralight/compact your gear is and/or how much gear you are willing to go without. Very nice bag. Very nicely laid out, comfortable, well-made. I have used it for backcountry day hunting but I don't think it would stay together if I killed something and had to haul quarters. I have used it for short backpacking trips and it worked great but can be pretty tight if you don't have a compact/high-dollar sleeping bag or lash your bag externally. This probably won't get used very much now because the next frame is pretty light and the best thing I've had on my back:

I have a Kifaru frame for longer backpacking trips and elk hunting/hauling. I am using the bag from a Dana Designs Terraframe on it right now. I have also used a DIY Cargo Panel and a military duffel bag on it which works and saves money. I have hauled loads over 100 lbs in the kifaru - it is no joke and I have no regrets with what I spent on it.

The Dana frame handles big weight no problem but it's noisy, and not as comfortable (too short for me) or close to my body as the Kifaru. The Dana bag is legitimate too (same general layout as the modern Mystery Ranch packs) - having a separate sleeping bag compartment is great. The lid is gigantic. It is rugged and handles weight no problem. It doesn't have water bottle pockets. You can buy external frame Dana Design packs on Ebay fairly cheap. If you do some research you can find the differences between the models.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I think I am going to buy this one, for $50 on close out, how can you beat that unless they have it in green woodland camo. :D [EDIT] its ordered and I can report back later.

It has the two bottom loops so I can insert webbing to attach and hang my turkey chair. I can do the same on the back for my bibs, jacket and over boots when its cold. Plus plenty of room inside for lunch, extra clothes and head lamp and extra batteries and such.

camelbak-h-a-w-g-3l-closeout-1.gif

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I love my Mother! Its expandable and very well thought out. Has convenient covered pockets and straps to hold it tight to me while going through thick brush.

The expandability was helpful when I was wearing coveralls on a cold morning and shot a deer that took off. Temp got up to 70°. Was good to not have to leave my stuff behind.

Liked it so much I bought a Mother turkey vest with built in seat pad.

For half day hunts ill just bring a small fanny pack.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    https://us.directactiongear.com/dust-backpack#04

I've been using this for three years for small game hunts/duck hunts from a blind. It's very comfortable and the organization is very smart. I love it.

It's a little too heavy/too much to take along with a tree stand when I'm deer hunting. In those cases, I actually use one of those frameless bags that you can get at conferences etc. It has string for straps and a those same strings synch the opening closed on the top. I have no idea what they're called but hopefully that makes sense. It's easy for me to clip it onto my treestand and then hang it from a screw on the tree so I can access stuff like my call, water bottle, book etc easily.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I think I am going to buy this one, for $50 on close out, how can you beat that unless they have it in green woodland camo. :D [EDIT] its ordered and I can report back later.

It has the two bottom loops so I can insert webbing to attach and hang my turkey chair. I can do the same on the back for my bibs, jacket and over boots when its cold. Plus plenty of room inside for lunch, extra clothes and head lamp and extra batteries and such.

camelbak-h-a-w-g-3l-closeout-1.gif

You'll be happy with it. I got mine couple of days ago. I like the MULE more. Only because it has a pocket for glasses that I use for my range finder.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Depends on the hunt, for my crossbow I use a cheap Field and Stream back pack. The guiver goes in the main compartment, because I hate it attached to the bow. Then everything else from my main setup gets packed.

Every other type of hunt I use a belt pack. I think it's a Bass Pro product. Some might call it a fanny pack, but I wear it tight and no flopping around. Has around 8 compartments for gear. I prefer it over a shoulder pack, as it leaves the upper body free. I only hunt from the ground, either still hunt or from a blind. So mobility is important.

JohnPatterson

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 23, 2018
    it all depends on where are you going to use it, I mean in what terrain and what weather conditions. The choice will depend on this and other factors. It's better to learn more about where you will do it, to give the right advice. But the resource truly is good. https://under-the-open-sky.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom