• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjester93

Mar 28, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    Good afternoon, all

I've gotten some data from the New Jersey State Police about permits to carry handguns, and I thought I'd share it with you.

While they do not keep track of how many are "active" at any given time, they report how many are issued. Since these permits are valid for 2 years, we can estimate how many are active at the end of each year.

YEAR ISS ACTIVE
    2017 ??? ???
    2016 468 1,141
    2015 673 1,169
    2014 496 ???

The U.S. Census Bureau estimated that are 6,567,970 people aged 21 or over in N.J as of 2016, so that means 0.02% of the eligible population has a permit to carry.

The percent is lower, in actuality, because it does not count resident-only permits, nor permits that were suspended or revoked.

For comparison, here are the LEOSA permits issued in New Jersey:

YEAR ISSUED
    2016 10,176
    2015 9,572

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As always, thank you for your tireless research efforts .

BUT in this instance , the majority of Carry Permits are handled by the individual Chief of Police for residents . The NJSP only handles non-Residents , and NJ residents that live in unincorporated areas , without a local PD .

mjester93

Mar 28, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    As always, thank you for your tireless research efforts .

BUT in this instance , the majority of Carry Permits are handled by the individual Chief of Police for residents . The NJSP only handles non-Residents , and NJ residents that live in unincorporated areas , without a local PD .

From what I understand it is actually for all of NJ.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm too Ludite to do links , but New Jersey Administrative Code 13:54 . Residents must be approved by local Chief AND local Judge . NJSP handles Non-Resident, and residents in areas w/o a local PD .

The NJ numbers are small by any standards, but there are way more Armed Security , and Armored Car crew alone than that for a highly urban state of that size . Those numbers are plausable for Non-Resident, of which substantial % would be employees of large Security Companies that opperate accross state lines.

mjester93

Mar 28, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    I'm too Ludite to do links , but New Jersey Administrative Code 13:54 . Residents must be approved by local Chief AND local Judge . NJSP handles Non-Resident, and residents in areas w/o a local PD .

The NJ numbers are small by any standards, but there are way more Armed Security , and Armored Car crew alone than that for a highly urban state of that size . Those numbers are plausable for Non-Resident, of which substantial % would be employees of large Security Companies that opperate accross state lines.

According to the OPRA

In 2014, 266 permits were issued by New Jersey State Police and 230 permits were issued by municipalities in 2014, thus totaling 496 permits total

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    I had requested this information probably 10 years ago, and the numbers you have are about what I was given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom