338 Laupa Magnum

S&B Scope, Mc Millan Stock, Broughton barrel

standard.jpg

Sweet:party29:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I gotta stop looking at this thread, :drool:, too many nice setups, :drool:, my wallet is starting to move away from me, :drool:.

All of these bolt guns are making me want to drop $4-5K+ for a nice setup, but my mind is telling me to get the semis first, because those will be the first to go. The bolt guns have a little more time.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    A question for those who know this stuff, if I wanted to build one of these, what rifle platform is the best to start with? Remington 700? CZ Mauser action? Ruger? FN/Winchester?

Thinking of getting a base .308 and then adding things. Yes, a scope would be first thing, probably bought with the rifle in mind. I currently am lacking in bolt action rifles.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    My build: Remington 700P, Badger tactical bolt handle, HS Precision stock, HS Precision stainless trigger guard w/4&10 round box mag, Timney trigger set @ 21/2#, Badger scope hardware, Leupold 8.5-25 Mark 4 LR/T, Harris bipod.

Attachments

• DSC01359 (Large).jpg
      DSC01359 (Large).jpg
      73.4 KB · Views: 1,544

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    A question for those who know this stuff, if I wanted to build one of these, what rifle platform is the best to start with? Remington 700? CZ Mauser action? Ruger? FN/Winchester?
    IMHO, Remington or Savage are going to be your best chance of good performance right out of the box, closely followed by Winchester. While nothing is impossible, Mausers and Rugers do not usually lend themselves to the accuracy standards needed for long range.

When it comes to customization, Remington is usually the easiest to get to shoot well and probably most popular, Savage is easiest to work on yourself, and Winchesters respond well to accuracy-minded improvements.
    Thinking of getting a base .308 and then adding things. Yes, a scope would be first thing, probably bought with the rifle in mind. I currently am lacking in bolt action rifles.
    The .308 is a very good place to start, due to low recoil, decent accuracy, long barrel life and the availability of good factory match ammo.

A good long range scope is a good long range scope. No matter what rifle or caliber it's used with, the scope's performance requirements remain the same.

Hey Terry, Laura & I are going to QMCB for the match.:gun1:

Roger was making noises like he might go too.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Cool, I asked Dave if he was goin when I saw him Sunday and he still wasn't sure he could get a hall pass. I'll definitely shout at him as we get closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom