• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pez34a

Feb 17, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Anyone up for a MDS HF net meetup sometime? 40 meters at around 8pm, anyone should be able to cover the whole state. This weekend probably isn't the best with field day going on.

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    :bannana: Passed the Tech! The guy came back in and congratulated me and more or less automatically handed me the General exam.

Passed the General and then they tried to get me to take the Extra, but I declined, realizing I was probably lucky to pass the General. I'll definitely have to study for the Extra if I decide I want it later. I attribute doing as well as I did to working the practice exams at your link above, thanks. Inbound.

Congratulations Ed

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I no longer have antennas for 40 or 80. :(

Is it that your home don't lend itself to those antennas or you just don't have one ?

I have a 10-80m folded dipole up in the trees around 25 ft (I need to move it up another 10 ft). Works pretty good - but it is overall about 72 ft long if I remember correctly. Sort of an elongated inverted V configuration.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    :bannana: Passed the Tech! The guy came back in and congratulated me and more or less automatically handed me the General exam.

Passed the General and then they tried to get me to take the Extra, but I declined, realizing I was probably lucky to pass the General. I'll definitely have to study for the Extra if I decide I want it later. I attribute doing as well as I did to working the practice exams at your link above, thanks. Inbound.

Nice job, depending on who you took your exam with, you should be able to look up your callsign on Monday.

KA8YPY

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Congrats Ed!

One of my favorite things to do is try to make contact with the international space station, I have heard them talking with my HT(handheld) with and antenna upgrade. Tune to 145.800 for the downlink, and 144.490 uplink, pretty easy to hear them if they are talking, but so far I haven't had a confirmation. The station is clearly visible with a close flyover, and there are plenty of ISS trackers to see when it will flyover, and where it is, tonight about 9:20 should be a really good one to see, but being about 1:30am Zulu time when it flys over, might not be broadcasting.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

WAY TO GO.

Welcome to the ranks of ham radio operators.

Hear you on the air sometime.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Is it that your home don't lend itself to those antennas or you just don't have one ?

I have a 10-80m folded dipole up in the trees around 25 ft (I need to move it up another 10 ft). Works pretty good - but it is overall about 72 ft long if I remember correctly. Sort of an elongated inverted V configuration.

My parallel dipole is no longer. I have the room, just not the desire to climb up and restring the wire. :)

I have a vertical for 10 - 20M.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    New free study/intro website:

https://hamstudy.org/

Thanks for posting this. Between this and a couple books I am studying for my technician's license. My father had his license (forget what class) and always encouraged me to get mine, which I haven't done yet. Also had an uncle growing up that was a ham-nerd. I have a couple questions:

July 20 there is a test scheduled in Laurel: http://larcmdorg.doore.net/vec/index.php?pg=exam_qth/LARC The club name says "women's club of Laurel". Is that just the name of the meeting hall or is this day for women only? Do I have to dress in drag to take the test that day?

Where and what do I buy for my first radio? Right now I'm only interested in doing the tech license and found this: Yaesu FT-7900R . From what I've read I am interested in doing something with data, which this radio does. I am also more interested in getting a mobile rig that I could bring inside. Should I purchase something like this or maybe wait for the next ham show?

Thanks in advance.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thanks for posting this. Between this and a couple books I am studying for my technician's license. My father had his license (forget what class) and always encouraged me to get mine, which I haven't done yet. Also had an uncle growing up that was a ham-nerd. I have a couple questions:

July 20 there is a test scheduled in Laurel: http://larcmdorg.doore.net/vec/index.php?pg=exam_qth/LARC The club name says "women's club of Laurel". Is that just the name of the meeting hall or is this day for women only? Do I have to dress in drag to take the test that day?
    The various radio clubs rent out various halls or meeting rooms for events like this. I took my exams last weekend at a fire hall, yet I am not a fireman, nor did I wear boots or a helmet.
    Where and what do I buy for my first radio? Right now I'm only interested in doing the tech license and found this: Yaesu FT-7900R . From what I've read I am interested in doing something with data, which this radio does. I am also more interested in getting a mobile rig that I could bring inside. Should I purchase something like this or maybe wait for the next ham show?

Thanks in advance.
    Good question. I'm interested to hear the opinions of those more experienced in this myself.

I'm looking at base/mobile equipment as well. I have a Yeasu hand held unit, but that is of limited power and finite battery life.

In general, you'll never hear anyone mention they are unhappy with a purchase they thoroughly researched, but often hear complaints related to buying too much too soon. I would get the license and continue to read and learn awhile. I bought the Yaesu five years ago, but now have come to think I'd have been better served with an Icom.

There are a huge number of equipment reviews on line and once you nail down equipment style (a unit usable as a base or mobile), start looking at reviews to see what everyone is saying. Once you pick out one or two candidates, shop them around - consumer electronics is a very competitive market.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Does anyone else know of a place to take the Tech Test. I am ready to do this and the nearest location is almost 1hr -1hr 30mins away

:(

I am in Frederick

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Does anyone else know of a place to take the Tech Test. I am ready to do this and the nearest location is almost 1hr -1hr 30mins away

:(

I am in Frederick

Go to the Laurel VEC's website. On it is the schedule of testing. They try to rotate the locations around where testing is taking place. http://larcmdorg.doore.net/vec/index.php?pg=Exams13

Unfortunately, it looks like the nearest place is about 50min from Frederick.

Don't feel so bad, in the past everyone had to go to Baltimore or Richmond.

Another place where testing is usually offered is hamfests. They usually have a website with a schedule. http://www.arrl-mdc.net/hamfest.htm

Looks like the next one is in Harrisburg on July 6.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    gamer_jim;2524091 Where and what do I buy for my first radio? Right now I'm only interested in doing the tech license and found this: [URL="http://www.amazon.com/Yaesu-FT-7900R-Dual-Band-Amateur-Transceiver/dp/B004HGIAQ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372245902&sr=8-1&keywords=FT-7900R" said:
    Yaesu FT-7900R[/URL] . From what I've read I am interested in doing something with data, which this radio does. I am also more interested in getting a mobile rig that I could bring inside. Should I purchase something like this or maybe wait for the next ham show?

Thanks in advance.

The FT-7900R is a good radio. 2M/70cm FM. It's more built as a mobile rig. Yes, it has data inputs but finding people who do digital modes on the VHF and UHF bands is hard to do. On the HF bands they are more prevalent.

Hamfests are no longer the cheap way to go to purchase a radio.

Ham Radio Outlet, Gigaparts and others sell them cheapest over the Internet and that usually includes free shipping.

The Yaesu radios sold on Amazon usually are from one vendor who is far from the cheapest. Sometimes far, faaar...

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Go to the Laurel VEC's website. On it is the schedule of testing. They try to rotate the locations around where testing is taking place. http://larcmdorg.doore.net/vec/index.php?pg=Exams13

Unfortunately, it looks like the nearest place is about 50min from Frederick.

Don't feel so bad, in the past everyone had to go to Baltimore or Richmond.

Another place where testing is usually offered is hamfests. They usually have a website with a schedule. http://www.arrl-mdc.net/hamfest.htm

Looks like the next one is in Harrisburg on July 6.

LARC VE is doing the testing at the BRATS hamfest on July 21 mentioned above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom