if anyone is wondering what to get me for Christmas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    just got my American Rifleman mag yesterday and had article on the Fox sxs shotguns being produced by Savage.

If anyone on here is wondering what to get me for Christmas, this will work in a pinch...lol.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Very nice shotgun and I am happy to see someone trying to sell a new American made SxS, they are actually made by Connecticut Shotgun manufacturing Company for Savage, should be a high quality gun, I wish them success.

For the money I would find a nice original and have it repaired to like new, then you would have a classic you could shoot the rest of your life. I did that with a 1923 XE and it is my favorite shotgun to shoot.

Attachments

• IMG_4842.jpg
      IMG_4842.jpg
      80.6 KB · Views: 414
    • IMG_4829.jpg
      IMG_4829.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 419

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Very nice shotgun and I am happy to see someone trying to sell a new American made SxS, they are actually made by Connecticut Shotgun manufacturing Company for Savage, should be a high quality gun, I wish them success.

For the money I would find a nice original and have it repaired to like new, then you would have a classic you could shoot the rest of your life. I did that with a 1923 XE and it is my favorite shotgun to shoot.
    Beautiful! Simple. Graceful. Elegant.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    just got my American Rifleman mag yesterday and had article on the Fox sxs shotguns being produced by Savage.

If anyone on here is wondering what to get me for Christmas, this will work in a pinch...lol.

Me too! I was very exited to see that! I was hoping against hope that they were going to have a 16 gauge model. The excitement lasted all the way up until I looked at the article and saw the price.:shocking:

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    Real question, not meaning to sound impertinent, but, I have a sxs baikal mp220 coach gun, and have not found the joy of it... I lookenned the action, and disabled the auto-safety, and thought i would love it.... And i do love my longer remington red label o/u for Trap/skeet but ... Real question, what is the most fun thing you can do with a short barrelled shotgun?

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD

That is one mighty fine gun! :thumbsup:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Real question, not meaning to sound impertinent, but, I have a sxs baikal mp220 coach gun, and have not found the joy of it... I lookenned the action, and disabled the auto-safety, and thought i would love it.... And i do love my longer remington red label o/u for Trap/skeet but ... Real question, what is the most fun thing you can do with a short barrelled shotgun?

Join Monocacy Pistol Club and blast steel plates and bowling pins with it. Thats all i use mine for :thumbsup:

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County

Start shooting Cowboy Action! ...and it's a good reason to bring out your cowboy rifles and pistols as well!

JoeR

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You know I was just thinking about how I'd like a SxS. Always loved how they felt but I've never owned one.

And this is post #4000 for me, yippee.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    That would be a fine little SXS in 20ga.

12 would be a real shoulder thumper after the chambers were emptied a few times.

A pad would help.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    When I truly didn't have a pot to piss in I DID have a Mauser, Rem 582 .22 (used from Stammers) and used Monkey Wards Spanish SXS in 12 ga, I killed duck, goose, dove, quail, pheasant and many a rabbit with that old SXS. Took it to Realco some 10 years later and Greg got me twice what I paid for it.

Since I've owned many a pump, a Sterlingworth and autos.... that cheap Monkey Wards is still one of my fondest memories in the woods or in a blind.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Since I've owned many a pump, a Sterlingworth and autos.... that cheap Monkey Wards is still one of my fondest memories in the woods or in a blind.

My Ward's Western Field 600A-ERI is my go-to auto-loader for upland and waterfowl (and even trap and sporting clays). Monkey Wards certainly had some decent "department store" guns made for them.

As for the new production Fox guns, if you read the article and use the CPI calculator, it's nuts how much they're asking for a new Fox today vs what Fox was selling for back in the old days. IIRC, the article said they asked $50 in 1908 which came out to about 1400 in today's dollars. not an unheard-of asking price. The MSRP on the new ones is upwards of $4000.00!!!!!!

Sorry, but I'd take an original one and have it restored for that kind of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom