• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    OK I have seen the JP set up but I thought there was a square wire spring that was more reasonable option? ?

denimdan85

Aug 12, 2014
    Hanover, PA
    Will that work with the lower pressure developed by the 9mm round?

This is their lightweight spring.

The description says it is for lower pressured rounds. I can't say for sure but maybe clandestine can confirm? I believe that I have read he uses them in his 9mm rifles

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    That's the 1 ! Thank you ! Now hopefully Clandestine can give me a bit more details as I would have thought it would have been a heavy spring being a blow back.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Actually, 9mm are blowback and need taming .i.e. heavier springs and buffers usually.

This is their lightweight spring.

The description says it is for lower pressured rounds. I can't say for sure but maybe clandestine can confirm? I believe that I have read he uses them in his 9mm rifles

Lower pressure rounds as in 300 AAC.

That's the 1 ! Thank you ! Now hopefully Clandestine can give me a bit more details as I would have thought it would have been a heavy spring being a blow back.

Chad recommends Tubb's AR 10 springs(heaviest they make) for 9mm (what I use upon, his recommendations). :thumbsup:

And though they don't go 'SPROING' in A2 buffers, I wouldn't classify them a silent. BTW, the only gun I don't have Tubb's springs, my rifle AR has a JP SC Spring in it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Are you going to suppress it?

I shoot my 9mm AR suppressed almost exclusively. I initially had a JP captured spring in it, and replaced all the weights with the tungsten option. Suffered from very loud ejection port bark. Replaced it with Tubbs spring and Q9 heavy buffer which made it a LOT quieter.

As mentioned, 9mm ARs are blowback, you do not want to run a light spring.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Tubbs here, 300 BO group on FB ... a lot of people say to put a bit of grease on a normal spring dampens most twang?? Been thinking of the giezelly twisted wire spring for 223 ?? IIRC they say not to use for 300 BO (low pressure/9mm) though.

I actually have a wish list titled :

"Parts Needed - $Chad.00"

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Actually, 9mm are blowback and need taming .i.e. heavier springs and buffers usually.

Lower pressure rounds as in 300 AAC.

Chad recommends Tubb's AR 10 springs(heaviest they make) for 9mm (what I use upon, his recommendations). :thumbsup:

And though they don't go 'SPROING' in A2 buffers, I wouldn't classify them a silent. BTW, the only gun I don't have Tubb's springs, my rifle AR has a JP SC Spring in it.

I would not have thought that.

Thanks for the info.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Outrider said what I would say. :)

Buy the .308 Tubb for a 9mm. You don't have to worry about the spring being too long because even when the spring is compressed to solid height, it's shorter than a carbine buffer spring.

If the gun has cycling issues (it won't) you can clip one coil off the rear of the spring and keep going till the fun cycles.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Are you going to suppress it?

I shoot my 9mm AR suppressed almost exclusively. I initially had a JP captured spring in it, and replaced all the weights with the tungsten option. Suffered from very loud ejection port bark. Replaced it with Tubbs spring and Q9 heavy buffer which made it a LOT quieter.

As mentioned, 9mm ARs are blowback, you do not want to run a light spring.

Yes suppressed applicication only. Took it out and test fired it and and the spring noise stands out like a sore thumb lol

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Outrider said what I would say. :)

Buy the .308 Tubb for a 9mm. You don't have to worry about the spring being too long because even when the spring is compressed to solid height, it's shorter than a carbine buffer spring.

If the gun has cycling issues (it won't) you can clip one coil off the rear of the spring and keep going till the fun cycles.

Perfect! ! Thank you! !

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yes suppressed applicication only. Took it out and test fired it and and the spring noise stands out like a sore thumb lol

It does. Get the Tubbs spring and don't look back. The JP will give you bad ejection port bark even with tungsten weights and their strongest spring.

bfoosh006

Aug 19, 2017

I don't know about the light weight loads...or that LtWt spring.

But the .308 Tubbs Flatwire and a 7.5oz buffer has worked with 122-124 ( not positive ) of my tested 129 different factory rounds.

And the ammo that didn't work was basically crap or had different issues ... ( bullet setback. )

And yes, I grease it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/16-9x19-AR15-Carbine-Chrono-Test--129-OEM-rds-52-more-added-May-7th-/16-712312/

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I use the 308 flatwire in my 9mm AR-15 as per Chad's recommendation, and it runs great. Solved my problems with early extraction quite nicely.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    ive used both, kaw valley extra power spring with an 8 oz ext buffer and ive used the armaspec 9mm stealth spring, both worked flawlessly but its nice not hearing that Kaw spring rub against the inside of the receiver extension

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Have seen a few people run the JP captured spring in PCC competition, probably because of the popularity using it with low-mass gas guns. Seems most have trouble getting it to run right, and spend a lot more than the initial cost on extra tungsten or aluminum weights to dial it in, so ends up being over $200, but you end up with a lot of parts you can use to dial into a load. The standard units use 3 weights, the blowback versions use 4 or 5, but you have to remove the pinned weight in the carrier, so the extra weights offset the loss of the pinned weight in the carrier, and it will be on the light side out of the box. They seems susceptible to bounce, and have seen a couple people have issues running a trigger with the system where it worked fine with a standard buffer / spring setup. FAR cheaper, and more reliable to just get a couple buffers and springs to try out. The 308 tubb spring and 6ish oz buffer are a good place to start, lighter buffer/spring will reduce muzzle movement with light loads, heavier will help with hot loads and supressors

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom