• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greetings all,

About 7 years ago I happened to spot a Gold Label on consignment, and by spot I mean I went in looking for a 308 semi and left with a SxS because they're so much cooler, and I might have a shotgun obsession.:D :innocent0

It had one previous owner and the shop was thinking that the owner never even fired it, and from the looks of it, I'd probably agree. Of course as some purchases go, I haven't shot it once either. My free time for trap and skeet dwindled and I just haven't had time to use it. I'm considering selling it, as I'm in the process of ring shopping.

I have limited knowledge of them, other than knowing they aren't made anymore, and I suppose would be considered an acquired taste.

It didn't come with papers or box. I'm looking for insight or knowledge as to what I should expect as far as sale value is concerned. I'm guessing it'll take a hardcore Ruger collector to fetch high dollar. I've seen some online for sale on Guns International for upwards of $3k.

I'm currently at work, and will post pics when I get home, but this thing is virtually spotless. Any assistance is appreciated

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Do you have the chokes for it? Choke tool or any extras?

Pistol grip or straight stock? Barrel length?

No box/papers does ding the price some for a collector.

I may be interested. Looking forward to pics in any case.

Do you have the chokes for it? Choke tool or any extras?

Pistol grip or straight stock? Barrel length?

No box/papers does ding the price some for a collector.

I may be interested. Looking forward to pics in any case.

Yeah, sadly the box and papers were not included by the previous owner. Sad day I tell you

28" barrel, isn't that the only length it came in?

English(straight) stock.

I will have to check for the chokes and choke tool. I want to say that I do have those, but I can't say for certain until I get home. Do you know if the chokes were marked by Ruger to signify being chokes from Ruger? Only reason I ask is because I have a lot of chokes.

doggyjacket

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2016
    MoCo
    Posting to see pics! How much did they originally retail for? Was Ruger trying to go "high end" with them?

Posting to see pics! How much did they originally retail for? Was Ruger trying to go "high end" with them?

My understanding is they were attempting to fit in that high end market. They retailed around $2k, and my understanding is the cost to make them was so high that Ruger lost money with every one they sold. That's also part of the reason why they never made them again. There was a rumor they were going to start making them again but the cost wasn't worth it to them I suppose.

Sorry about the delay, got distracted last night and forgot to take pics. Will have to do so tonight

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Overall, the market for side by side is not that huge anyway.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    Ruger had some serious quality control issues with the Gold Label mostly with the guns not cocking and barrel regulation. They were too expensive to make and not worth it to Ruger to try to fix. I think I remember the barrel sets were almost the sale price of the guns.
    In a small market they were competing with Tony Galazan and his RBL in the same price point and the RBL was much more gun and could be ordered with custom features (1 or 2 triggers, barrel length, upgraded wood, ect) and the Turkish guns were also competing as were some of the lower end Spanish guns.
    I'm a side by side guy, and when I looked at them my thought was it wasnt any better than a used Browning BSS at 3x the price.
    All that said, they are collectible as hell, sort of like a Colt Python...

Ruger had some serious quality control issues with the Gold Label mostly with the guns not cocking and barrel regulation. They were too expensive to make and not worth it to Ruger to try to fix. I think I remember the barrel sets were almost the sale price of the guns.
    In a small market they were competing with Tony Galazan and his RBL in the same price point and the RBL was much more gun and could be ordered with custom features (1 or 2 triggers, barrel length, upgraded wood, ect) and the Turkish guns were also competing as were some of the lower end Spanish guns.
    I'm a side by side guy, and when I looked at them my thought was it wasnt any better than a used Browning BSS at 3x the price.
    All that said, they are collectible as hell, sort of like a Colt Python...

Are they as collectible as the prices are warranting on GB?

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    collectible and intrinsic value are not necessarily the same, there are much better guns available for the money but the better guns might not be and probably are not a better investment

Here's a few pictures of the Gold Label. Got a couple dings on the stock but nothing crazy
    d93750c2c549f365115f8e1c51aece02.jpg
    019a7294181f63d2e95942620156d8f4.jpg
    d4196ba062fc6242a2649c923c96204d.jpg
    178e95c595b567797f38c17f4c59a97e.jpg
    3504ff3cc2fb5d8ebf583f8fe5b8db0e.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member