MSP PIA Attachments 11/2017 - W&C and HQL numbers, and a lot more!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjester93

Mar 28, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    To all,

I just received a reply from my most recent PIA from the MSP with the following information [If there is anything specific you all want, let me know, and I will see if I can include it in a PIA; I do them on a monthly basis]:

1) Number of active Wear and Carry Permits (W&C) as of 10/31/2017: 19,715. This is an increase of 255 permits from last month. Next PIA I will request some more details like profession/reason.

2) Number of active Maryland Handgun Qualification Licenses (HQL) as of 11/03/2017: 86,455. This number will now be received on a weekly basis, as this is how MSP reports it. (But I will still only create a post on a monthly basis.)

3) The MSP Licensings Division Weekly Report for the following weeks:
    * 09/29/2017 - 10/05/2017
    * 10/06/2017 - 10/12/2017
    * 10/13/2017 - 10/19/2017
    * 10/20/2017 - 10/26/2017
    * 10/27/2017 - 11/02/2017

What are in these Weekly Reports? A lot of good stuff. Just a few stats are listed below; I have attached the full reports.
    - How many applications the Division has approved, denied, etc. for each type of permit
    - Licensing Portal's applications and accounts created (42,791 and 40,371, respectively).
    - Pending AIU investigations (754)
    - AIU cases exceeding the 90 day goal
    - As of 11/03/2017, all W&C permit renewals are being processed "within 60 days"
    - The 77r statuses by day [Can someone answer to me why MSP would take over 7 days to 'Not Disapprove' a 77r? I thought they have only 7 days to make a decision?]
    - How long HQLs are taking to approve

While this wasn't included in my PIA requests, I feel this is important to add. There is a dropbox folder which now has all* MSP manuals, SLEOLA contracts, and Fire Marshall manuals.

Other data received from previous PIAs:
    MSP Form 29-04: worksheet used by investigators during the process of W&C application;
    S.O.P 29-13-001: standard operating procedures for investigations and reports for W&C;
    Handgun Permit Review Board decisions, 2015-2016
    MSP Licensing Division Weekly Report (03/03/2017 - 03/09/2017)

No response:
    * Number of W&C permits denied for the month of August 2017 (I did receive a follow up on something different stating ~300 W&C get denied per year.)

Historical stats about MSP have been moved to Google Sheets - please see here for that information.
    * Active W&C permits
    * Active HQLs
    * Number of 77r by year
    * Number of HPRB outcomes
    * Firearms seized by FEU
    * Number of W&C informal hearings
    * Number of MSP employees

Attachments

• Jester PIA 17-2462.pdf
      1.6 MB · Views: 247
    Last edited:

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Great info! I'd be interested in how many carry permits are not LEOs & security.

mjester93

Mar 28, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    Great info! I'd be interested in how many carry permits are not LEOs & security.

That should come in next month. From what I believe, all of the numbers I report do not include LEO after LEOSA was passed. There is a separate application style for LEOSA permits, but I haven't been able to find much data on it.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    :thumbsup: thanks!

Anecdotally, people with security clearances are harder to process. Hence the possible 77r delay.

I can see where if you have lived out of state it takes longer to get record too.

Maybe you should ask MDSP to categorize delays.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I posted in the other thread: 43,000 77r apps in 2017 is a big increase. I dont know if they break into handguns and lowers, but I am guessing most are handguns.

I could be wrong - going off memory I dont have stats on hamd-but I think this is a massive increase over the last few years.

mjester93

Mar 28, 2017
    Southern Maryland
    I posted in the other thread: 43,000 77r apps in 2017 is a big increase. I dont know if they break into handguns and lowers, but I am guessing most are handguns.

I could be wrong - going off memory I dont have stats on hamd-but I think this is a massive increase over the last few years.

They do not distinguish to my knowledge. If I had to guess, it would be 90% handguns 10% lowers

And 43k is pretty solid. We're on pace for 50k. Look at the chart below for 77r by year:

QAzwnmc.png

cjroman

Apr 4, 2012
    Calvert County
    569,108 77r processed in 11 years...with over 20% of those processed in one year (2013). Even with all the BS restrictions placed upon us by those who think they know what's better for us; we keep buying guns.

PharaohF4

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2010
    That should come in next month. From what I believe, all of the numbers I report do not include LEO after LEOSA was passed. There is a separate application style for LEOSA permits, but I haven't been able to find much data on it.

I'd be curious how many have restricted (business owners) vs non-restricted CCW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom