• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I just got through reading a thread about laser engraving on a social media group. Someone there got a new engraver and put something onto the stock of his AR as his first test.

Then a couple of guys piled onto him, saying that he can't do business like that for others without having an FFL, because it's considered gunsmithing.

I don't know the answer, but I'd assume that if he only took possession of the stock, and not the receiver, and he didn't do any assembly/disassembly, he wouldn't need to have an FFL to just engrave something onto the furniture ... would he?

He'd probably need a local business license, though.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Is he going to engrave some "hate speech" to make them more evil or what?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Wow, what could be so visceral, vile, obscene to print that it would require a federal license to say?

I meant there are a lot of hoops to jump through to get an ffl.

I didn't know they licensed free speech; but since the Second Amendment has been so infringed, I guess it's not so odd to consider the First Amendment to also come under attack.

:sarcasm:

I'd like to know what was written, must be some powerful, dangerous words. :)

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Machodoc, I think the 01 FFL would be more for the ability to receive and send firearms to customers, not so much for the work. I guess in an abstract way it might be construed as gunsmithing, a modern method of engraving that has always been done manually by gunsmiths up to now.
    Its amazing what laser engraving can do. Have to wonder if it will end up hurting the business of classic engravers.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Machodoc, I think the 01 FFL would be more for the ability to receive and send firearms to customers, not so much for the work.

That's what I would have thought, but some guy on that site (who has an FFL and claims to be the ultimate authority on the matter) says that making any modification to even the stock constitutes "gunsmithing" and requires an FFL.

He may just not want any competition.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    When I was at Nations gun show a guy who was doing engraving told me you had to be a FFL to engrave guns, He was doing laser work, Said Ok, but I still think it was just another way to increase cost and pass it a long to the buyer. Its cosmetic, I do not see it as gun-smiting. Of course I going to have to change my way of thinking I learned everything you do to your house in Florida requires a permit. With no income tax they had to find a way to develop cash flow or revenue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom