• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    This is me attempting to shoot one handed, all skills learned from youtube lol. Does anyone have any advice or critique for me to improve? thanks!

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I'd say two things.... 1 hold the handgun upright so you have a better sight picture. And 2 slow down and focus on your trigger pull as it will feel different with only one hand on the gun. Speed comes with time.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I'd say two things.... 1 hold the handgun upright so you have a better sight picture. And 2 slow down and focus on your trigger pull as it will feel different with only one hand on the gun. Speed comes with time.

Ill try that, Im left eye dominant and right eye shooter. When I turn it little about 20-30 degrees the sight picture comes in focus better. When I shoot 2 handed I bring up the sights to my left eye, seems to work might look weird to others lol. Ill slow down, I got to excited :(. In my head I was afraid the gun would fly away but in reality it wasnt to bad lol

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    Maybe try shooting some left handed too then. One handed isn't bad. I think I'm required to shoot 7 yards one handed. It really only gets tricky when you throw in flashlight techniques. As long as you have a good sight picture and you're hitting your target I guess it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    A slight inward tilt can be a real thing, but unless the camera angle really distorts things, that's a substantial tilt there.

I'll ask , what were you working on / demonstrating? Is that striving for rapid fire to COM ? Or for tight groups ?

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    A slight inward tilt can be a real thing, but unless the camera angle really distorts things, that's a substantial tilt there.

I'll ask , what were you working on / demonstrating? Is that striving for rapid fire to COM ? Or for tight groups ?

it was about a 30 degree tilt, I was hoping for tight groups at 7 yards first than transition fire to com when I get better. Rapid fire and keeping descent groups is extremely difficult :( even with a rifle

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Maybe try shooting some left handed too then. One handed isn't bad. I think I'm required to shoot 7 yards one handed. It really only gets tricky when you throw in flashlight techniques. As long as you have a good sight picture and you're hitting your target I guess it doesn't really matter what it looks like.

flashlight technique? sounds like another whole level of skill required. I need to dedicate one whole day to my left hand for rifle and pistol and another for all right hand, Ill start doing that

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Take your non shooting hand and squeeze it hard enough to leave white marks from fingerprints, fingernails or as a friend of mine with retard gorilla strength did, draw blood. The tilt is perfectly natural. Straightening the wrist is unnatural. The tilt is probably exacerbated by being left eye dominant. 2 biggest things in shooting are sight picture and trigger press. Sights where you want the bullet, trigger straight and to the rear. That's all that matters.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The most important things are trigger control, sight picture, trigger control, stance, and trigger control. And for good luck, some more trigger control.

Good trigger control + mediocre sight alignment at up to 10-15 = still decent hits.

Mediocre trigger control + perfect sight alignment = major misses.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Overall, looks good.

You should do more dryfire practice at home to minimize your flenchig; most obvious when you tried to fire at slide lock.

When you train one handed, squeeze off two or three, then bring the gun back to your chest, practice pressing it out, getting sight alignment, and squeeze again. Alternate hands.

This is mostly for marksmanship, but also do some faster point shooting on occasion.

I find a laser trainer very helpful to learn shooting one handed (with both hands), and with both eyes open.

Try to avoid moving any other part of your body that isn't necessary; just lift the gun up to your line of sight and pull the trigger, don't duck your head, or squat down during your aiming.

Where is your non-shooting hand? Generally make a fist and keep it high on your chest, imagine you are holding a small shield.

Also, generally wear a brimmed hat while shooting, and often train with gloves. Be comfortable shooting with and without gloves.

Ill try that, Im left eye dominant and right eye shooter. When I turn it little about 20-30 degrees the sight picture comes in focus better. When I shoot 2 handed I bring up the sights to my left eye, seems to work might look weird to others lol. Ill slow down, I got to excited :(. In my head I was afraid the gun would fly away but in reality it wasnt to bad lol

All the others have given good advice dry fire practice and slow is smooth smooth is fast, the only other thing I would suggest is straighten the pistol and place your right cheek on or close to your right bicep it will put your left eye inline with your sights so you don't need to cant the weapon.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    All the others have given good advice dry fire practice and slow is smooth smooth is fast, the only other thing I would suggest is straighten the pistol and place your right cheek on or close to your right bicep it will put your left eye inline with your sights so you don't need to cant the weapon.

That's really interesting, I need to try that I didn't think of it.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Overall, looks good.

You should do more dryfire practice at home to minimize your flenchig; most obvious when you tried to fire at slide lock.

When you train one handed, squeeze off two or three, then bring the gun back to your chest, practice pressing it out, getting sight alignment, and squeeze again. Alternate hands.

This is mostly for marksmanship, but also do some faster point shooting on occasion.

I find a laser trainer very helpful to learn shooting one handed (with both hands), and with both eyes open.

Try to avoid moving any other part of your body that isn't necessary; just lift the gun up to your line of sight and pull the trigger, don't duck your head, or squat down during your aiming.

Where is your non-shooting hand? Generally make a fist and keep it high on your chest, imagine you are holding a small shield.

Also, generally wear a brimmed hat while shooting, and often train with gloves. Be comfortable shooting with and without gloves.

I looked at it again and notice major flinching jeese that was bad. I usually avoid flinching 2 handed cause I'm holding it with a death grip. I just ducked my head cause I saw it in YouTube videos I didn't really know the benefit only that it helps a bit with the stance I go with usually when I'm shooting 2 handed, probably a habit and shooting rifles lol. My non shooting hand was a fist against my chest, I dont know what it does but it seemed natural to do it. I do the same with an open palm when I'm bench shooting a rifle with out a rear sandbag, these rifle habit keep messing with my handgun habits.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Overall, looks good.

are all laser trainers the same or is there a brand you prefer?

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Take your non shooting hand and squeeze it hard enough to leave white marks from fingerprints, fingernails or as a friend of mine with retard gorilla strength did, draw blood. The tilt is perfectly natural. Straightening the wrist is unnatural. The tilt is probably exacerbated by being left eye dominant. 2 biggest things in shooting are sight picture and trigger press. Sights where you want the bullet, trigger straight and to the rear. That's all that matters.

I try to deadlift a lot for grip strength, it has helped went from 175 pounds to 315 in about 4 months and noticed that I was able to control a handgun better. At first it was frustrating, I also train a lot of shoulders for rifles to hold it more steady, shooting a lot really will start showing you how out of shape you are.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    The most important things are trigger control, sight picture, trigger control, stance, and trigger control. And for good luck, some more trigger control.

Good trigger control + mediocre sight alignment at up to 10-15 = still decent hits.

Mediocre trigger control + perfect sight alignment = major misses.

Thanks for beating it in my head lol, I'll start waking up from night terrors screaming trigger control

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    are all laser trainers the same or is there a brand you prefer?

check out the Mantis

https://mantisx.com/products/mantisx

sometimes to work on my smoothness of trigger pull I put empty casings on the top of the slide and balance them while pulling the trigger.

you could also try taking up as much of the slack in the trigger as possible and then slowly squeeze, holding the trigger when it fires, let the reset click and then fire. it will keep you from "Slapping or jerking" the trigger down.

Last edited:

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    check out the Mantis

https://myecosystem.aecom.com/SitePages/Home.aspx

sometimes to work on my smoothness of trigger pull I put empty casings on the top of the slide and balance them while pulling the trigger.

you could also try taking up as much of the slack in the trigger as possible and then slowly squeeze, holding the trigger when it fires, let the reset click and then fire. it will keep you from "Slapping or jerking" the trigger down.

This looks really interesting, I might get it. Have you used it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom