If you had the time to learn a new trade... ideas please??

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    If I had to start over now, it would be in an oil/gas field. When I do work in the Gulf coast area, there are a lot of new job openings posted down there. Some require a trade school and there are some that do OJT. But if you are willing to move to TX or LA, you can make a good living. The industry is sort of like the defense sector - i.e. the higher risk or more remote jobs (oil platform for example) pay the most. But there are lots of jobs out there and they are hurting for candidates. If you like winter sports, then you could work in Canada too--if that is your thing but I would prefer to remain Stateside myself.

http://careers.infooil.com/ lists 10002 open positions in North America.

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009
    HVAC is for the birds, whatever you do don't go into it. It's a thankless dirty job, I have yet to find an owner/operator who knows their ass from a hole in the ground, you work late constantly, you have no set schedule and you are on duty rotation. You work hardest when it's summer and nice out and are constantly getting bitched at by both the office and the homeowner. You can expect pay in the $30-50K range, with some long time or high selling techs making around $65K but with no work life balance

Our HVAC techs make $86k plus another $30k in benifits....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    i agree with some of the others. Continue teaching. They need good teachers here. The problem is getting into the teaching since there are too many lousy teachers protected by unions. It is like a fraternity though in that once you are in you are in.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Cybersecurity is where the money is around here.

That said, Rusty actually has a very good point: if you can learn Arabic or Farsi, maybe go teach over in Saudi for a couple years, you'd have employment for quite a while at certain 3 letter agencies...

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    Cybersecurity is where the money is around here.

That said, Rusty actually has a very good point: if you can learn Arabic or Farsi, maybe go teach over in Saudi for a couple years, you'd have employment for quite a while at certain 3 letter agencies...

There is just as big if not bigger demand for the languages I mentioned for three reasons:

1. Very few US Citizens can actually speak those languages;
    2. S.E. Asia is an up and comer in the GWOT
    3. Even if you don't go into the IC, Singapore, Beijing, etc are all major business hubs and businesses are doing their damnedest to find people who can speak the language.

Also, I agree. CyberSecurity is BIG BIG BIG right now. With the .mil building the new Cyber Command at Ft. Meade, they're hiring like hotcakes.

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I would have gone into either Law Enforcement, or CNC machining...

Back when I got out of the US Army, there was the possibility of getting a job at NSA. But lack of a clearance now make it difficult to get in the door.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I can't think of or reccomend a field that you can do by internet. Seems like a good way for you to lose money and them to make it. :sad20:

If I could do over, I think either welding or metal work, or physical thearpy always a need, especially with an aging population. Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom