• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruffrocca

KingWayneTheGreat
    Mar 29, 2015
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm looking to find a place where I can rent space for a few hours to work on some 80% lowers. Basically I would need four walls, good lighting, electric sockets, stable work table, and the freedom to make a lot of noise with out being disturbed. I'm located around the Baltimore Co area. All feedback is appreciated.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I'm looking to find a place where I can rent space for a few hours to work on some 80% lowers. Basically I would need four walls, good lighting, electric sockets, stable work table, and the freedom to make a lot of noise with out being disturbed. I'm located around the Baltimore Co area. All feedback is appreciated.

Have you looked at any of the makerspaces around Baltimore?
    There is the Baltimore Hackerspace in Rosedale, The Baltimore Node in Baltimore City, Unallocated Space just south of BWI. There are two more professional level spaces in Baltimore City, the Foundery, and Openworks

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I can't imagine any of those public spaces allowing the completion of a firearm receiver.

Why not. I know the Foundery and the Station North Tool Library both offer classes on knife making, which is significantly more dangerous than a receiver. They (and other cutting instruments) were used in over 1500 murders in the US last year. Fully assembled rifles were used 252* times. I am not aware that receivers caused any although they could be considered a blunt object.

*This is the number of know cases. Several thousand cases of unknown type firearms were also used, which may increase this number somewhat.

Gun Met

07 FFL / 02 SOT
    Nov 1, 2015
    Why not. I know the Foundery and the Station North Tool Library both offer classes on knife making, which is significantly more dangerous than a receiver. They (and other cutting instruments) were used in over 1500 murders in the US last year. Fully assembled rifles were used 252* times. I am not aware that receivers caused any although they could be considered a blunt object.

*This is the number of know cases. Several thousand cases of unknown type firearms were also used, which may increase this number somewhat.

The danger level is not relevant here.

Knife making is not under the BATFE. Completing 80%s in itself is not illegal if the proper paperwork is filed but if the insurance company finds out they will drop you faster than 3rd period french class in most cases. Also if you plan on selling the 80%s there will only be a certain amount of time before someone at the federal level will take notice and require you to get an FFL.

Paypal has a strict no guns and ammo policy. If they catch you using it for that type of business they can legal seize your account. I know because it happened to me.

Point being as a business, this can open you up for a lot of headaches.

Your better off renting a storage area and going in there if they would allow it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

Knife making is not under the BATFE. Completing 80%s in itself is not illegal if the proper paperwork is filed but if the insurance company finds out they will drop you faster than 3rd period french class in most cases. Also if you plan on selling the 80%s there will only be a certain amount of time before someone at the federal level will take notice and require you to get an FFL.

Paypal has a strict no guns and ammo policy. If they catch you using it for that type of business they can legal seize your account. I know because it happened to me.

Your better off renting a storage area and going in there if they would allow it.

^^^Allatupair.^^^

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park

What "proper paperwork" are you referring to?

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

I am not aware of any paperwork that is required to be filed in order to complete a 80% receiver for personal use. I know manufacturers are required to document and label receivers. Stag Arms found out the hard way. I also know you cant help them because that would be considered manufacturing. One of the 80% companies got in trouble for hosting a build party where they helped and it was the helping that got them into trouble.

I am aware of a number of companies that are hostile to gun dealers and manufacturers. I disagree with those policies.

I have not read the fine print of a storage area contract, but it would not surprise me if most or all storage companies would prohibit it

Are there other legal restrictions on making 80% receivers that I am unaware of?

Gun Met

07 FFL / 02 SOT
    Nov 1, 2015
    Why are firearms treated any differently than edged implements? The 2A makes no distinction between them.

Well we can argue that point but lets just be grateful knives are NOT under the BATFE at this point. Given a few more liberal justices on the supreme court and they probably would have regulated screwdrivers.

Gun Met

07 FFL / 02 SOT
    Nov 1, 2015
    I am not aware of any paperwork that is required to be filed in order to complete a 80% receiver for personal use. I know manufacturers are required to document and label receivers. Stag Arms found out the hard way. I also know you cant help them because that would be considered manufacturing. One of the 80% companies got in trouble for hosting a build party where they helped and it was the helping that got them into trouble.

I am aware of a number of companies that are hostile to gun dealers and manufacturers. I disagree with those policies.

I have not read the fine print of a storage area contract, but it would not surprise me if most or all storage companies would prohibit it

Are there other legal restrictions on making 80% receivers that I am unaware of?

I did make some assumptions here. I was ASSUMING he was doing this beyond the scope of his personal use. I assumed this because I have never encountered anyone needing to pay for rental space for a 80% lower here or there. So I could be incorrect. But the boarder scope of my argument is valid. At the point of that 80% being completed, you have manufactured a firearm. Thus lots of business and companies are not going to be friendly to that.

Gun Met

07 FFL / 02 SOT
    Nov 1, 2015
    I think the OP said "for a few hours". I don't think he meant start a business.

I took that to mean a few hours a day. Because in my mind it just doesn't make sense. space is just empty space. So I pictured him moving in some equipment, tools, and other things to work. Lots of trouble to go though for just a few hours. Hell if all you need is a one time space for a few hours, come to my shop. You can have corner for free. Take all day if you need it.

I took that to mean a few hours a day. Because in my mind it just doesn't make sense. space is just empty space. So I pictured him moving in some equipment, tools, and other things to work. Lots of trouble to go though for just a few hours. Hell if all you need is a one time space for a few hours, come to my shop. You can have corner for free. Take all day if you need it.

This is what I thought also so I never offered aside from not being in the area op was looking.I'll offer some space also only caveat is during hours I'm there (N of Annapolis).

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    Sounds like OP lives in a small apartment with white carpets and the idea of manufacturing anything with cutting oil, metal shavings, etc is a complete impossibility. I'm so thankful I finally moved into a house with a garage after living in apartments (with white carpets) for the past ~5 years

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

I think you're interpreting this post with a manufacturer's point of view. There is no paperwork needed for an individual to complete an 80% lower for their own use.

I did not take the OP as someone wanting to start manufacturing for the purpose of reselling the lower.

Maybe I'm wrong. If so, I apologize.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I also read it as the OP likely being someone who just didn't have the space to do it at home.

Hell if all you need is a one time space for a few hours, come to my shop. You can have corner for free. Take all day if you need it.

That is a hell of a generous offer. I've seen you do some really nice things for people lately, and the more that you do stuff like that the more interested it makes me in doing business with you in the future. I don't have the cash for anything right now, but when I do I know where I'm looking.

Gun Met

07 FFL / 02 SOT
    Nov 1, 2015
    I also read it as the OP likely being someone who just didn't have the space to do it at home.

That is a hell of a generous offer. I've seen you do some really nice things for people lately, and the more that you do stuff like that the more interested it makes me in doing business with you in the future. I don't have the cash for anything right now, but when I do I know where I'm looking.

Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men...

Colossians 3:23

Just some of the words we try to live by. You don't even have to be religious to appreciate someone who does business that way.

I really do appreciate the compliment. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom