• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Thank goodness our legislators passed the waiting period laws. These laws have really, really reduced murders in the Free State. :sad20:

It really doesn't affect the overall murder rate (we're just a week behind);)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Again, not entirely correct since not a single state is 100% compliant in what they report to NICS. Reporting information to NICS has absolutely nothing to do with how quickly one can purchase a firearm in any particular state.

Except that states that have your instant check go through NICS allow you to be approved and leave in 15 minutes. I understand what you’re saying, it’s not NICS that delays MD, it’s their laws required everything to go through MSP.
    Just the way MD has it set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Except that states that have your instant check go through NICS allow you to be approved and leave in 15 minutes. I understand what you’re saying, it’s not NICS that delays MD, it’s their laws required everything to go through MSP.

Faster than that, actually. My FFL in WV does the paper 4473 for all transfers and he was on the phone for about 45 seconds, before he said I was approved. The eForm 4473 depends on the computer system and I have been given electronic approval in 90 seconds to 3 minutes.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Didn't WV pass something if a resident has a carry permit that's like an E-Z pass? I'm not sure how that works out with a state carry permit on a Federal form.

Not that it really matters since anyone 21 and over in WV can carry however they want now but I know the sheriff offices still provide carry permits for residents, I don't know why anyone would get one besides reciprocity

Postell

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2018
    Didn't WV pass something if a resident has a carry permit that's like an E-Z pass? I'm not sure how that works out with a state carry permit on a Federal form.

Not that it really matters since anyone 21 and over in WV can carry however they want now but I know the sheriff offices still provide carry permits for residents, I don't know why anyone would get one besides reciprocity

Starting I believe next July the Indiana 5 year gun permit permit is free and you will bypass NCIS with one while doing business with a FFL. If you want the lifetime permit its 125.00 for life and you will have to do a NCIS with a FFL on any transfer.
    Indiana had this 20 years ago and it was voted out. Its nice to live in a state that for the most part moves forward with gun laws.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

And absolutely 0 of those states have submitted anything close to 100% of the required information to NICS. And in Maryland the instant (15 minutes out door) happens for rifles and shotguns. So your comparison is incorrect thinking that the free world A) provides more information to NICS and B) that causes them to have a faster turn around on firearms purchases.

At least that is what I got out of you comparison, if that is incorrect please advise what you were trying to compare.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I’m seeing that I have to register my guns once I’m no longer active duty but I’m being told I need to now. Any one have info on that portion of registration?

If you go off active duty, and stay in MD, you will be establishing residency, and need to register.

As long as you remain on active duty, and do not change to MD residency (why would any one do that???????), there is no need to register, as you are not a resident, nor establishing residency.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    This whole GUN registration / control got it's start when President John Kennedy was assassinated...

It picked up steam a few years later when his brother Robert was assassinated...

Next President Regan was shot...

Fast forward to Columbine & then the Beltway Sniper & the flood of recent mass murders...

We are fighting a losing battle...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

WV did pass the NICS Exemption Bill. If you are a WV resident with a valid WV carry permit, you just have your carry permit info put on the 4473 and you are out the door.

rhippert

Aug 25, 2013
    Silver Spring, MD
    7 Day * Cooling Off Period * that happened to also have MSP background check , for sales from Dealers - 1966

Private party secondary sales outlawed, hence requiring all sales/ transfers/ gifts/ etc to go thru a Md Regulated Weapons Dealer - Oct 1, 1996

The relevant factiod not asked , but of equal interest-

EBR's reated to 21yo, 7 day, MSP background - 1994 . At this time the former Md Pistol & Revolver Dealer Licensing scheme had a name change to Regulated Weapons Dealer Lic . Dealers who had FFL , but not P&R ( yes, this was not uncommon at the time ) , could then no longer sell EBR . This eventually made FFL only gun dealers mostly a non-viable business model .

Can you please expand the acronyms EBR and P&R?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Can you please expand the acronyms EBR and P&R?

P&R = Pistol and Revolver. MD had a dealer license that was required, in addition to the FFL to sell pistols and revolvers.

EBR = Evil Black Rifle. They added the rifles currently on the FSA 2013 banned list to become "regulated" firearms, which required filling on a Form 77 and a 7 day wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom