• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    House Hears HPRB Repeal Bill Today 4/2!

Remember to tune in to the Maryland General Assembly (MGA) TODAY (Tuesday 4/2) at 1 PM when the House Judiciary Committee will be live streaming their hearing of the Senate’s handgun permit review board (HPRB) repeal bill (SB 1000) for the first time on the House side.

The bill:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/fr...b=01&ys=2019RS

To watch the hearing live go the MGA home page:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frm1st.aspx?tab=home

Go down the right side column below the heading “What’s Happening Now” to “Live House Committees” and look further down for “Judiciary” and click on the red “live” button on the right side when it appears, to open the live streaming hearing video and audio.

Keep refreshing this home page: these hearings almost never start on time; the red “live” button won’t appear until the live-streaming starts and page is refreshed after it starts.

(Remember also, the MGA live streaming opens in a pop-up window, so to view it you must go into your phone or laptop Internet browser and select “allow pop-ups” in your browser to be able to view the live stream.)

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Remember to tune in to the Maryland General Assembly (MGA) TODAY (Tuesday 4/2) at 1 PM when the House Judiciary Committee will be live streaming their hearing of the Senate’s handgun permit review board (HPRB) repeal bill (SB 1000) for the first time on the House side.

The bill:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/fr...b=01&ys=2019RS

To watch the hearing live go the MGA home page:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frm1st.aspx?tab=home

Go down the right side column below the heading “What’s Happening Now” to “Live House Committees” and look further down for “Judiciary” and click on the red “live” button on the right side when it appears, to open the live streaming hearing video and audio.

Keep refreshing this home page: these hearings almost never start on time; the red “live” button won’t appear until the live-streaming starts and page is refreshed after it starts.

(Remember also, the MGA live streaming opens in a pop-up window, so to view it you must go into your phone or laptop Internet browser and select “allow pop-ups” in your browser to be able to view the live stream.)
    Given the make up of the General Assembly, this will most likely pass...

Derek

Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Mar 7, 2017
    Denton, MD
    Thanks Deep Lurker!

Now is the time to call every member of the judiciary committee. If we make enough noise they'll know were watching them. Might make then think twice.

Blackbeard

Jan 1, 2019
    What the legislators don’t get is that the HPRB has been a conduit for those qualified and determined to reclaim their right that Maryland has unlawfully restricted. I guarantee none of them understand, or have attempted to understand, the process and the people voluntarily pursuing a permit.

Removing the HPRB will further restrict that Constitutional right and much more quickly force Maryland down the road DC has gone to Shall Issue.

Those same individuals, who have spent considerable time, effort, and money will now not have a remotely reasonable path through the HPRB, but do have the will, desire and resources to continue to fight for their constitutional right. What’s the old saying - Dont’ Wake a Sleeping Bear.

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    Called Senator Ellis office, had to leave a message as no one answered the phone. I stated, I'm in opposition to the bill. I don't think we need to clog the court further, nor waste more money and resources on something that is already working. Nor do I understand why this is an Emergency Bill. I would like an explanation as to why this is an emergency?

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    What the legislators don’t get is that the HPRB has been a conduit for those qualified and determined to reclaim their right that Maryland has unlawfully restricted. I guarantee none of them understand, or have attempted to understand, the process and the people voluntarily pursuing a permit.

Removing the HPRB will further restrict that Constitutional right and much more quickly force Maryland down the road DC has gone to Shall Issue.

Those same individuals, who have spent considerable time, effort, and money will now not have a remotely reasonable path through the HPRB, but do have the will, desire and resources to continue to fight for their constitutional right. What’s the old saying - Dont’ Wake a Sleeping Bear.

I think they understand all to well. I think that is why they are pushing it as an emergency measure.

Blackbeard

Jan 1, 2019
    Best of luck to them and thanks to them for providing justification for a path to shall issue. If they truly were concerned with public safety they would understand they are much better off with the HPRB than Shall Issue which is where they are headed.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I think they're calling it emergency in case Governor Limp-wristed Larry decides to grow a pair and hold onto it and veto at the last moment. They can say, "Hey, this is an emergency, so we need an emergency session to address it." They will have this if both houses pass it. The cards have been stacked. If it leaves committee as favorable, the HPRB is toast.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    So, if it leaves committee as favorable, then it has one chance left in the House. Floor amendments. They will do everything they can to shut down floor amendments at this point. If any delegate can offer a constructive amendment to the bill that passes, it will require action with the Senate. That keeps us in play. Better not to get to that though and amend, find unfavorable, or simply hold onto it in the committee where it would die.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I made a few calls today to delegates on the judiciary. I actually got a real person at Del Atterbeary's office. She said that she wrote it all down. :lol:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

^^ this

This map is the only testimony I will send. It says it all. MD will be blue very soon. Supreme Court likes to deal with edges cases, and thats us.

Note that the Supreme Court has requested a response in Rogers v Grewal, NJ carry case, another edge case. Now that Kavanaugh is seated, its only a matter of time.

2560px-Concealed_carry_across_USA_by_county.svg.png

Deep Lurker

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 22, 2019
    1 PM HJC hearing on the HPRB repeal bill SB 1000 now “postponed until 2 PM.”

Updates to follow.

Second pic: HJC Bill status board; bottom line shows SB 1000 as “pending.”

(For info on watching the live stream of this hearing today at 2PM go to post #1.)

Attachments

• D6E15E22-3361-4CEB-9643-6016C2F22BD8.jpg
      D6E15E22-3361-4CEB-9643-6016C2F22BD8.jpg
      101.6 KB · Views: 372
    • 930F1DEA-EEFB-45B7-8296-D22E8D4AD94B.jpg
      930F1DEA-EEFB-45B7-8296-D22E8D4AD94B.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 372

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Are we playing the long game or short game here. If what I highlighted in bold above is actually how it goes, wouldn't that be what we want?

Also, if the HPRB is removed, the applicant will still be able to appeal the MSP decision to the Office of Administrative Hearings ("OAH") which hears appeals from administrative agency decisions, like MVA license suspensions for DUI matters. After the OAH, applicants would get another appeal to the Circuit Court in Baltimore County. Am I missing something regarding the process should the HPRB go away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom