• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    no problem with the range at on target...but they are expensive when it comes to weapons and ammo...

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Try going to on target, it is in AA county and the people are nice as long as you don't do anything really stupid.

It can get pricey without a membership.
    But they have a large, laid back staff and all their handgun prices include the ILS (just add $11 for BKDGND and 6% tax).

Has anyone had a problem at ON Target?

Besides all the bullet holes in the division barriers?

Nope.

Pay2Play

Jul 3, 2008
    Gambrills
    I went into Select Fire twice over the past 2 weeks. The first time the young kid was there, and lets just say his customer service could be improved. The second time there was an older gentleman who was actually pretty nice once we got past the cell phone question.

simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    I went into Select Fire twice over the past 2 weeks. The first time the young kid was there, and lets just say his customer service could be improved. The second time there was an older gentleman who was actually pretty nice once we got past the cell phone question.

I couldn't have said it better, I choose each location based on what my needs are that day. The only time i go to select fire is when i am alone on a weekday mid day. NO ONE is there. 75% of the time i draw the older gentleman who is like Pay said, actually quite nice. The little shit head on the other hand, i just say as little as possible get my lane, shoot, pay and go home. The only issue i've ever had at on target is that when you buy the silhouette targets you're not supposed to shoot head shots because "they go up in the ceiling tiles..:rolleyes:...however if you buy the target with the 6 smaller targets on the page, its ok to shoot at the top targets even though the are at the exact height as the head of the silhouette target, this makes no sense, i think its just a way for them to bitch. So i throw them for a loop and turn my target upside down and blow the head out.

On target is a nice place, i have two negatives for it though, further away from select fire for me, and there's always a shit load of people there when i go. And thats ok but the quality of people and shooters never seems to change from location to location so i really dont feel safe next to them regardless.

The thing i will say is that when i shoot with my wife and my father, which is usually on a friday night, i go to on target where i can feel a little bit better with the great customer service and generally good selection.

overall its your personality that will decide which you like more and which is worth it to you. I'm the kind of person that can bend a good bit before i snap but if i snap its way overboard so in retrospect kids like the ******* a SF at the end of the day makes minimum wage or slightly better, i pull well over 6 figures i get the last laugh.

smokering

Day Walker
    May 16, 2008
    AA
    Select Fire reminds me of the "Good Ol Boy Network" sometimes.....I don't think they mean any harm for those that put up with the "ribbing" and give back what they put out. The kid is the older gentleman's son I believe and let's just say we all have been young once and thought we knew it all. He probably has more range time then the average customer and just confuses cockyness with confidence. They seem to treat their regulars with the same "disarming charm" as they do the occasional shooter, but seem to remember those who come in and whose skill sets and safety knowledge they are comfortable with.

I took my NRA safety course there and they break my balls every time I'm there about my arms preference, when I'm going to buy something there, how infrequently I shoot there, etc. I have also brought friends there to shoot and they have never busted mine or their balls regarding safety or anything to do with following range rules. I guess like many places some will greet you with open arms from the beginning or you stick it out long enough to want to fit in. I figure when I go there I know what to expect and it doesn't faze me in the least what they may break my balls about. I figure at least they know me enough to not give me a hard time about knowing what I am doing, which really is what counts. Seems the older guy (Wayne) thinks anything that is not a Glock is crap when it somes to self defense and their basic and advanced tactical classes. I do wish the lanes were better lit, but I will say I've never been chastised for any behavior there but have seen them jump on some peoples' ass. Of course maybe you get overly cautious (protective) when someone decides to put one through their head at your location. JMHO

jorjohn11

Feb 26, 2006
    Anne Arundel County
    I bought a membership at Select Fire for a couple of years when they first opened. They had some of the same issues when they first opened, but it sorted out after some of them left. I got to know the owner and never had any problems that other people had. I wish they did the Hogan Alley shoots again like they used to run. Talk about yelling and screaming! Except when I lost a mag halfway through one run, the safety guys laughed there a##es off. I did too before it was over. It was a lot of fun. I played hookie from work twice to shoot the events.

Jettster

May 18, 2008
    Oddly enough, I went there last week to check it out. I wasn't shooting, but I wanted to see the place before I committed. (I usually go to Continental or Horst McCann) The place is dimly lit, poorly stocked and the older man working the counter was very rude to me. Here it is, I walk in, there are HUGE signs saying leave your cell phone in your car, even if it is off. There is one on the door, so I left my phone in my car. Some younger "military" looking guys walk in and have their phones. The man actually YELLS at them and asks them if they are stupid or just illiterate. I turned around and left.

I did see they have "tactical" training clearing rooms and they have a "tactical" club that meets and they run scenarios in a warehouse with flashbangs, smoke bombs etc... They had about 6 SKS's on the back wall, but they don't allow non-pistol caliber rifles.

I wouldn't waste my time personally.
    ________
    buy herbalaire

Last edited:

Remo

Jul 7, 2008
    Rockville
    Select Fire reminds me of the "Good Ol Boy Network" sometimes.....I don't think they mean any harm for those that put up with the "ribbing" and give back what they put out. The kid is the older gentleman's son I believe and let's just say we all have been young once and thought we knew it all. He probably has more range time then the average customer and just confuses cockyness with confidence. They seem to treat their regulars with the same "disarming charm" as they do the occasional shooter, but seem to remember those who come in and whose skill sets and safety knowledge they are comfortable with.
    The "Cell Phone Q & A" is almost a right of passage at SelectFire. I have transferred a few class III items through Wayne Nowicki, and it used to bug me no end. However, one advantage to using them for a class III transfer is that they will allow you to drool over your firearm, and also shoot it at their range, while the transfer is pending.
    That being said, I can't think of any good reason why they continue to operate the way they do, and I for one no longer use SelectFire.

tigmaned

Feb 25, 2007
    Crofton
    why dosen't some one just bitch slap the young guy!!!
    i driven by the place on soem of my trips to Dick's sporting good.
    heck he place looks like its closed down to me?

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    why dosen't some one just bitch slap the young guy!!!
    i driven by the place on soem of my trips to Dick's sporting good.
    heck he place looks like its closed down to me?

Because is would make the news, I can see the headline now, "level headed customer bitch slaps partially retarded, emotionally disturbed, ritalin Junkie."

As for it being closed, no it's still open, they just like to maintain the "this job would be great if it wasn't for the customers" approach.

simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    Doesnt anyone actually tell the owner about the issues 90% of this board have with this place? I mean Marriottsville range got rid of the anal RO's, is it that hard to find reliable people to staff the store that arent complete assholes? I mean if business is hurting so bad for them and their jackasses.. someone tell them...?

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Doesnt anyone actually tell the owner about the issues 90% of this board have with this place? I mean Marriottsville range got rid of the anal RO's, is it that hard to find reliable people to staff the store that arent complete assholes? I mean if business is hurting so bad for them and their jackasses.. someone tell them...?

Hard to fire family and friends, besides try to tell the HJIC(Head Jackass in Charge) that his kid's a retard and he will take it personal. His business, his rules, his lost profits.

As for their cell phone ban, that's against Federal FCC regs. You can't ban their possession or use in forums and places open to the public. You can jam signals like some movies and theatres but you can't ban their possession.

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    When I clear a room, I use a bean burrito.

As to telling a business that they need to treat their customers with civility let alone respect, that would seem to be like telling them they need to charge more for a product than they buy it themselves for.

If some business truly pisses me off the last thing I want to do is tell them how they could improve, even if I thought they were clueful enough to pay attention.

The one time I went shooting there, they decided to "critique" my weapons, the young prick chastising me for having a "too clean a 1911" and that Les Baers weren't for serious shooters. :crazy:

Another time I remember stopping by there to drop off some pamphlets for the proposed AWB a year or so back. I went in, got bitched at for having a cell phone (even though I read the sign & left it in the car). I had a few words with the person behind the counter (the young prick), told him where to stick his class III license, and left. If the place ever went out of business, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep. :tongue01: :tongue01: :tongue01:

I will make it a point to let anyone & everyone know not to step foot in there.

So to answer your question, I do NOT recommend them.

On-Target, Continental, And others are far better. YMMV...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The one time I went shooting there, they decided to "critique" my weapons, the young prick chastising me for having a "too clean a 1911" and that Les Baers weren't for serious shooters. :crazy:

Another time I remember stopping by there to drop off some pamphlets for the proposed AWB a year or so back. I went in, got bitched at for having a cell phone (even though I read the sign & left it in the car). I had a few words with the person behind the counter (the young prick), told him where to stick his class III license, and left. If the place ever went out of business, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep. :tongue01: :tongue01: :tongue01:

I will make it a point to let anyone & everyone know not to step foot in there.

So to answer your question, I do NOT recommend them.

On-Target, Continental, And others are far better. YMMV...

No need to sugar-coat it, how do you really feel?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom