• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Jim, decaf please. Thanks. :D

I believe even Texas makes you qualify for your permit. I do not remember if you must qualify with each gun or just show range competency.

Great idea, but in truth not often done.

As I said, a system like MI's would be great, compared to MD's current ways.

Let's get the current rules changed.

Virginia requires handgun safety competency, not separate qualifications per pistol. I really keep hoping that Maryland gets this worked out so I don't have to disarm every time I cross the border to get to Pennsylvania. :party29: Good luck, we're pulling for you!

Jim

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    The second amendment is my "carry permit" at times simply because it's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6!
    $120 fee for a "permit" to exercise our basic constitutional right? That's an INFRINGEMENT if there ever was one!

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Jim, decaf please. Thanks. :D

I believe even Texas makes you qualify for your permit. I do not remember if you must qualify with each gun or just show range competency.

Great idea, but in truth not often done.

As I said, a system like MI's would be great, compared to MD's current ways.

Let's get the current rules changed.

Changed how? We're arguing with idiots, these morons don't listen to the facts. They don't like guns, so they don't want people carrying them, even if it means that people are protecting themselves. I emailed the MD state representative (John Sarbanes) about the magazine capacity restrictions and got this:

Thank you for contacting me to express your views about gun control legislation. I appreciate hearing from you about this important matter and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

Sadly, gun violence is far too common in American society. I believe it is important to put in place measures that prevent criminals from accessing dangerous weapons. As such, I support vigorous enforcement of background checks and other common sense measures that prevent gun violence. However, I appreciate your point of view and will be sure to keep your comments in mind as we strive for a balance between legal gun ownership and preventing criminal activity.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me on this issue. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,

John Sarbanes

Member of Congress
    What kind of b/s is that? Didn't even answer me. I said this back:

Thanks a lot for your reply. Limiting the amount of rounds a magazine can hold will not keep criminals from committing violent crime. If one were go to on a shooting spree, they would simply bring along more magazines, magazines are cheap, and easily purchased from any gun store with cash, and no questions asked. MD is one of the only states with this ridiculous law. I can drive to PA and purchase a 30 round magazine, or a 75 round drum for an AK47, or AR15, and etc... and have no issue, as this is not illegal, nor is owning the weapon as per the second amendment. Limiting magazine capacity will NOT keep "dangerous weapons" out of the hands of criminals, as they have other means of obtaining weapons which I am sure you are aware of. Magazine capacity does not lower crime. Baltimore is number two in the COUNTRY for violent crime, barely behind Detroit. This law is unfair, and useless.

I'm a democrat, but most of these democrats today are freaking morons.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    I'm a democrat, but most of these democrats today are freaking morons.

Uh oh.

Just kidding. My advice to you is to voice your opinion, vote carefully, and be patient while SAF and Mr. Wollard (with support of MSI) fight this battle in court.

Read up on the lawsuit (and Palmer v. DC) to familiarize yourself with the arguments and just wait. Many of us are frustrated with not being able to carry.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Uh oh.

Just kidding. My advice to you is to voice your opinion, vote carefully, and be patient while SAF and Mr. Wollard (with support of MSI) fight this battle in court.

Read up on the lawsuit (and Palmer v. DC) to familiarize yourself with the arguments and just wait. Many of us are frustrated with not being able to carry.

Don't forget to support MSI and SAF with some $$. MSI is only $10/yr.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    What does $10 a year go to? I don't want to be supporting one of these groups that doesn't do anything.
    While this forum is not affiliated with MSI, I would guess a large percentage of members here are members of MSI. From legislative action, to rallys to voting insight, no group does more for Maryland gun rights than MSI (Maryland Shall Issue).

Please join today.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    While this forum is not affiliated with MSI, I would guess a large percentage of members here are members of MSI. From legislative action, to rally's to voting insight, no group does more for Maryland gun rights than MSI (Maryland Shall Issue).

Please join today.

I'll check them out. Thanks.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    What does $10 a year go to? I don't want to be supporting one of these groups that doesn't do anything.

Well MSI did contribute $10,000 to and work with the SAF in bringing the lawsuit against MD's may issue system.MSI prints and distributes informational materials to inform Marylanders that 40+ states recognize their residents rights so why are we less worthy of these same fundamental rights? MSI organizes Open Holster Rallies, Booths at Fairs,Lobbying efforts and Peace and Goodwill among Men all for $10 a stinking year.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    I have applied, been rejected, and am now waiting for my appeal trial.

Nearly 70% of all MD CCW permits are issued to the LEO/Security/political community. Judges, retired police officers, elected officials, security/prison guards, etc...

Nearly 30% of all MD CCW permits are issued to business owners, doctors who prescribe drugs, or others that handle or carry money or "valuables" of significant worth.

Less than 2% of all MD CCW permits are issued for "personal protection" reasons.

Most CCW permits are issued with restrictions, placed on the carrier to be used only for instance, while they are performing their duty or carrying valuables.

Personal Protection applications are scrutinized HEAVILY for CURRENT acts of RECORDED or VERIFIABLE acts of threats of death, targeted SPECIFICALLY AT YOU. Living in a bad neighborhood, for example, is not a valid reason because ALL of your neighbors are at risk, not just you (follow that logic). If your perp goes back to jail, your permit goes with him, because MDSP feels as though your threat is now behind bars.

So, unless you are in the first group, I'd suggest the second. Make sure that you can get records of deposits or of the value of the items you are carrying. In any case, unless some perp threatened to kill you on national television, outside the local police barracks, forget the third option.

faze

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    Baltimore County, MD
    Yeah I don't fit into any of those categories, I just want to feel safe, because I don't.

Still b/s the way they're giving out these permits. Total b/s.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Go to the Maryland 2A Issues sub forum and look for anything that says Maryland Shall Issue. We put out periodic updates that sum up our (read: our members) involvement in all things relating to the fight. Most pertinent at the moment would be the candidate recommendations. Along with a few other Maryland 2A groups, MSI surveyed all candidates for office in Maryland regarding a number of 2A issues and endorsed candidates in specific districts/offices.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    I have my own business and can't get a permit. Cuz I haven't been robbed, mugged, beaten, stabbed, become a statistic .. and the $ is non refundable. Doesn't matter about carrying $ or what neighborhoods you work in... go figure. I do work in VA, WVA and DE alot so I have applied to VA for a non resident CCW. Funny, I don't pay taxes there and they'll give me one! lol!

Man, I don't know what you have been reading, but if you are a legitimate business (i.e. Incorporated, LLP, LLC, etc., have the state paperwork to prove it, have an actual BUSINESS back account, can show 12 random deposit slips in the last 12 months and 12 BUSINESS purchases related to your business in the last 12 months, have minutes of your BUSINESS meetings appointing you to a position where your duties are listed as making BUSINESS deposits and withdrawals) then YOU'RE IN. They don't even look to see if the deposits are made by cash or check. They don't ask how much money you carry or deposit, etc. like they used to do.

I know of at least 5 other small business people like myself who have gotten these permits in Maryland recently. Several of them are right here on this board.

mrjam2jab

Jul 23, 2010
    Levittown, PA
    I would like a system like Michigan has, based on what i have read. If you do not want to carry, there was little change to their previous buying process. If you apply for a carry permit, you take and must pass a state course. Then the forms and personal info is sent to the state police and a background check is done. Pass that and you are issued a permit. You then qualify with each gun you want listed on the permit. Renew every five years.

By chance are you referring to NV? You have to qualify with each semi-auto tou want to carry but any revolver if you desire. I don't see any such requirement in MI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom