• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Glad to hear the pistol range is back up and running. I’ll be there tomorrow for some fun.

Made it out yoday amd got lane 8 for 2 hours in the cold. Pistol range was still boarded up and closed. They were letting people shoot pistol at 25 yards after showing that they could hit the broad side of a barn however.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    Glad to hear the pistol range is back up and running. I’ll be there tomorrow for some fun.

Not yet, email I got from CC:

Good morning,

Hap Baker Pistol Lanes are now due to reopen on February 22nd due to renovations and unexpected weather delays.

The Rifle Range lanes are open. Please see the Range Officer on duty if you would like to shoot pistol on the Rifle Lanes at 25 yards.

Thank you,

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Does anyone know if the pistol lanes are reopened yet?

Not as of Friday. RO’s have told me three different dates and they’ve yet to actually be open. So far I’ve made 4 trips expecting them to be open. I take both rifles and pistols so I don’t waste my time, but don’t base your plans by what they tell you. They also have decided not to allow pistol shooting on the rifle lanes. I miss the old days at Hap. There’s zero consistency there now.

lunchbox369

Nov 22, 2018
    Thanks for the update. Its 7 minutes away from my house so its the most convenient as far as distance. Is there anywhere else that isnt an hour drive from westminster?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Not as of Friday. RO’s have told me three different dates and they’ve yet to actually be open. So far I’ve made 4 trips expecting them to be open. I take both rifles and pistols so I don’t waste my time, but don’t base your plans by what they tell you. They also have decided not to allow pistol shooting on the rifle lanes. I miss the old days at Hap. There’s zero consistency there now.
    March 1st is the date now. The bad weather set them back a week. You also can ask the RO to shoot pistols at the 25 yd targets on the rifle range for the time being, for what that’s worth.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    March 1st is the date now. The bad weather set them back a week. You also can ask the RO to shoot pistols at the 25 yd targets on the rifle range for the time being, for what that’s worth.

No they won’t allow pistol shooting at the rifle range after last weekend’s poor display of safety protocol by some inexperienced shooters.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    No they won’t allow pistol shooting at the rifle range after last weekend’s poor display of safety protocol by some inexperienced shooters.

Would you mind providing details? I'm trying to figure out why a pistol vs rifle has a distinction with poor safety from inexperienced shooters.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Would you mind providing details? I'm trying to figure out why a pistol vs rifle has a distinction with poor safety from inexperienced shooters.

From what I overheard, some shooters in the morning were repeatedly muzzle sweeping the RO with a loaded handgun. I have no way to know exactly what happened. I just overheard him tell another shooter why they were no longer allowing pistols on the rifle range.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    From what I overheard, some shooters in the morning were repeatedly muzzle sweeping the RO with a loaded handgun. I have no way to know exactly what happened. I just overheard him tell another shooter why they were no longer allowing pistols on the rifle range.

That's what I thought it would be, but in that case, pistol vs rifle is irrelevant and sounds like just an excuse (as opposed to a true justified reason) to ban pistols. Could have easily "asked" them to leave and still allow other pistol shooters. But, I wasn't there, so what do I know?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    That's what I thought it would be, but in that case, pistol vs rifle is irrelevant and sounds like just an excuse (as opposed to a true justified reason) to ban pistols. Could have easily "asked" them to leave and still allow other pistol shooters. But, I wasn't there, so what do I know?

I agree with your assessment of the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom