• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I just got this third hand from a friend of my son. Has anyone seen this yet?
    He said it was caught this morning on the Patuxent River near the naval base.

I am calling BS.
    The positioning of the dorsal to pectoral fins is puzzling, as is the dorsal shape. There are no sharks in The Western Atlantic with those features- the pictured shark is not a Bull or Sandbar. I would guess it is a Pigeye/Java Shark- which is native to Northern Australia.

ETA- Bulls are confirmed to be in The Pax River, but the pictured shark isn't a Bull.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I am calling BS.
    The positioning of the dorsal to pectoral fins is puzzling, as is the dorsal shape. There are no sharks in The Western Atlantic with those features- the pictured shark is not a Bull or Sandbar. I would guess it is a Pigeye/Java Shark- which is native to Northern Australia.

ETA- Bulls are confirmed to be in The Pax River, but the pictured shark isn't a Bull.

Are you sure you want to go up against this type of evidence?
    :)

Attachments

• 6816337C-BB98-4C51-8B6B-6F67A078986C.jpg
      6816337C-BB98-4C51-8B6B-6F67A078986C.jpg
      51.2 KB · Views: 268
    • 127CB2EB-F331-4DEC-9079-EF2585EBC5DA.jpg
      127CB2EB-F331-4DEC-9079-EF2585EBC5DA.jpg
      48.8 KB · Views: 270

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Today, 07:29 PM
    LimaVictor

Re: 2018 fishing report thread
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by buellsfurn
    has the tackle box herd of a huge shark being caught in paxriver this morn
    Nothing yet but there was talk of a sighting this past weekend. I believe they said the target ships. Thats where alot of guys were chasing cobia this weekend. Sold alot of live eels to the cobia chasers. Cobia like to follow bullsharks into the bay and feed off the scraps the bullshatks are eating on.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Me and the wife went out last night on the upper potomac. Catfish are biting good we landed 8 channels and 4 flatheads. They were all over 24" the largest was a 30" channel. All caught on fresh cut bait. The water is still high and muddy with the occasional debris still floating down river.

Attachments

• 20180811_202915-800x600.jpg
      20180811_202915-800x600.jpg
      74.6 KB · Views: 252
    • 20180811_222616-600x800.jpg
      20180811_222616-600x800.jpg
      55.7 KB · Views: 250

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    I am calling BS.

DNR is confirming it:

https://www.facebook.com/MarylandDN...993416186074/2047529285299135/?type=3&theater

Kinda looks like a bull to me too, with the exception of the pointed dorsal:

thumb-500.jpg

DNR is confirming it:

https://www.facebook.com/MarylandDN...993416186074/2047529285299135/?type=3&theater

Kinda looks like a bull to me too, with the exception of the pointed dorsal:

thumb-500.jpg

Along with the pointed dorsal, the pectoral fins in the photographed shark appear too far forward for a Bull- the front of the dorsal should line up to the middle of the pectorals, or close to it.
    The DNR is showing it on FB, but I'm still saying the pictured shark is not a Bull.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Along with the pointed dorsal, the pectoral fins in the photographed shark appear too far forward for a Bull- the front of the dorsal should line up to the middle of the pectorals, or close to it.
    The DNR is showing it on FB, but I'm still saying the pictured shark is not a Bull.

The shark's name appears to be Brian Watson, so they must have found some ID....

;)

BTW, if they hung any of us by the ankles, I bet some stuff would move forward too... ;)

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

My wife knows the waterman pictured. What shark species inhabiting the east coast would you suggest it is?

BTW, if they hung any of us by the ankles, I bet some stuff would move forward too... ;)

giphy.gif

I just got this third hand from a friend of my son. Has anyone seen this yet?
    He said it was caught this morning on the Patuxent River near the naval base.

It's a bull shark, confirmed by DNR, caught in a pound net. Not the first, won't be the last. A very good friend of mine lives on his boat in Solomons and has seen them swimming in his creek often. They follow the cow nose rays into the bay and prey on the new born and young. They also pup (give birth) in the area.

It's not uncommon to find them even further north in the bay. Bull sharks can tolerate fresh water and have been caught very far inland in rivers around the world.

http://www.wbal.com/article/330232/124/maryland-dnr-300-pound-bull-shark-caught-in-st-marys-county

Leviathan

Jun 14, 2012
    So I followed up on the advice given here and checked out patuxent river park on Croom airport road. Beautiful place, full of vegetation. Looked to be perfect for bass or snakehead. Sadly a few guys were already set up on the small pier behind the visitors center (20 ft long or so) and I didn't want to fish on top of them, so I looked for another spot and found and even smaller pier with more people. These can't be the only bank fishing spots in this park, can they? It looks perfect for the kayak guys but I'm not there just yet. Any knowledge/advice on where I can fish the area from the bank would be appreciated.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Leviathan - if you fly fish at all, try the upper part of the Patuxent, in the Laytonsville area. Bait casting might be allowed there too. I fly fished there once. I've never seen others fishing. It requires a little bit of a hike to get to a good spot, but you can be there within 10 - 15 min from one of several parking lots. This is freshwater.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Trolled up a bunch today. NOAA was a bit off on their forecast for winds and waves:mad54: A bit chopped up this morning.

AADF1E5F-F2C4-4FBD-B553-F99363493345.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom