• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yup , I use about a bag a day in cold weather .

I gues I was poorly worded. What I was leading into :

Day to day heating - pellet stove , load once , set thermostat .

Emergency only - Old school simplicity, firewood , match, and kindling . A few days of stoking the fire less onerous than dealing with recalcitrant portable generator in a blizzard or ice storm .

Of course with sufficent overkill and enough $$ - Pellet and wood stoves . Propane space heater(s) that run w/o electric , and dedicated huge LP tank . Huge ass fixed generator system with auto start up .

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    Yup , I use about a bag a day in cold weather .

I gues I was poorly worded. What I was leading into :

Day to day heating - pellet stove , load once , set thermostat .

Emergency only - Old school simplicity, firewood , match, and kindling . A few days of stoking the fire less onerous than dealing with recalcitrant portable generator in a blizzard or ice storm .

Of course with sufficent overkill and enough $$ - Pellet and wood stoves . Propane space heater(s) that run w/o electric , and dedicated huge LP tank . Huge ass fixed generator system with auto start up .

exactuallly to the max plus infinity and beyond
    :thumbsup:

stimpy17

Mar 10, 2015
    Western Maryland
    Pellet stove will use less total weight of pellets, than a woodstove would of wood , albeit 40 or 50lb at a time instead of a cpl chunks of wood at a time.

Long term outage, or total off grid situation , advantage wood . Routine heating when grid is usually up, advantage Pellet .

My question to pose is how much will it be used as routine heat source vs standing by in case of emergency?

Right now we're looking at a direct vent, non-electric LP stove. Reasoning is same fuel for heat and hot water. Back-up to this will be a high quality kero heater. Throw in some electric baseboard strips for good measure. I'm still trying to find the cost of a BTU for LP, Electric, kero and wood/pellets.
    That might be the deciding factor.

stimpy17

Mar 10, 2015
    Western Maryland
    :gun1:
    Geez, John, you heard about the hunting trip stimpy was on that turned nasty too? My, how word gets around. It was so sad. Stimpy is lucky to be alive!

Stimpy, don't hesitate to send me a PM as you get settled into the Deep Creek area. It's a great place to live. The Hooligans are your new neighbors. And we will do what we can to get you connected.

Hooli the Goat is still in charge of "approving" new inductees into the Hooligan group. But he's so old now he'd just lick your hand and say "welcome"...

:thumbsup:

:gun1::gun1:

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    Right now we're looking at a direct vent, non-electric LP stove. Reasoning is same fuel for heat and hot water. Back-up to this will be a high quality kero heater. Throw in some electric baseboard strips for good measure. I'm still trying to find the cost of a BTU for LP, Electric, kero and wood/pellets.
    That might be the deciding factor.

I tried a variety of kerosene heater - never found one that didn't smell or occasionally put out soot, no matter what brand of kerosene

they are good for a goose pit or a big tent/small cabin

borrow a kero heater first then decide

cleanest fuel is propane but I know someone who put an outdoor boiler in his house - pretty cool and he burns everything

Attachments

• temp2.jpg
      temp2.jpg
      66.7 KB · Views: 208

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    I tried a variety of kerosene heater - never found one that didn't smell or occasionally put out soot, no matter what brand of kerosene

they are good for a goose pit or a big tent/small cabin

borrow a kero heater first then decide

cleanest fuel is propane but I know someone who put an outdoor boiler in his house - pretty cool and he burns everything

At risk of going off-topic. I purchased a couple of kero heaters as my primary back-up heat source in event of emergency. They aren't perfect but a bit of smell or soot beats freezing for a shorter-term outage. Longer term - doesn't seem practical to stock enough of any fuel source other than wood.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Likewise I have a cpl kero heaters for backup .

Pellet prices vary regionally, and day to day during winter.

Delivered LP prices vary widely from region .

Likewise firewood can be $$ in upscale 'burbs . Live in the sticks , and own a chainsaw , and essentially free , other than your sweat equity .

But for emergency backup , simplicity , and reliability in actual emergencies is more important ( to me ) than maximizing btu/ dollar .

brysize

Oct 17, 2011
    Howard Co., MD
    If back up is what you want then wood stove is it.

Pellet would only help if you have electricity. It is great for supplemental heat but for a back up for that size house then wood stove with a passive fan on it. The fan works on the stove heating it up.

Tom43491

Dec 9, 2009
    Timonium
    +1 for a pellet stove. You can buy a small generator for $400 or less that will run it and a bit more, so you'll be handled in power outages. Cleaner, easier, less creosote buildup in the chimney... you'll be glad you made the choice.

This. I had a pellet stove and it heated 2000+ square feet, and a simple generator kept it going during a few extended power outages. It was a great investment, and we pretty much never used the electric backup heat, no matter how cold it got outside. And pellets are way less hassle and easy to store.

We sold the house and are settling on the new one soon. The new one has a fireplace which will definitely have a pellet stove insert installed ASAP.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    This thread, if you haven't already stumbled across it, may offer you another option for heating: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=165261&highlight=anthracite

We are going into our 4th year using a coal stove for our primary heat. We choose a "hand fed" stove that requires no electric other than to power a circulating blower to move the heat more efficiently into the living area versus relying solely on convection. We have been very happy (and very warm!) ever since it was installed.

For reference - we have a Cape Cod that was built in 1996 with 6" exterior walls. Over a winter season, we use about 1-1/4 tons for total fuel cost of ~$340 if coal is at $275 a ton.

Tgun301

Feb 16, 2017
    SOMD
    Go with gas. My parents burned a woodstove for years. Recently switched to gas and they love it. No mess and works when the power is out. Quick to heat up and no wood or bags of pellets to carry. I have both wood stove and pellet. Both have ash mess and heavy loads to carry. When I get older, I will probably switch to gas.

111savage

Mar 17, 2013
    I’ll play odd one out

I never post, not my thing.

But i gotta weigh in here. Please research modern wood stoves. These are the epa rated types not the old big welded steel or cast iron ‘smoke dragons’ of years ago. They are clean efficient require no power and some are darn near works of art.

To note doesn’t matter what you burn, the fuel has to be dry. When you buy pellets it’s done for you and sealed in a plastic bag and driven from who knows where. Wood split and stacked for a year burns so easily and cleanly. Most people issues are trying to burn unseasoned wood. If you don’t split your wood find a dealer who can tell you how long it’s been split and stacked. Storing in rounds doesn’t count. You can check with a moisture meter from Home Depot or Lowe’s they cost about 20 bucks. Look for 20%.

Personally if pellets ‘fell from the sky’ or could be picked off the ground for free, i might consider it. Split wood is that for me. My only source of heat is a woodstove, north west Md, in a 2200 single level house. During winter I’ll be answering my door in shorts....

Should you look, good brands are Woodstock soapstone, jotul, blaze king, lopi, hearthstone.

Good reading can be had at places like the hearth.com for all information including wood and pellet and gas.

Whichever you choose i pray it keeps you and yours warm to the bones.

Devonian

Ultimate Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    I never post, not my thing.

But i gotta weigh in here. Please research modern wood stoves. These are the epa rated types not the old big welded steel or cast iron ‘smoke dragons’ of years ago. They are clean efficient require no power and some are darn near works of art.

To note doesn’t matter what you burn, the fuel has to be dry. When you buy pellets it’s done for you and sealed in a plastic bag and driven from who knows where. Wood split and stacked for a year burns so easily and cleanly. Most people issues are trying to burn unseasoned wood. If you don’t split your wood find a dealer who can tell you how long it’s been split and stacked. Storing in rounds doesn’t count. You can check with a moisture meter from Home Depot or Lowe’s they cost about 20 bucks. Look for 20%.

Personally if pellets ‘fell from the sky’ or could be picked off the ground for free, i might consider it. Split wood is that for me. My only source of heat is a woodstove, north west Md, in a 2200 single level house. During winter I’ll be answering my door in shorts....

Should you look, good brands are Woodstock soapstone, jotul, blaze king, lopi, hearthstone.

Good reading can be had at places like the hearth.com for all information including wood and pellet and gas.

Whichever you choose i pray it keeps you and yours warm to the bones.

What stove do you have? I'm working on installing a woodstock at my house right now.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    we went with a pellet stove for the following reasons..

1 - i dont have a good source for wood, if i had my own source or a good source that would be cheap, that my have changed things

2 - installation and venting the exhaust was cheaper with pellet stove

3 - have have a battery backup and a full house generator

These were the key reasons.

I would have preferred a straight wood burner, but given #1 and #2, i went the pellet route.

111savage

Mar 17, 2013
    What stove do you have? I'm working on installing a woodstock at my house right now.

I’ve burned vogelzang, jotul and Woodstock.

My current and favorite is a Woodstock fireview. Once it’s lit i will basically never have to light a match again. Great construction, looks like art during summer & and it gives off this strange soft heat due to soapstone construction. Note i loved the jotul Oslo i had. But cat stove and soapstone takes the cake hands down.

For those of who who burn gas look at their gas stoves. Similar as wood stoves mentioned above. (Gas isn’t available to me)

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I have a wood stove upstairs love it and a pellet stove in the basement and love it. My wife likes the pellet stove you fill it and turn it on set the temp. I deal with the wood stove up stairs. Look at the warranties on the pellet stoves mots are 1 -2 years. I went with a Pleasant Hearth PH35PS it heats up to 1700 sgft and has a 5 year warranty made in the USA. My basement is a walk out in insulated and 1200 sqft the stove does a great job on medium keeping it 70 degrees. I purchased it from Tractor Supply online delivered right to my garage. I have installed many stoves if you are not a DIY person get it installed by a professional.

pac-bay

Dec 23, 2011
    Wood or pellet stove

We are a 15 minutes east of DCL and grew up here with wood and coal heat. After 40 years of cutting wood to heat with we are switching to a propane fire place for ease of use and less work. I will dearly miss the wood stove. I looked at a pellet stove but that involved buying hauling and storing pellets. The 44k btu propane fireplace and new gas range hopefully will work out with our winter power outages. We remolded the house added new windows and doors and had all of the walls spray foamed. Flip a switch for heat means more time in the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom