• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Where is this backbone mountain? My googling says it's in west virginia

Just above my belt. It runs NE to SW through the southern portion or Garrett Co. It's named after all the knobs along the ridge looking like a back bone. I believe it is also the Eastern Continental Divide. All the rivers and streams flow northwest towards Pittsburgh, to eventually wind up in the Gulf of Mexico.

Attachments

• BBR.jpg
      BBR.jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 454

Trek4Ward

Hooligan #10
    Mar 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Wife and Friend's wife found a cedar chalet type just after the first bridge; big enough for four adults, two 15 yr old hockey players, and an 8 yr old rug rat. Rented a pontoon our first day, tubed and explored/sightseed the lake; then it rained.... and rained LOL

We did get some ice cream; damn good ice cream at Lakeside Creamery. Got to hit the whitewater course at Wisp, wife and I did the small inflatibles, rest did the rafts...

I am ashamed to say we did not hit Brenda's, the Mountstate Brewery, nor Arthurs BBQ....

As we were docking the pontoon, the wives were talking to one of the youngsters who were working there. Girls came to Rob and I, telling us of a great seafood restaurant they were told about. Supposedly the place also had good chicken tenders (for the youngster and thier hockey player).... Girls took us to the Green Turtle??!!! Both Rob and I said we could have stayed in Frederick for that.... but, after teasing the girls, dinner wasn't too bad and we were tired afterall.

Next day was rain out mostly, but we did manage some mini golf in between raindrops. Rob and I cooked a steak n chicken dinner for the girls, enjoyed some cornhole under the porch and then several games of "crimes against humanity" (not truly appropriate for the kids, but what the hell.. was fun seeing them blush a little).

Last day, we ran to the Wisp for the whitewater rafting, and then the girls wanted to horse back ride.... got the whitewater done before the storms hit.... Girls said they wanted to go to another restaurant they heard about.. some Uno... even the boys said it was Pizza Uno or Chicago Uno and was a chain.. girls said no.... we were right... but girls were happy...

Wanted to hit the chair coaster at Wisp this AM, but the rain as we packed the cars took its toll on the girls.

We had fun, and next time will hit the "good" food places.... Thanks for the advice guys.

You are correct that UNO is a chain, but it's better up there than any other UNO I've been to. Love that place. It's no Dutch's Daughter, but I've never had a bad meal there.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Just above my belt. It runs NE to SW through the southern portion or Garrett Co. It's named after all the knobs along the ridge looking like a back bone. I believe it is also the Eastern Continental Divide. All the rivers and streams flow northwest towards Pittsburgh, to eventually wind up in the Gulf of Mexico.

Not the divide. Note savage river flows to the Potomac.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not the divide. Note savage river flows to the Potomac.

Yes, it does. Straight through the fracture between Big Savage Mt and Backbone. Geologically(or is it geographically?) speaking, they are not the same mountain(that's why they have two different names, I would guess).

Take another look at your maps(and signs). The Savage R. does not flow east of Backbone Mt. It flows north of it. What you need to see is that Meadow Mt ties in with Backbone through the Swanton area. They kind of stitch together via a series of ridges and knobs. Pay close attention to Contrary Knob. That seems to be the prominent diversion.

Last edited:

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    I know this is an older thread, but....Our family loves to go to Deep Creek in the fall/winter months. Much less crowded and we prefer cold weather over summer anyway, the more snow, the better. We have a friend who has a rental house and we grab it at least once a fall/winter season, usually twice. We love Mountain State Brewing Co. and also Pine Lodge Steakhouse is very good. And who can argue that Arrowhead Market isn't a highlight? It's 24x7 of just about anything you could need. And, of course, it wouldn't be complete without at least one trip to the Savage River range.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I know this is an older thread, but....Our family loves to go to Deep Creek in the fall/winter months. Much less crowded and we prefer cold weather over summer anyway, the more snow, the better. We have a friend who has a rental house and we grab it at least once a fall/winter season, usually twice. We love Mountain State Brewing Co. and also Pine Lodge Steakhouse is very good. And who can argue that Arrowhead Market isn't a highlight? It's 24x7 of just about anything you could need. And, of course, it wouldn't be complete without at least one trip to the Savage River range to meet the Hooligans...

Fixed your post for you mumfrey. :innocent0

;)

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Ha! Thanks...I've never formally met any of the Hooligans but I suspect I've seen them around there at some point...

There are enough pics pics of us posted on the forum. Our mugs are easily recognizable if you see us...

;)

reccitron

MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    I know this is an older thread, but....Our family loves to go to Deep Creek in the fall/winter months. Much less crowded and we prefer cold weather over summer anyway, the more snow, the better. We have a friend who has a rental house and we grab it at least once a fall/winter season, usually twice. We love Mountain State Brewing Co. and also Pine Lodge Steakhouse is very good. And who can argue that Arrowhead Market isn't a highlight? It's 24x7 of just about anything you could need. And, of course, it wouldn't be complete without at least one trip to the Savage River range.

Both of those restaurants are very good. jGs pub is also a good family bar/restaurant. They have great pub style food. Their hoagies are huge.

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    Was just out near Deep Creek for MLK weekend. We stopped into the American Legion in Oakland on Friday night for a couple beers. Got entered into the raffle for the Ruger 308 rifle. Will be pretty funny if we win. I told my friend he could have the rifle, it would be his first firearm.

We stayed at a friends house about 15 mins away with a private range. Shot so many guns. It was my first time taking advantage of a friends private range and it was AWESOME. It's going to spoil me. Never want to go back to a public range again. We usually shoot at the Green Ridge state forest range on our winter camping trips.

mumfrey

Nov 16, 2017
    Northern Balt Co
    Was just out near Deep Creek for MLK weekend. We stopped into the American Legion in Oakland on Friday night for a couple beers. Got entered into the raffle for the Ruger 308 rifle. Will be pretty funny if we win. I told my friend he could have the rifle, it would be his first firearm.

We stayed at a friends house about 15 mins away with a private range. Shot so many guns. It was my first time taking advantage of a friends private range and it was AWESOME. It's going to spoil me. Never want to go back to a public range again. We usually shoot at the Green Ridge state forest range on our winter camping trips.

My favorite time of year to be there. AND a private range?! Now that's what I'm talking about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom