• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    That's what I like about Young. It calls the 9th Circuit's bluff after Peruta, where the court said en banc there is no right to concealed carry but pointedly said as well that they were not reaching open carry. Hawaii is stuck on the reality that they don't issue any sort of permits to anyone, thus imposing a complete ban ala the Illinois law struck down in Moore. So, given that, Hawaii has to take the tack they took in district court, viz, that there is no 2A right at all outside the home. That's a stark argument and an ideal case for the SCT on that narrow question. So, I am rooting for Hawaii to take this to the SCT. They will probably ask for en banc as well, and then the onus is on the 9th circuit on whether to rule that there is no right at all outside the home. That will make them uncomfortable. Maybe. Or maybe not. But it does put the question to them starkly of whether the 9th circuit have any intellectual honesty after Peruta. The cynics will say "NO!" emphatically. And they may well be right. We shall see.

I am seeing though with the dissent that the anti judges are not going to come out and say no right outside the home. They will say that as long as even a phony licensing scheme exists, then it's not a ban so we're happy. More legal and sloppy gymnastics.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    just a question, with a slight tangent.

regarding those states that require permit to carry, in any way, AND are no issue, no reciprocity for out of state residents, is there a case to be made?

i mean, lets say california. they are wont issue and won't honor anyone else, and don't allow open call for all intents and purposes.

is there recourse?

same for the other usual suspects. ny/nj/hi/?md?...

has this type of case been pushed?

(don't mean to derail, mod's please feel free to move if necessary)

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I am seeing though with the dissent that the anti judges are not going to come out and say no right outside the home. They will say that as long as even a phony licensing scheme exists, then it's not a ban so we're happy. More legal and sloppy gymnastics.

Even the antis will have a hard time with that, given that Hawaii hasn't issued a concealed carry permit in decades. And said as much in open court.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Even the antis will have a hard time with that, given that Hawaii hasn't issued a concealed carry permit in decades. And said as much in open court.

Correct, however the dissent didn't get into this, unless I missed it. It seems even if their side makes a huge concession or tries to hold to the hard line that the 2A doesn't go past your front door, that judges will come up with another reason not even advanced by the government.
    Side question-if this goes en banc, do the concessions made by the county (that the court must find no 2A outside the home for them to win) before the 3 judge panel still hold?

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    just a question, with a slight tangent.

regarding those states that require permit to carry, in any way, AND are no issue, no reciprocity for out of state residents, is there a case to be made?

i mean, lets say california. they are wont issue and won't honor anyone else, and don't allow open call for all intents and purposes.

is there recourse?

same for the other usual suspects. ny/nj/hi/?md?...

has this type of case been pushed?

(don't mean to derail, mod's please feel free to move if necessary)
    Yes, they've all been sued and each won before liberal panels. That is, except for DC, see Wrenn v. DC. CA is under lawsuit now for open carry, see Nichols v. California.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016

Sure, but all Hawaii would have to do is pass a may issue scheme that grants a few permits here and there, and I have no doubt that the 9th Circuit will rule that satisfies the two-step intermediate scrutiny. Didn't Peruta (en banc) as much as say that "Even if we presume that concealed carry is a right, the state's licensing system satisfies intermediate scrutiny?"

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Sure, but all Hawaii would have to do is pass a may issue scheme that grants a few permits here and there, and I have no doubt that the 9th Circuit will rule that satisfies the two-step intermediate scrutiny. Didn't Peruta (en banc) as much as say that "Even if we presume that concealed carry is a right, the state's licensing system satisfies intermediate scrutiny?"

That would make perfect sense for HI to do, but I doubt they will. Gun control has become an ideological battle, and for HI to give even one inch by allowing a few token permits, it would be viewed as an unacceptable loss and concession.

Let's hope they do try to stand their ground and take their absolutist position through en banc and on to in front of The Supremes (soon to be starring Justice Kavanaugh). Rabid ideologues usually end up as their own worst enemies.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    That would make perfect sense for HI to do, but I doubt they will. Gun control has become an ideological battle, and for HI to give even one inch by allowing a few token permits, it would be viewed as an unacceptable loss and concession.

Let's hope they do try to stand their ground and take their absolutist position through en banc and on to in front of The Supremes (soon to be starring Justice Kavanaugh). Rabid ideologues usually end up as their own worst enemies.

Yup. I've said it before and I'll say it again. None of this will stop until we get a Voting Rights Act style preclearance law, meaning that gun laws need to be approved prior to being implemented. Right now, it's too easy to pass them and then wait out the several years it takes for courts to hear them.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    None of this will stop until we get a Voting Rights Act style preclearance law, meaning that gun laws need to be approved prior to being implemented. Right now, it's too easy to pass them and then wait out the several years it takes for courts to hear them.

That is ingenious, and should be a default part of the request for relief in any suit challenging anti-Bill of Rights laws. And it's relief that only needs to be granted once for a long-term effect.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Yup. I've said it before and I'll say it again. None of this will stop until we get a Voting Rights Act style preclearance law, meaning that gun laws need to be approved prior to being implemented. Right now, it's too easy to pass them and then wait out the several years it takes for courts to hear them.

Yup, an entire populace could be disarmed within the legal time frame we currently have ... maybe.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan

Agreed. Until that occurs, why can't individual judges or citizens file lawsuits for an emergency stay of those laws until it is settled in appeals courts?

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    That is ingenious, and should be a default part of the request for relief in any suit challenging anti-Bill of Rights laws. And it's relief that only needs to be granted once for a long-term effect.

The problem is the courts never do. They allow the states or cities to "craft" slightly different regulations and start all over again. It's bad faith, and everyone knows it, but the courts aren't willing to stop it.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    Agreed. Until that occurs, why can't individual judges or citizens file lawsuits for an emergency stay of those laws until it is settled in appeals courts?

They can, but the judges never grant them. They always give the states months to "figure it out," whereas abortion and gay marriage rulings were implemented immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom