• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Just grabbed one of their premium BCGs. Everything looks great. Be sure to break it down and give it a good wipe down though. I had some random metal shavings(hair thin) in and around it. One was in the extractor pin hole. It's all cleaned off, oiled up, and in a gun now.

Attachments

• 20200419_152036.jpg
      20200419_152036.jpg
      70.1 KB · Views: 1,125
    • 20200419_151417.jpg
      20200419_151417.jpg
      71.5 KB · Views: 1,143

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Tonight I bought the Faxon pencil barrel with the pinned gas block from Faxon, Spike's upper receiver and a midlength gas tube from Joe Bob's, and the PSA BCG from PSA. Just about $400 so far. I'm hoping my two guns that are on consignment sell by this weekend. Then I can get the handguard and optic. Probably the Acog 1.5 x 24. The plan is a nice, light build for carbine courses, 3-gun, and SHTF. It's going to be more of a patrol rifle, which is why I'm going for the lighter setup. I built a lower with a Spike's snow flakes lower, spiffy LPK, A duty trigger set to four pounds and a minimalist stock. Should be a nice, light, reliable firearm.

Last edited:

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands

I’m a believer in sons products after putting the time into researching them. I was being sarcastic. Also- you got those bcg at a steal at the price you paid in November.

I wish I could afford something from solgw. Their “base rifle” quickly turns into a serious Gucci ar without even checking many option boxes. 1,500 dollars gets you what a lot of folks would consider a base model ar-15 parts list. ( yes I realize the difference in quality, just making mention). If I had the money, I’d surely buy one without batting an eye.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    It seems like the decision has already been made, but Geissele occasionally seems to discount their M4A1 bcg to about $109 or so. I'm pretty sure the toolcraft bcg is a better deal, but it's something to consider with possible future parts scarcity on the horizon.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Only PSA thing I ever bought was one of their bolts. Admittedly, it was a Black Friday special. After a couple years of it sitting in my parts bin, I put it into a build. Gun refused to cycle. Even suppressed with adjustable gas block. I finally eliminated everything but the bolt. Tore it down and 'rebuilt' it and the gun runs like a top.

PSA says OOS. I'd wait and get this...https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolcraft-5-56-223-chrome-phosphate-bolt-carrier-group/

...or this...https://www.righttobear.com/AO-Precision-Phosphate-Bolt-Carrier-Group-158-HP-p/aom16-hpt-mpi.htm

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Only PSA thing I ever bought was one of their bolts. Admittedly, it was a Black Friday special. After a couple years of it sitting in my parts bin, I put it into a build. Gun refused to cycle. Even suppressed with adjustable gas block. I finally eliminated everything but the bolt. Tore it down and 'rebuilt' it and the gun runs like a top.

PSA says OOS. I'd wait and get this...https://www.armorally.com/shop/toolcraft-5-56-223-chrome-phosphate-bolt-carrier-group/

...or this...https://www.righttobear.com/AO-Precision-Phosphate-Bolt-Carrier-Group-158-HP-p/aom16-hpt-mpi.htm

any experience with their stripped lowers?

I ordered one of the trump lowers for pure humor, but am wondering if the damn thing will even run right if i make a build out of it.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I have a PSA premium that got the BCG service by Chad. Mine happened to spec out fine but it is my understanding that many times they have issues.

I bought 2 SOLGWs at $109 from Primary Arms a while back but would pay the $150 for one if I needed it. If you're looking for a budget BCG I believe AO Precision makes a consistent phosphate BCG. I'd gauge it if it was more than a range toy.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Gauging aside, in my experience with the few carrier groups I have, rock River arms chrome bold carrier groups have been my favorite. The staking jobs were astounding, and the finishes were very quality as well. Not many hick ups on those, great buy for what they charge as well.

Surprisingly, one that really got on the ehhh list was my lwrc bcg out of a di rifle. Finish is wearing off after 500ish rounds or so. No major hiccups with regard to function, which is kore important, but thumbs down on their finishes.

Apoc armory bcg worked pretty well function wise, the nickel boron finish wore off fairly quick though, not as bad as lwrc.

Barrett uses pretty nice bcg in their di rifles. DLC Coated with proper staking. Functions without hiccups so far.

My experiences. Ymmv :)

pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Just my 2 cents from my experience...
    PSA-Sub $100, functional; about 85% chance of normal reliable function/not a dud from factory

Aero/Spikes-Roughly $100-$110, basic Mil-Spec quality; about 95% reliable/duty ready

SOLGW-$110-$120, basic Mil-Spec, but you pay for the QC, duty quality

BCM/DD->$120, as close to GTG as possible

Waiting on an Expo Arms Nitride BCG for $89 from Primary Arms. Seems like a good budget brand...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom