• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    To the M1 Garand gurus,

I took a CMP Garand out to shoot, and had a curious issue with the rear sight. At 50 yds, 6 o'clock hold on a 5 in diameter circle, I can hit dead center with S&B 150grn and PPU 150grn. Problem is, the rear sight is bottomed out (cannot click any lower) on elevation, and windage is centered for the most part. Is this a fluke, or is this how it is supposed to be (I don't think it is, but it would be nice to know if it is)? I can't knock it, as I can always return to my 50 yd zero.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Q

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    How is your POI/POA at 100 yards? At 50 yards if I remember right the .30-06 is still rising in it's trajectory.

Also, if you unscrew the elevation you can move the sight down without "clicking" the elevation knob. So basically yours could be set that way from the building. Most garands will be different in how many clicks to 100 due to the height of the front sight post and the CMP armorers picking pieces from a barrel of parts to build these rifles. The CMP doesn't do anything for accuracy they just make sure it fires.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I'll check it at 100 and see what happens. Right now, it's nice to know I can get to a 50 yd zero without having to count clicks. :)

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Qbeam, as JohnC says "The CMP doesn't do anything for accuracy they just make sure it fires." That's generally true for CMP rifles that have not been through their shop.

My recommendation is to disassemble and clean your rear sight assembly before relying on its accuracy. It's not hard to do. When I returned home from a CMP class where I built a Garand last year I checked the CMP rifle I already owned and the rear sight was full of dried cosmoline. Below is a pic of what was in the sight gears.

Once you clean, lube and adjust your rear sight to bottom, 8 clicks up from bottom is the starting point for 100 yard elevation.

Good luck.

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0301.jpg
      IMG_0301.jpg
      96.7 KB · Views: 414

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    What do you want it to be? Be happy that it's that way rather than 20 clicks up. You'll have a better cheek weld when you shoot at longer ranges.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    J8064,

What do you clean with, and then lube with? Mobile 1 grease?

Q

Mineral spirits and a toothbrush will clean the crud. A light coat of gun grease on the gear teeth and a spray of CLP or Ballistol on the assembly and you should be GTG.

If you've not R&R'd the rear sight assembly before you should watch some "How To" videos and/or get help from someone close who has experience. It's not hard to do. Here's a link to a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=ovrAzjrqPDs

Good luck.

Orlando

Hows the lock up on the trigger guard?How far from closing does it stop hard before you have to apply a lot of pressure to get it to close? If the tail of the trigger guard meets the trigger housing with no resistance this may be your issue. Worn compressed wood resulting in loose lockup can affect POI.
    You can always file 1/8" off the end of the aperture and you will get 5-8 more clicks of downward elevation.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Hows the lock up on the trigger guard?How far from closing does it stop hard before you have to apply a lot of pressure to get it to close? If the tail of the trigger guard meets the trigger housing with no resistance this may be your issue. Worn compressed wood resulting in loose lockup can affect POI.
    You can always file 1/8" off the end of the aperture and you will get 5-8 more clicks of downward elevation.

Qbeam, a bad stock "could" cause lock up issues and affect accuracy. That's something to check. But bad stocks in CMP Garands would be very unusual.

Either way I'd encourage you to NOT take a file to your Garand parts. :facepalm: The best solution is to determine what your sight issue is and fix it with correct parts.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress...

Orlando

Qbeam, a bad stock "could" cause lock up issues and affect accuracy. That's something to check. But bad stocks in CMP Garands would be very unusual.

Either way I'd encourage you to NOT take a file to your Garand parts. :facepalm: The best solution is to determine what your sight issue is and fix it with correct parts.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress...

A stock with compressed wood is not "bad"
    Most USGI stocks have compressed wood, doesnt matter if they come from CMP or not. It is from all the years of having the trigger guard locked.
    Compressed wood on stocks is a very common issue
    No amount of cleaning the sight is going to fix the issue:facepalm:
    You can replace the stock with new commercial, grind off the aperture or live with it.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I have the same problem with one of mine, I did file a little off the bottom of the rear sight, guess what. still didnt give me enough, then i got smart and measured the blade on the front sight, turns out even though it did not look filled or messed with in anyway, it was significantly shorter than the others i have. Just a option for you to look at .

Orlando

I have the same problem with one of mine, I did file a little off the bottom of the rear sight, guess what. still didnt give me enough, then i got smart and measured the blade on the front sight, turns out even though it did not look filled or messed with in anyway, it was significantly shorter than the others i have. Just a option for you to look at .

Good point:thumbsup:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks, Folks. I'll see what it looks like at 100 yds, after checking and cleaning the rear sight. As for the stock, it appears to be a new CMP stock. I'll check on how hard the closing of the trigger group is.

Q

Orlando

If its a new CMP commercial stock lock up will be very tight, that's not the issue Something else to look for , the barrel channel in the forearm may be to narrow and it may be holding the barrel up. It may need alittle wood removed
    Before someone tells you CMP would never send out a "bad" stock its very common to have to do some work to the CMP commercial stocks

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    So am I looking for rub marks on the wood and barrel? Should it be snug and not soft taps to get it in?

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom