What's the current best value for a Md legal Ar15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    These from Windham Weaponry, esp at $700:

I am partial to the Dissipator model
    rifle-556-ww.jpeg

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    These from Windham Weaponry, esp at $700:

I am partial to the Dissipator model
    View attachment 411289
    Dissipators look so cool. I love that design.

MaierApril

Oct 17, 2017
    The LWRC di rifle is hard to beat for the budget you mentioned. Great quality and a local company as well. Mine has run flawlessly.
    Another great, cheaper option would also be the IWI Zion. Its a good rifle for the price and you will be able to include good optics for the budget you mentioned.

MattFinals718

Nov 23, 2022
    Arlington, VA
    How is that even possible?

It's got the indented barrel, right?

MSP says the M4A1-SOCOM is not banned. The LE6920 is. (according to them)

Correct. Any M4A1 clone (in either SOPMOD Block I or Block II configuration) with a SOCOM-profile barrel is MD-legal. With the exception of BCM, all of the companies that make SOCOM barrels (Colt, FN, Daniel Defense, Centurion, etc.) advertise them as "heavy", and even the USG Technical Data Package for the M4A1 describes the SOCOM barrel as a heavy profile. I personally own two SOCOM-barreled M4A1 clones (a Colt Block I and a Daniel Defense Block II).

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    This thread made me curious what it cost me to put together my son's FDE AR. This whole project started around a barrel I bought when someone posted it - Faxon had an overrun of 16" HBAR barrels they were selling for $99.

I've pieced this together partly from an order I made to PSA for parts, and partly from looking stuff up - I didn't feel like finding all of my order history from various vendors, so some of this is an approximation:

$99.00 Faxon 16" HBAR
    $50.00 - PSA Blem Stripped Lower
    $119.99 Palmetto State Armory Magpul MOE EPT Lower Build Kit - Flat Dark Earth
    $60.00 - Aero Upper receiver
    $35.00 - Upper parts kit
    $99.99 Premium 5.56 Nickel Boron BCG with Carpenter 158 Bolt - No Logo
    $104.95 PSA Custom Cross-Cut Lightweight 12.5" MLOK Partial Picatinny Handguard
    $15.99 PSA AR15/M16 7075 T6 Forged Mil-Spec Charging Handle - 24080
    $8.96 Spike's A2 Birdcage Tactical Flash Hider 5.56 NATO, Black - SAFH510
    $13.20 Yankee Hill Machine Low Profile Gas Block (Set Screw) YHM-9383
    $12.99 PSA AR15 Gas Tube - Mid-Length
    $0.99 PSA AR15 Gas Tube Roll Pin

Grand total: $621.06

That doesn't include some of the tools I bought, such as the barrel dimpling jig - Faxon barrels don't come with a set screw dimple, and I wanted to make sure I had positive alignment for the gas block, so I bought the jig figuring I could use it in the future, which I have. It also doesn't include the Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II that I used to color the anodized aluminum parts, or the aftermarket stuff like the JP trigger springs, the current Radian Raptor charging handle, or the custom dust cover.

It seems to me that from an economical perspective a person will never do better than buying a completed upper they put on a lower build, but if you build it yourself, you know exactly what's in it and how it went together.

This is the rifle built from the parts above - that $621 doesn't include the optic, mount. This rifle is a shooter though - I don't know if it's the barrel or the sum of the parts being decent, but it's the most accurate of the ARs I own. The least accurate AR I own is a PSA completed upper.
    Budget AR w Optic.jpg

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    This thread made me curious what it cost me to put together my son's FDE AR. This whole project started around a barrel I bought when someone posted it - Faxon had an overrun of 16" HBAR barrels they were selling for $99.

I've pieced this together partly from an order I made to PSA for parts, and partly from looking stuff up - I didn't feel like finding all of my order history from various vendors, so some of this is an approximation:

$99.00 Faxon 16" HBAR
    $50.00 - PSA Blem Stripped Lower
    $119.99 Palmetto State Armory Magpul MOE EPT Lower Build Kit - Flat Dark Earth
    $60.00 - Aero Upper receiver
    $35.00 - Upper parts kit
    $99.99 Premium 5.56 Nickel Boron BCG with Carpenter 158 Bolt - No Logo
    $104.95 PSA Custom Cross-Cut Lightweight 12.5" MLOK Partial Picatinny Handguard
    $15.99 PSA AR15/M16 7075 T6 Forged Mil-Spec Charging Handle - 24080
    $8.96 Spike's A2 Birdcage Tactical Flash Hider 5.56 NATO, Black - SAFH510
    $13.20 Yankee Hill Machine Low Profile Gas Block (Set Screw) YHM-9383
    $12.99 PSA AR15 Gas Tube - Mid-Length
    $0.99 PSA AR15 Gas Tube Roll Pin

Grand total: $621.06

That doesn't include some of the tools I bought, such as the barrel dimpling jig - Faxon barrels don't come with a set screw dimple, and I wanted to make sure I had positive alignment for the gas block, so I bought the jig figuring I could use it in the future, which I have. It also doesn't include the Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II that I used to color the anodized aluminum parts, or the aftermarket stuff like the JP trigger springs, the current Radian Raptor charging handle, or the custom dust cover.

It seems to me that from an economical perspective a person will never do better than buying a completed upper they put on a lower build, but if you build it yourself, you know exactly what's in it and how it went together.

This is the rifle built from the parts above - that $621 doesn't include the optic, mount. This rifle is a shooter though - I don't know if it's the barrel or the sum of the parts being decent, but it's the most accurate of the ARs I own. The least accurate AR I own is a PSA completed upper. View attachment 411482
    trickg,

I will also say that your build also checks off another box the anti gunners squawk about. IT is not a scary BLACK gun.
    Makes me wonder if I should do one in Pink.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    trickg,

I will also say that your build also checks off another box the anti gunners squawk about. IT is not a scary BLACK gun.
    Makes me wonder if I should do one in Pink.
    I'm going to try to do one in dark purple for my daughter - I'm not quite sure how I'll go about doing that though because Aluma-Hyde II doesn't come in purple, and I haven't really gone down the rabbit hole of other gun coatings to see what I could do that's viable.

Sirex