• Another tragic boating accident.

Votes: 48 17.7%
    • Not on your life.

Votes: 11 4.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Mr H

Banana'd
    Please explain your rationale for/against owning the AR-15.

This is NOT a "Bitch Thread"... please share your thoughts as a community member, or not at all.

Thanks.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I like to tell folks that "I'm rumored to own..."

But, this is, FTMP, family.

I have never been an "AR Guy"... But, with the advent of FSA2013, I ended up with some number of lowers (more than none) that I will build out some day.

I didn't "want" them, but I'll be damned if they're going to tell me I can't have them!!!

An HBAR might, some day, find its way to the bottom of a body of water, too...

;)

I want to understand the viability of them, though. Will be an interesting ride.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Because I like to tinker.
    It's a damn fine weapon.
    If I'm in a battle, there will probably be one laying around somewhere I can scavenge parts off of if needed.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Only a litany of reasons:
    Home defense
    Hunting
    Modular nature
    Seemed like an easy gun to build (it was!)
    To piss people off

I love that if I keep an extra bolt and LPK handy, I can probably deal with the vast majority of issues I'll ever have. Built mine for ~$600 a pop and that's a lot of gun for the price.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I love em, I bought the first one I ever saw in person over 30 years ago and have never looked back or stopped buying them. some folks don't like that but effem.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    The puppies ain't gonna shoot themselves.

Actually I like more traditional rifles better, but considering, reliability, utility, economical to shoot, so many options and the fact that lots of people don't want Americans to own them led me to ownership.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Because I like to tinker.
    It's a damn fine weapon.
    If I'm in a battle, there will probably be one laying around somewhere I can scavenge parts off of if needed.

You, sir, read clandestine's book.:thumbsup:

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I owned a mini-14 for several years and like the 'not scary' classic look of the wood stock rifle.It wasn't until the Md. Legislative Nannies tried to deny me the option of buying one that I told my wife I needed to get an AR 15. She is a good woman and agreed right away. The recent hate crime against the Dallas police officers made me accelerate my purchase of another one.....or two. It was a good experience for my 11 yr. old who had never been to a gun store before.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I like to tell folks that "I'm rumored to own..."

But, this is, FTMP, family.

I have never been an "AR Guy"... But, with the advent of FSA2013, I ended up with some number of lowers (more than none) that I will build out some day.

I didn't "want" them, but I'll be damned if they're going to tell me I can't have them!!!

An HBAR might, some day, find its way to the bottom of a body of water, too...

;)

I want to understand the viability of them, though. Will be an interesting ride.
    I was like you. I had a growing interest in lever actions and different types of 22LR rifles, but that damn law made me spend money on a bunch of lowers. I wanted to keep my and my childrens' future options open.

I really would have preferred getting an M1A Scout or FN P90 at the time, but no luck.

So I sat on these receivers. Then, really by chance because of a blown range trip (it was being renovated), DA helped me build my first one using one of my lowers (and a complete upper from PSA that I got for longterm keeping, just in case). I eventually took this black rifle to the range with ATTom (who has great ARs), and it was kind of fun. Then I started taking SOTAR classes, and gained a deeper appreciation for the platform.

Finally, I took the SOTAR build class, worked with Chad to decide what I wanted to build, what parts to get, etc. After finishing a lightweight, midlength gas (softer shooting) FDE rifle in this class, I have a new favorite that I take to the rifle range every time I go. If I had one rifle to choose to keep in my car in a time of emergency, it would be this one.

The attraction is, in part, the engineering and design of the platform. It's simplicity and it's reliability when properly built and maintained. The other appeal is it's balls on accuracy and, with light recoil, ability to get back on target right away. Just like the Winchester lever actions were the rifle that won the West and the quintessential American rifles of the 1870s to 1930s, Chad is correct, the 1950s AR-15/M-16 platform that continues to evolve is the present day American rifle.

I consider you to be a bleeds red, white, and blue patriot, so yes, you need one or two in your closet, and you need to eventually pass these on to your kids and grandkids. It's their heritage.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Dad had one. I shot it. meh

Buddy had one. I shot it. meh

They have never appealed to me, in looks or any other way.

I truly have never even remotely desired one.

Just not my style.

Bolts (not Bolts Rock), wheels, and John C's are more in my wheelhouse.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Because they go bang. And they do it in an interesting and an ingeniously designed and popular platform. Not my favorite platform, but that's just me, and an interesting platform nonetheless.

Interesting just like different examples of quality pistols, revolvers, bolt rifles, lever actions, slide actions, shotguns, and muzzleloaders.

Someone told me that I might have owned some of these above mentioned instruments of the devil at one time. But I'm pretty sure that isn't true. I'm older now, and I really can't remember.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I cannot either confirm or deny ...

It's a personal decision that is better left for face-to-face 'discussions' if and/or when the SHTF.

Attachments

• Zombie Apocalypse weapons.jpg
      Zombie Apocalypse weapons.jpg
      33.8 KB · Views: 1,157
    Last edited:

ARMatt

Apr 12, 2016
    NAS Pax River
    Honestly because I just have a fascination with fire arms and an AR was a nice jump for a rifle thats affordable and reliable. Plus its just really cool.

Nay_sayer

May 30, 2013
    Lothian, MD
    2013, MDS, Clandestine, a lucky karma win on a seat at a SOTAR 101 class and the allure of an 80% build all conspired to make me go black. I had very little interest in any EBRs before any of that.

SC to MD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 8, 2016
    I own an AK... never felt the need to grab an AR. Overall I don't see much use for these guns... I don't get the appeal, unfortunately. I've owned my ak for around 15 years... have lots of other guns.

They are fun to shoot and look cool.

And I guess if something were to go down terribly, I'd rather have one than not... as they say "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom