Looking for a .22 semi auto pistol for my wife's birthday.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    S&W M&P .22. Then maybe the keltec pmr30 in .22 mag. Sometimes .22mag is easier to find.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    My Wife likes my gsg 1911 22Lr. Its accurate down side is its a little cheaply made with plastic sights. I have never had problems with ammo selection some people say they do. I have ran about 600 rounds through mine and maybe two stovepipes which in my opinion is good practice because it is strictly a range gun. :party29:

I have the ATI version of this. Great pistol.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Also don't forget about SIG line of .22 rimfires based on most of their full line pistols.

My father in law bough 2 sig .22's and they bought them both back. They didnt like much ammo and one of the aluminum pieces on both of them was disintegrating pretty good. H went with the rugers after that for the .22s

Dowtom

Nov 29, 2014
    Halethorpe
    I have smaller hands and the sr22 fits me perfect. Plus it fires everything. My wife's hands are on the larger side and she loves her ruger 22/45lite

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Does anyone have an educated guess what these (new) guns previously mentioned are running price wise. Sr22, S&W 22, etc. Going to start hitting up gunshop till my HQL comes through in next couple weeks to "window" shop. Till a gun range visit can follow with a purchase and of course 7 day wait.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Most .22 semi-autos fall somewhere in the $350-$425 range when new. Browning Buckmarks and Ruger 22/45 being good examples. They have more expensive models with more options but you don't need those. Just remember that just about any .22 semi-auto needs up to 500 rounds of break-in to get operating smoothly. That may or may not mean issues during that period, but it can. Somethings to consider are, if your wife has small hands the Browning Buckmark has 2 varieties with smaller grips, the URX and UDX frame models. Also lighter guns recoil more than heavier ones so often improper grip strength will lead to stove-piping rounds in lighter guns that may not happen in a heavier one. As for reliability Browning and Ruger are the best. Not sure about some others. For instance there is a whole industry for fixing issues with the GSG/Sig 1911-22s (and how I know is I have a GSG 22 conversion kit). With Browning and Ruger the aftermarket industry is mainly for modifying your pistol for different activities not fixing them.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The only thing I don't like about the SR22 is the atrocious DA trigger pull. I took it out with my wife on a cold day and had to cock the gun for her.

I'll have to check out the M&P .22 compact. It seems to be the closest to what is now the standard in duty and carry guns.

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena

Attachments

• Ruger MK III 001.jpg
      Ruger MK III 001.jpg
      104.7 KB · Views: 132

kookymonstir

Feb 8, 2011
    St. Leonard Md
    I love my Browning Buckmark for target shooting, but your best bet is taking her to a range that rents guns and having her see what she likes to shoot.

I'm also a proud owner of a Browning Buckmark. I've had it for years, never had a problem with it after thousands of rounds and it's a pretty accurate lil plinker. My kids love shooting it too.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    The only thing I don't like about the SR22 is the atrocious DA trigger pull. I took it out with my wife on a cold day and had to cock the gun for her.

I'll have to check out the M&P .22 compact. It seems to be the closest to what is now the standard in duty and carry guns.

Depending on where you are in SoMd and your availability you are welcome to try mine out.

I have been very happy with mine. They only ammo that it seems to be picky about has been the federal American eagle. It has cycled everything else that I have fed it. I have tried numerous other brands with no problem. One day soon I will have to take some time and write up a review of my experiences so far with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom