• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrGrey

May 23, 2017
    hey guys,

I'm looking to get my very own first AR, and I need help deciding on what to get. So far, i like the Ruger AR-556, Colt 6721, Smith & Wesson MP 15-22. However, since MD has a very strict law on rifle, my options are very limited.

Is there a list of all MD compliant rifles available for purchase, the markets value, and what vendor is good to purchase?

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    hey guys,

I'm looking to get my very own first AR, and I need help deciding on what to get. So far, i like the Ruger AR-556, Colt 6721, Smith & Wesson MP 15-22. However, since MD has a very strict law on rifle, my options are very limited.

Is there a list of all MD compliant rifles available for purchase, the markets value, and what vendor is good to purchase?

2A Sales and Supplies in Jessup has Ruger AR556s on sale at a stiff discount right now. (Until they run out)

Mini14tac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 14, 2013
    North County
    Don't over look the Windham Weaponry HBC (HBAR) that is legal in MD. My choice would either be this or the Colt 6721!

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Whats your budget? AR's are like cars when comes to pricing. Check the IP section and go from there. What area are you in?

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    I'll piggyback off the OP, I was thinking about picking up the ruger556 for my little brother for his birthday(give me the money). Don't know a lot about ARs my coworkers suggest guns that's out of my budget.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    First off, welcome.

Second, agree with DA, an intro in the forum is always appreciated.

Third, you have plenty of choices. Be aware this question gets asked at least 1X per week by newer members. Don't be put off by links to other threads. There are a LOT of them.

Fouth, a price range will help. ;)

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    hey guys,

I'm looking to get my very own first AR, and I need help deciding on what to get. So far, i like the Ruger AR-556, Colt 6721, Smith & Wesson MP 15-22

The S&W 15-22 is not an AR15. It is a .22 rifle that looks like an AR. You may want to take that one off of your list. S&W makes the m&p 15 which is an AR-15. I thought I would point that out so you don't buy something that is not what you are looking for.

Posting you budget for the rifle will definitely help in getting appropriate recommendations for your first AR

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you are something of a handyman, enjoy spending money on new tools, are eager to learn some gunsmithing; then you can assemble your own. O/W, just get a basic AR with iron sights (are you an experienced rifle shooter?), shoot it, and decide where you want to go with it. Towrads that end, I think these are good AR's that are MD compliant (and this is a good time to buy):

1. Colt AR 6721 (number one recommendation)
    2. Windham Weaponry R16DA4T (dissipator model - has a longer sight radius).
    3. Windham Weaponry R16A4T
    4. Ruger AR556

The links below are from JLowes, an IP (industry partner) here and he has great pricing. I have not seen anyone offer a Colt 6721 for $800

http://www.jlowesguns.com/Colt-AR6721-Tactical-Carbine-HBAR-MD-Compliant-_p_60.html
    http://www.jlowesguns.com/Windham-Weaponry-Dissipator-Heavy-Barrel-Model-R16DA4T_p_583.html
    http://www.jlowesguns.com/WINDHAM-WEAPONRY-R16A4T-223556-HBAR_p_148.html
    http://www.jlowesguns.com/RUGER-AR-556-556MM-223REM-161-BLK-CO-MD-LEGAL-Model-8511_p_582.html

There's not really a list to choose from as any heavy barrel AR is ok. [EDit - well - sort of but not exactly]

One other route would be to have one made for you from another IP, Engage.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'll take a stab at mind reading the OP , reading backwards from his initial choices implying a price range and current market conditions subject to ongoing change :

Windham HBC - $599-ish. Decent rifle, good value.

Colt 6721 - $799-ish Decent rifle, the yardstick everything else is judged by . The word "Colt" on the side is worth minimum of $200 in resale value

LWRC DI - Currently sale priced just over $1000 - Top shelf premium rifle, currently on blowout savings for a screaming deal.

Built to your spec - Several IP's , most notably Engage Armament and Blue Fins, build rifles under their own name, and cam make one to your desired specs/ price point . Talk to them with your general desires and budget, and they will give you multiple options.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    +1 on the intro.

Besides your budget what do you want to do with your rifle? For example hunting then the question will be what game? Or target shooting ..... do you want to compete and what discipline? The more information the better we can help.

Also what is your experience level with guns in general and with AR's.

Many of our Industry Partners will be more than willing to help and when you are comparing prices be sure to include shipping and transfer fees and make certain the gun is Maryland Compliant and inquire how they handle the Maryland ten round magazine requirement.

By the way join the fight for better gun laws in Maryland join MSI.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    We probably should have a sticky thread that discusses what (in a nutshell) MD compliant means for an AR and some examples; are at least a singl place to go with other threads referenced.

gunismyfriend

Apr 24, 2017
    I'll take a stab at mind reading the OP , reading backwards from his initial choices implying a price range and current market conditions subject to ongoing change :

Windham HBC - $599-ish. Decent rifle, good value.

Colt 6721 - $799-ish Decent rifle, the yardstick everything else is judged by . The word "Colt" on the side is worth minimum of $200 in resale value

LWRC DI - Currently sale priced just over $1000 - Top shelf premium rifle, currently on blowout savings for a screaming deal.
    ☝️☝️☝️All these.
    Consider your budget and purpose.
    I just went through this, and these are the ones I considered the most.
    Keep in mind if you buy local, you need to pay tax; if outside of your area, you need to add shipping and ffl; out of state, no tax, but shipping +ffl.
    Highly recommend local if the difference isn't too much.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I'll piggyback off the OP, I was thinking about picking up the ruger556 for my little brother for his birthday(give me the money). Don't know a lot about ARs my coworkers suggest guns that's out of my budget.

If your brother gives you money to buy him a firearm, the ATF considers that a "straw man" purchase, even if both of you are legal to buy and own firearms. They busted and convicted an LEO of doing this a few years back.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Just shot in a new LWRC DI rifles last weekend. Very nice gun. No hiccups. :thumbsup:

It's easier than you think. Any AR for sale in Merryland will be Md legal.

MDRifles

Mar 9, 2017
    If your brother gives you money to buy him a firearm, the ATF considers that a "straw man" purchase, even if both of you are legal to buy and own firearms. They busted and convicted an LEO of doing this a few years back.

So if I give him money to buy his own firearms that's still considered a straw man purchase

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    So if I give him money to buy his own firearms that's still considered a straw man purchase

No, if he is the one registering the rifle in his name and taking possession of it, it is not a straw purchase. It does not matter where the money came from.

If your brother was taking possession of the firearm that you paid for and registered in your name, then it would be a straw purchase.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

Take him to a gun shop and pay for it. He does the paperwork. Perfectly legal.

Did that for my brother after he bought 200 shells of 20 gauge by mistake on his birthday weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom