Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:37 PM #21
I stand with John Locke.

I stand with John Locke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natsb View Post
Trying to nail down the cause of crime is like trying to nail down spaghetti. I did a paper in college on crime and poverty and my research blew a hole in the crime/poverty relationship.

The ten poorest counties in America are in Appalachia. And I mean real poverty. No wide screen, no air conditioning, no running water, no electricity. They also have a violent crime rate way below the national average.

I was able to point to a correlation between population density and crime, but no correlation could be made between poverty and crime.

The DOJ web site has some interesting documents with all the statistics. I'll look them up when I get to a real computer.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I do not care why we have crime. I do not care why we have hurricanes. I intend prepare for both or become a statistic.

40 + years of academic bullshit have taught us only this--- violence is very dangerous and needs to be countered immediately not after some academic writes a paper.

We will not survive another 40 + years of academic bullshit.

New motto for Baltimore contest winner???

Baltimore : It's not as f..ked as you think....

Liberty is NOT a loophole.

Thanks for a great slogan...now window stickers.
Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 07:53 PM #22
Guns 'n Drums

Guns 'n Drums

Quote:
I was able to point to a correlation between population density and crime, but no correlation could be made between poverty and crime.
I'm sure you did the study, but I'm not sure I'm buying your findings, and especially not when you consider that the worst crime in Baltimore is happening in the poorest areas of the city. How about linking crime to both population density combined with poverty?
Old December 2nd, 2013, 08:19 PM #23

Old news, preaching to the choir. You should be telling this somewhere else, like on your FB page, to your friends and family, anyone who doesn't know.......it's what I do.
Proud Patriot Guard Rider
Charter Member, JPFO
Occasional Asshole
Docster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 11:26 PM #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
I'm sure you did the study, but I'm not sure I'm buying your findings, and especially not when you consider that the worst crime in Baltimore is happening in the poorest areas of the city. How about linking crime to both population density combined with poverty?
You hit the nail on the head. High crime does not have a single source. Appalachia is much poorer than the poorest area of Baltimore but only has a fraction of the crime. Also there is no disparity. Everyone is poor.

Baltimore has both rich and poor which creates opportunities for crime that an all poor or all rich area would not have.

Anyway, back to the original point. There is no single or even primary cause for crime. So just like gun control, poverty cannot be singled out. Maybe my son has it all figured out. He says:"There's just bad people out there."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
natsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 05:57 AM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTom View Post
I've taken a few classes, too, and I'm educated enough to know that repeat offenders make up a vast majority of criminals, dude. Come ON, man... This is a massive problem, here in MD.
Years ago I worked with a guy who had walked across Asia (SE Asia to Turkey). He told me about his time in Turkey, he was staying on a commune of mainly Americans.

They had some things stolen, so they called the police. They figured that an officer would show up in a day or two to take a report and that would be the end of it.

In about 45 minutes a bus pulls up and a bunch of police get out. The officer and charge asks them what happened, and then ordered the officers to search they area. A while later, they came back, dragging a guy and carrying all the stolen items.

The officer in charge asked if these were the stolen items. They told him yes, and he turned to the other officers and said something.

They pulled out batons and started beating on the guy. The Americans asked what was going on.

The officer in charge explained, that in Turkey, when the catch someone that is guilty (still possessing the stolen items) they beat them. WHEN, not if, they are convicted, while in prison, they will be beaten. The last thing before they release them from prison, the beat them. They want them to learn to not do things like this.

The recidivism rate in Turkey? 0.5% or 1 out of 200 become repeat offenders. The recidivism rate in the US? 67.5% of those released from prison are re-arrested within 3 years.

Maybe we don't need to go as far as Turkey, but maybe make prison a PUNISHMENT.
Pinecone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:32 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Years ago I worked with a guy who had walked across Asia (SE Asia to Turkey). He told me about his time in Turkey, he was staying on a commune of mainly Americans.

They had some things stolen, so they called the police. They figured that an officer would show up in a day or two to take a report and that would be the end of it.

In about 45 minutes a bus pulls up and a bunch of police get out. The officer and charge asks them what happened, and then ordered the officers to search they area. A while later, they came back, dragging a guy and carrying all the stolen items.

The officer in charge asked if these were the stolen items. They told him yes, and he turned to the other officers and said something.

They pulled out batons and started beating on the guy. The Americans asked what was going on.

The officer in charge explained, that in Turkey, when the catch someone that is guilty (still possessing the stolen items) they beat them. WHEN, not if, they are convicted, while in prison, they will be beaten. The last thing before they release them from prison, the beat them. They want them to learn to not do things like this.

The recidivism rate in Turkey? 0.5% or 1 out of 200 become repeat offenders. The recidivism rate in the US? 67.5% of those released from prison are re-arrested within 3 years.

I don't agree with treating the thief that way. In a just society, the police would hand the clubs to the victims and let them do the beating.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
natsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 12:56 PM #27
PM Bomber

Send a message via AIM to Benanov
PM Bomber

Send a message via AIM to Benanov
Quote:
Anyway, back to the original point. There is no single or even primary cause for crime. So just like gun control, poverty cannot be singled out. Maybe my son has it all figured out. He says:"There's just bad people out there."
Thank you, that's it exactly.

I've gone to greener pastures.
Benanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 05:35 PM #28
ReMember

ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
DE is considered anti gun?
In some senses yes.

No centerfire rifle hunting, except for groundhogs. .17/.22 rimfire allowed south of the C&D for hunting squirrels. You can hunt with muzzle loaders and shotguns smaller than 10 gauge.

Cumbersome CCDW (concealed carry of deadly weapons permit = CCW) MAY ISSUE process. Classroom and live fire training. Public (published in newspaper) notification of desire to obtain CCDW.

Universal background checks.

No machine guns.

Gov and both senators are anti's.

Still much better that MD in most fronts, but that could change with rumored legislation.
adit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 05:54 PM #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

Boy they don't f*ck around in Turkey do they lol, I remember when the American kid got cained in Singapore for spray painting cars while he was over there (many years ago), it was all over the US news back then
toncapone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 06:26 PM #30
לא לדרוך עליי

לא לדרוך עליי

I can't think of any single thing that would reduce crime more than ending our war on drugs.
lsw is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Tags
2nd amendment, maryland, pistol, rifle, shotgun