• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    I picked up an ammo can full of 357 a few years back.
    there is ~150 rounds of reloads that I have ZERO history on,, see pictures.
    Would you risk shooting these?
    Also is a pack of 357mag "buck shot" ??

Attachments

• DSCN9699.jpg
      DSCN9699.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 509
    • DSCN9702.jpg
      DSCN9702.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 483
    • DSCN9703.jpg
      DSCN9703.jpg
      48.9 KB · Views: 484
    • DSCN9704.jpg
      DSCN9704.jpg
      34.1 KB · Views: 496

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I would not shoot. Do you know someone that reloads? They could remove the bullet and verify powder charge on a scale, or dump the powder, resize, charge and reseat bullets for you with know data.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    If I get into reloading, is it possible to "pull" the bullet" , dump the powder, and reload it myself?
    or would the bullet be damaged puling it?

Yes, I would be nervous shooting these with no history

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    No, I’d pull the bullets, replace the powder with something new at a known weight from the powder manufacturer and shoot it though. Now is not a time to waste bullets or primers. Just because the paper says it’s H-4227 doesn’t mean it actually is, you also don’t know for sure that the paper actually goes with those loads, just that it’s with them now.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    If I get into reloading, is it possible to "pull" the bullet" , dump the powder, and reload it myself?
    or would the bullet be damaged puling it?

Yes, I would be nervous shooting these with no history

Yes. Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Pullet is a product like what you need. RCBS makes one too.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Simple answer. No, I would not shoot those reloads. They did not come from my press nor from someone else's press that I really really trust.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Right now, the most valuable part of someone else's reloads is the case and Primer.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Thanks guys,
    Looks like I will be getting into reloading for my 357 and "future" 45-70

One of the things you'll want to strive to learn as you get into reloading is a system of processes and checks and double checks that you will learn enough to think through, and that you will then vow to follow religiously. Amongst those processes is to ensure that you verify the powder being used , as well as all other components being used. And that you NEVER have more than one powder especially, within reach on your bench at any given time.

That you can't know with certainty that either or both of these steps occured, is but one reason why you don't want to shoot reloads that aren't of your own manufacture. A mistake in this area is not unheard of, and can potentially mean an absolute disaster, regardless of what you might see written on that label.

Good luck as you learn not only answers, but more importantly, as you learn enough to begin to know what questions to ask. You just asked a great question here.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Thanks,
    I am pretty anal about checking, double checking things.

One of the things you'll want to strive to learn as you get into reloading is a system of processes and checks and double checks that you will learn enough to think through, and that you will then vow to follow religiously. Amongst those processes is to ensure that you verify the powder being used , as well as all other components being used. And that you NEVER have more than one powder especially, within reach on your bench at any given time.

That you can't know with certainty that either or both of these steps occured, is but one reason why you don't want to shoot reloads that aren't of your own manufacture. A mistake in this area is not unheard of, and can potentially mean an absolute disaster, regardless of what you might see written on that label.

Good luck as you learn not only answers, but more importantly, as you learn enough to begin to know what questions to ask. You just asked a great question here.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Reloading is like a math test with thousands of questions, but get a wrong answer, and might blow off a hand. I have safeguards to make sure mine are safe, and if in doubt, I'll pull bullets and start over, so I trust mine. I do trust hobbyist reloads from a couple people I know, but not many, all others get bullets pulled and used for bullets/brass. The buckshot loads are fun, have made a couple myself, or load a single 000 pellet in 38 short colt brass for a cheap 70gr powderpuff load that is fun as hell (and adds a few rounds capacity) in a 357mag lever gun.

JChris

Jan 10, 2021
    Clarksburg
    I use a lee single and a puller
    it really is a pleasure when you need to correct a mistake or salvage a round or just scavenge consumables

Attachments

• puller (3).jpg
      puller (3).jpg
      71.2 KB · Views: 189

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads