• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Just call them and have them send out a card that says "multi" in caliber field.

Factory upper and barrel are nice and light and well balanced. It is a very light factory barrel and since you do not have a grip below the action you want the end LIGHT so that you can hold it one handed and not change grip while loading mags with other hand (after putting in a left hand release which allows you to use thumb of left hand to depress lever while changing mags).

If you do change upper, and want a scope, I would suggest side changing to side charging upper since a scope on an SCR is going to be as low as possible and back further meaning charge hand will be cramped on normal upper.

although the gun uses AR accessories, besides balance being a bigger consideration due to grip position being further back and weaker, the other consideration is that that rifle shouldered will be higher and therefore all optics will need to be way lower than AR. If you use battery dependent red dot and flip up BUS you may want those BUS to lay super low so as not to block red dot, yet flip up above red dot ie not co-witness through, but completely above

I never even thought of the barrel weight without the pistol grip. Good thing to keep in mind when I go upper shopping. With the brass deflector I had to mount on the rail (lefty), no additional room for a BUS which also makes me cranky about the factory upper.

Have you tried the featureless DS-15? I don’t think this was around when we purchased our SCRs? Looks like it supports a fully conventional BCG vs the SCR and might also be easier to raise. I’m tempted to buy a 300 Blackout upper for the SCR and buy a DS-15 as my 556 gun.

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    Yes, that should be good to go in DC. If you want to shoot MD, that rifle has an issue with barrel profile (prohibited in MD). No issue in VA.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    In MD you have to have a heavy barrel, so it's illegal to even posses that gun in MD.
    So as a DC resident, if I ever wanted to shoot 3 or 2 gun in MD say at Thurmont, I'd need to find/buy an MD compliant rifle that is also DC compliant?

Heavy barrel being the key for MD?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    So as a DC resident, if I ever wanted to shoot 3 or 2 gun in MD say at Thurmont, I'd need to find/buy an MD compliant rifle that is also DC compliant?

Pretty much true. I suppose you could have several uppers.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Thx for the info.

I got all caught up in figuring out DC rules and options I didn't even think of MD until this thread.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

FOPA is only valid if legal to possess in both start point and destination point.

jeez if you are in DC, use/join in a range in Va. there are a couple of nice issak Waltons in Va, and also some very nice regular indoor ranges close enough

Last edited:

Ack Ack

Sep 4, 2013
    DC
    It has a thicker profile. Traditionally, heavy barrels were associated with target shooting. Compare the barrels on the Windham MPC vs HBC. The MPC barrel is thinner (to reduce weight) and also has a cutout for use with a grenade launcher.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    So having seen the previous pics on the wall of Thordsen stock equipped rifles, I was curious to see what DC would allow me to do in regard to having an AR.

I stopped by yesterday 1/15 (was pretty busy there with registrations and CCW pickups) and after a bit of a wait I had a fairly technical talk with one of the officers there. Lt. Hall was not in.

I was basically told either of the Thordsen stocks are ok (Gen II and Gen III).

I showed him a picture of an AR I was interested in and asked if I had someone else swap the stocks for me outside of DC that would be fine? Was basically told yes. They'd want to see photos before shipping and I'm sure there would be other things to do but they seemed ok with the whole idea of me having a rifle built to be compliant rather than having to buy a compliant version from say like Black Rain Ordnance.

I shoot a lot of 3 Gun in FL when I visit family down there and it is tons of fun.

I'm also going to ask them if a non-pistol grip/featureless grip like the Resurgent Arms featureless grip with a fixed stock would be ok also.

So did you complete this process or still in progress?

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    So did you complete this process or still in progress?

I'm still in the process of figuring out what is legal or not.

I did send a followup email to one of the officers at the firearms unit with some more detailed questions but he didn't respond yet.

I actually just sent another followup email to him and Lt. Hall and decided to check in on this thread.

Right now I am trying to decide between having Engage Armaments do a custom DC/MD legal build (or maybe someone else who knows. Engage guys have been good to me in the past and were very friendly and open about doing custom build.)

Or I might just build myself.

Trying to get answers from DC about legality of featureless grips that are allowed in other states combined with a fixed stock. Plus some other questions.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I'm still in the process of figuring out what is legal or not.

I did send a followup email to one of the officers at the firearms unit with some more detailed questions but he didn't respond yet.

I actually just sent another followup email to him and Lt. Hall and decided to check in on this thread.

Right now I am trying to decide between having Engage Armaments do a custom DC/MD legal build (or maybe someone else who knows. Engage guys have been good to me in the past and were very friendly and open about doing custom build.)

Or I might just build myself.

Trying to get answers from DC about legality of featureless grips that are allowed in other states combined with a fixed stock. Plus some other questions.

Keep us posted.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    3/7/2019 Update (As promised):

This is long sorry

History:
    1/15/2019: Stopped in and talked to Firearms Unit about legal AR options.
    Had some additional questions so I sent follow-up email 1/16/2019.

Did not get any response at all.

3/1/2019: Sent new follow-up email to both people in the Firearms Unit basically saying I have a lot of detailed questions, what would be best for you? Email? Setup a meeting? No response from either individual.

3/5/2019: Had a great conversation with a member here about his registration process and what DC was looking for. Very informative and helpful. Thanks!

3/7/2019: Dropped into Firearms Unit and talked to Officer. He remembered me but not my emails. We talked for about 40 minutes in between people getting fingerprinted.

Goal: What CA/NY legal options that make an AR “featureless” might be ok for DC.

Here is what I was told when I went over photos of various options (and obviously this is not legal advice to anyone and it seems like everything is a case by case basis):

Non-Traditional Stocks::

Thordsen Gen II previously approved.

Thordsen Gen III is also ok.

Fixed Stocks:

Hera Arms CQR: "they" wouldn't like that. Seems that "they" would treat that as a thumbhole stock.

Skeleton stocks are ok if they are minimalist like this one

but a skeleton stock that had any extras or holes on it would probably not be ok likethis one or the pit viper or the viper modular

Sticking point seemed to be that there was a way for your hand to go through the stock. I pointed out it was at the butt end of the stock not the trigger end but that did not seem to be a winning point.

I didn't have a good picture of skeleton + hole stock installed on a rifle so that will be in a followup email.

There are also ways to pin or fix an adjustable stock and I brought that up but he didn't really seem too keen on that idea.

What I was trying to see was if something like the Strike Industries Stock Stop would be acceptable. It was getting backed up with fingerprint people so I just decided to let it go for now.

Pistol Grip Alternatives:

There are multiple CA/NY options and I was curious what type, if any, would be ok in DC.

Definitely No: Ledesma Arms featureless grip. Too close to a pistol grip.

Maybe: I’ll call these finned grips. Officer said he had an email chain with his Lieutenant about them but he couldn’t find it so TBD. Examples I showed were:
    Mission First Tactical Featureless on a Franklin Amory CA compliant rifle
    And two Strike Industries examples:
    Simple Featureless

MegaFin Featureless

Need Clarification: I guess I’d call these shorty grips?
    Showed Officer a picture of three examples of a shorty/chopped grip.

For some reason it didn’t really register what they were. Perhaps the picture was not good enough or he was tired of the questions.
    Anyway the two of the three in that pic that I remember are:
    Resurgent Arms Featureless Grip

And Sparrow Dynamics Featureless Grip

I will attempt to get further clarification on the featureless grips.

And I didn’t even get to ask about maglock/fixed mag options.

Anyway am just trying to get some clarification/guidance from DC on what “featureless” options would be acceptable.

I kept joking with the Officer that if CA allowed it how bad could it be?

We will see.

There were also some other strange things that came up like it would be a big deal if I had another upper and switched them out for each other. Also that if I had a parts kit and assembled an upper out of it DC would look on that as manufacturing? So that stuff will definitely wait until later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom