• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Which 4 were appointed by Hogan?

Is there any info about their approach to the catch and release justice system in Baltimore?

Appointed by hogan : Middleton, schiffer ( a balto co prosecutor),
    Nugent, dorsey. Judges can’t comment on any program or system becaus eit will destroy their impariality for new cases.

I will tell you that i personsllynxwmined the cases that davis and then hogsn cited to stand for the proposition that “ the judges were releasing criminals or they were getting out early, or they were getting light sentances” ( which hogan repeated in the press). 90percent of the cases davis used ( he had to give his data to the media and i got it) were plea bargains...deals between def counsel and states atty. these deals are brought to the bench for a plea. The judge can turn them down, but the judge knows little of the case and relies that the states atty is recommending the best disposition possible. Many, many times the reason for the plea is because the state can’t prove its case. Witnesses recan or will not testify ( or they are killed before trial), police issues ( the gun recovery squad arrests, credibility in the city) wtc. So they shoot for what they can get and put the defendant under supervision so if he violates probation his full sentance is invoked. Much is not as simple as it might appear.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    We have heard during this past week and during the State Senate hearing that Baltimore real problem is repeat offenders. In one case an individual was release for a crime involving a weapon and was arrested shortly again after release for wait for ..... Yep another crime involving a weapon.

Just because you have a degree doesn't mean you have wisdom or the smartest rock in the pile.

I couldn’t agree more with your last statement. You are right on, and i would add that some of the lawyers i have run into over many years are flat out dumb. And so are some judges. And lazy. There are sme excellent judges in this group. My point in jumping into this was to ask whether the allegations made, the refusal to vote for these judges, was based on somehting particular to them or any of them, or it was just baseless. I think by and large, the citynhas one of the best benches of the state. Not every judge is good. Some are extraordinary. Such is the process.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    And very smart and measured.

I have seen Judge Nugent suppress evidence, specifically a recorded confession, which was both legitimately obtained and turned over to the defense in a timely manner because he didn't understand the rules of discovery. The defendant was a violent criminal with a long rap sheet who ended up getting a suspended sentence on a plea due to the fact that Judge Nugent gutted the State's case as a result of his own ignorance concerning the specific means by which discovery can be transmitted. This is basic knowledge in the legal world - no experienced lawyer should make that kind of mistake, much less a sitting Judge. He apologized to the ASA a week or so later but the damage was already done. Too little, too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom