• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    If I am to get a low priced ar15 for occasional target shooting, cleaning and then putting away do you really need the forward assist and bolt cover. I am not going to the desert and I have never had a problem with fte or ftf or any of that nonsense with past ar15s. What do you think.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    It’s like buying a car without a sunroof or power windows. You can get a good deal but significantly fewer people will buy it if you wish to sell it.

Also, the models without forward assist also routinely have barrels that are not chrome lined. All part of the “budget” process.

Your choice.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    A lot of high priced uppers dont have them either.

I have one without a bolt cover and assist and its a tack driver. Never had a problem with ftf or fte.

Uppers without the bolt cover and assist are the new hotness. They look very badass. Forward assist and bolt cover is soooooo 1976. lol. Only downside will be gas in the face, unless you get an adjustable gas block.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    This is what all the cool kids are wearing: skeletonized uppers. No forward assist, no bolt cover. You can see the bolt through the upper, very cool. These run fine.

Get whatever upper floats your boat.

What will matter for accuracy is is the barrel and trigger. spend money on that.

https://www.weaponsmart.com/skeletonized-ar-15-upper-receiver

Attachments

• weaponsmart-3283.jpg
      weaponsmart-3283.jpg
      17.6 KB · Views: 400

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Completely optional. Jp ctr02 doesn't have either and is a pretty nice gun.

And frankly if the round ain't going in the chamber, not sure I want to force it.

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    I have an old SP-1 AR-15 with no forward assist. Never needed it. I do like having a bolt cover to keep crap out.

I wouldn't use the assist to force a round, but it is nice if you want to chamber a round with as little noise as possible. Instead of dropping the bolt let it slide easy and finish chambering with the assist.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This is what all the cool kids are wearing: skeletonized uppers. No forward assist, no bolt cover. You can see the bolt through the upper, very cool. These run fine.

Get whatever upper floats your boat.

What will matter for accuracy is is the barrel and trigger. spend money on that.

https://www.weaponsmart.com/skeletonized-ar-15-upper-receiver

Is the point of that upper to get lube all over yourself when shooting? WTH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013

That was my first thought too. How could you possibly lube that and not get your face covered when shooting.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Not only does the dust cover keep crap out, but after I charge the gun, have a round chambered... and its ready to go, I close the dust cover. I know I'm ready to go when needed. No, I'm not talking about car carry....but when the gun is brought out for a call, etc.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have a thread and the SOTAR section about these two features. The necessity of the F.A. has nothing to do with going into combat or shoving a round in the battery.

They are important if you have a bolt that fails to go into battery which prevents you from clearing the weapon or removing the upper.

Dust cover will keep junk out if the gun is just sitting, but it will still run if the gun lacks one and is fouled.

The STG44 had one.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013

Skeletonized uppers are very light. I have fondled them. No oil in the face. Some additional gas, but no worse than a mini-14. Its actually quite surprising how much metal you can remove and still have a working gun. Now, I would obviously not take this into the desert or hunting. But for 3 gun or target shooting, its pretty cool. I have actually been contemplating a pistol using a skeletonized upper&lower. I think it would be really light.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have a thread and the SOTAR section about these two features. The necessity of the F.A. has nothing to do with going into combat or shoving a round in the battery.

They are important if you have a bolt that fails to go into battery which prevents you from clearing the weapon or removing the upper.

Dust cover will keep junk out if the gun is just sitting, but it will still run if the gun lacks one and is fouled.

The STG44 had one.

I will add, if you hunt with your AR, an FA allows the hunter to quietly charge his rifle once he's in his stand.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I'll admit it bugs me my FAL doens't have a FA. Old M16 training that just gets stuck in the head.
    I can't remember ever needing to use it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom