• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ifdot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Md Eastern Shore
    For some reason I really like the Remington Versa Max.

I'm with you, I shoot remington shotguns better than any other brand. I have just about all the major auto loaders for waterfowl and my go to is an early 2000's 11-87

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Yeah I'm not real crazy about it being in front of the trigger.

For some reason I really like the Remington Versa Max.

Here’s a pic of my Benelli Nova pump and my proper grip / trigger finger. I know it’s not the same gun, but I’ve shot both & trust me they’re pretty close in dimension. Now keep in mind I have short stubby fingers (size Large gloves for hand size and I always leave a small bit of finger length at the tips - hate that). But I have to completely un-grip the gun to hit the safety. This has been relegated to my turkey rig, so the efficiency and speed of the safety isn’t too critical. I just don’t use this for any carrying/hunting type shooting where a quick shot has to be taken. Others use Benelli/Beretta shotties just fine, and as far as getting used to it - NO amount of practice will make my stupid fingers long enough to reach that button :sad20:

Attachments

• AAB298AB-9621-4F32-81BC-A4D8D601B812.jpg
      AAB298AB-9621-4F32-81BC-A4D8D601B812.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 594

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Sorry bro.......wyon't sell it. But I'll pimp her out.

Lol no worries I'm gonna buy one over the spring or summer.

Here’s a pic of my Benelli Nova pump and my proper grip / trigger finger. I know it’s not the same gun, but I’ve shot both & trust me they’re pretty close in dimension. Now keep in mind I have short stubby fingers (size Large gloves for hand size and I always leave a small bit of finger length at the tips - hate that). But I have to completely un-grip the gun to hit the safety. This has been relegated to my turkey rig, so the efficiency and speed of the safety isn’t too critical. I just don’t use this for any carrying/hunting type shooting where a quick shot has to be taken. Others use Benelli/Beretta shotties just fine, and as far as getting used to it - NO amount of practice will make my stupid fingers long enough to reach that button :sad20:

I have big hands and long fingers so I could reach it fine, it's just different than any other gun I own and I'm not sure I'd like that.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Son has a A350. Loves it. Not a ton of experience with it but it is flawless. 2 3/4 & 3 1/2 all day. Light and swings fast.

I don't have experience with this gun per se, however I have a Beretta AL 390, and it is a duck slayer.

Love the auto loading. Easy to clean, easy to take apart.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, I own a Benelli SBE and have been using it since November 1997. I clean it about once a decade and have killed a crap ton of waterfowl and doves with it. I've used the gun so much that the black coating on the aluminum on the inside of the gun is pretty much gone from where the shells come out of the magazine and hit the receiver. I also bought an ER Shaw fully rifled barrel for it, and that is awesome too. The scope is mounted to the top of the barrel right above what would be considered the receiver on most guns, and the scope comes off with the barrel.

I also own a couple Berettas. A391 Teknys, A391, A3901, A400 Action. I still pick the SBE out of the safe when it comes to wing shooting, with the only exception possibly being opening day of dove season when I might use one of the Beretta A391 Teknys guns. The gas guns have given me more issues than the SBE, but I just shoot the gas guns really well at clays and the SBE will not eject really light 1 1/8 oz loads, which is what I use for the vast majority of my clays shooting (i.e., 1,090 fps). I use Remington STS Nitro shells for dove hunting at 1,300+ fps and the waterfowl loads have never been an issue.

The next gun I will be getting is the Benelli Super Vinci. I thought my SBE was easy to take apart and clean. The Vinci system takes it to a completely different level.

My advice, keep shooting the 870 and saving up the money for a Benelli SBE or Super Vinci if you really want to shoot 3.5" shells. I was 26 years old when I bought mine. My dad and I happened to stop at Galyan's (n/k/a Dick's) in Gaithersburg on the way back from waterfowling. I was looking at the SBE, he asked me if I wanted it, told him I could not afford it until I got my Christmas bonus, and he offered to loan me the money. That was 20 years ago and a lot of hunts ago. The other day, my kids and I started talking about death and burial. Told them to bury me with the SBE and my dog's ashes in my casket.

Buy once, cry once, and all those other good sayings.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I kinda agree with Fabs on this one. I know you want a sub 1K gun but my Benelli SBE2 is like perfection. They can be found (gen 1's) for like 900 on AR15 every now and then and I actually really like the SBE's

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    Look for a good used version of the xtrema, SBE or Versamax, I lean toward Remington. That being said I have been shooting a used xtrema for years. I just purchased a versamax because I really like my sons. In my opinion you want the option of 3.5 inch shells. If only as a safety issue because they are so prevalent in most blinds and they will chamber in 3 inch guns.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Yeah, I own a Benelli SBE and have been using it since November 1997. I clean it about once a decade and have killed a crap ton of waterfowl and doves with it. I've used the gun so much that the black coating on the aluminum on the inside of the gun is pretty much gone from where the shells come out of the magazine and hit the receiver. I also bought an ER Shaw fully rifled barrel for it, and that is awesome too. The scope is mounted to the top of the barrel right above what would be considered the receiver on most guns, and the scope comes off with the barrel.

I also own a couple Berettas. A391 Teknys, A391, A3901, A400 Action. I still pick the SBE out of the safe when it comes to wing shooting, with the only exception possibly being opening day of dove season when I might use one of the Beretta A391 Teknys guns. The gas guns have given me more issues than the SBE, but I just shoot the gas guns really well at clays and the SBE will not eject really light 1 1/8 oz loads, which is what I use for the vast majority of my clays shooting (i.e., 1,090 fps). I use Remington STS Nitro shells for dove hunting at 1,300+ fps and the waterfowl loads have never been an issue.

The next gun I will be getting is the Benelli Super Vinci. I thought my SBE was easy to take apart and clean. The Vinci system takes it to a completely different level.

My advice, keep shooting the 870 and saving up the money for a Benelli SBE or Super Vinci if you really want to shoot 3.5" shells. I was 26 years old when I bought mine. My dad and I happened to stop at Galyan's (n/k/a Dick's) in Gaithersburg on the way back from waterfowling. I was looking at the SBE, he asked me if I wanted it, told him I could not afford it until I got my Christmas bonus, and he offered to loan me the money. That was 20 years ago and a lot of hunts ago. The other day, my kids and I started talking about death and burial. Told them to bury me with the SBE and my dog's ashes in my casket.

Buy once, cry once, and all those other good sayings.

Super Vinci can be had new for $1500 or so. I'll read into it.

I kinda agree with Fabs on this one. I know you want a sub 1K gun but my Benelli SBE2 is like perfection. They can be found (gen 1's) for like 900 on AR15 every now and then and I actually really like the SBE's

You guys are a terrible influence. Lol.

Look for a good used version of the xtrema, SBE or Versamax, I lean toward Remington. That being said I have been shooting a used xtrema for years. I just purchased a versamax because I really like my sons. In my opinion you want the option of 3.5 inch shells. If only as a safety issue because they are so prevalent in most blinds and they will chamber in 3 inch guns.

The versa max sportsman I cab get around 1k new.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Super Vinci can be had new for $1500 or so. I'll read into it.

You guys are a terrible influence. Lol.

The versa max sportsman I cab get around 1k new.

The Super Vinci does not have a recoil spring in the buttstock. Instead, it is on the bolt. The only issue I have ever had with my SBE is unburned powder from the waterfowl loads getting into the recoil/buffer spring tube and gumming things up. It was the slowest cycling semi-auto one cold November morning. I actually had to wait to hear the bolt close that day before pulling the trigger a second time, and then again for a third time. I wouldn't have that issue with the Super Vinci. Then again, I guess cleaning out the recoil/buffer tube once every 10 years isn't too terrible.

Yeah, we are a "bad influence", but 20 years from now you will be thanking us and telling people to bury you with your Benelli.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    The Super Vinci does not have a recoil spring in the buttstock. Instead, it is on the bolt. The only issue I have ever had with my SBE is unburned powder from the waterfowl loads getting into the recoil/buffer spring tube and gumming things up. It was the slowest cycling semi-auto one cold November morning. I actually had to wait to hear the bolt close that day before pulling the trigger a second time, and then again for a third time. I wouldn't have that issue with the Super Vinci. Then again, I guess cleaning out the recoil/buffer tube once every 10 years isn't too terrible.

Yeah, we are a "bad influence", but 20 years from now you will be thanking us and telling people to bury you with your Benelli.

Super Vinci vs SBE 3? Worth the difference?

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Nice, but I would like the option of 3.5" shells.

Buy once, cry once.

I picked up a used Benelli Super Black Eagle II on gunbroker a few years ago and love it (I'm a waterfowl hunter.) Now that the III's are out, you can probably pick up a used SBEII for ~$1000, if you shop around.

You won't regret it.

Gratuitous photos of a hunt I just got back from, all of mine shot with 3 1/2" #2's from a SBEII:

025-1_zpsjsp4v3mx.jpg

20171215_095917_zpskywr7lbz.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Super Vinci vs SBE 3? Worth the difference?

Here you go, Benelli Super Vinci in black for $1,399. My SBE is black and most of my buddies with the camo versions of guns have them all scuffed up. $1,499 if you want the camo version.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...vinci-semi-auto-shotgun/2493580.uts?slotId=11

This might be a sales price.

You really should stop over at Bass Pro and take a look at the SBE III and the Super Vinci and see how easy the Super Vinci is to take down and clean. Granted, when I bought my SBE it was the easiest gun I ever owned to keep clean and the Super Vinci wasn't available. I also had plenty of time on my hands to keep my guns clean back then. Nowadays, with a wife, 4 kids, etc., cleaning guns really is a chore.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Love my A300 and the guys I know with A400s love those too. I say buy the A350 or go all out and buy the A400. Beretta makes an amazing shotgun.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/734794225

couple other SBE2's right around $1k, all say lightly used

again, the one i have is awesome, many 3 gun matches with it and also skeet, sporting clays, etc.

Looking to buy new, but would buy a good condition used one.

Buy once, cry once.

I picked up a used Benelli Super Black Eagle II on gunbroker a few years ago and love it (I'm a waterfowl hunter.) Now that the III's are out, you can probably pick up a used SBEII for ~$1000, if you shop around.

You won't regret it.

Gratuitous photos of a hunt I just got back from, all of mine shot with 3 1/2" #2's from a SBEII:

025-1_zpsjsp4v3mx.jpg

20171215_095917_zpskywr7lbz.jpg

I handled a SBE3 today and it felt nice.

Here you go, Benelli Super Vinci in black for $1,399. My SBE is black and most of my buddies with the camo versions of guns have them all scuffed up. $1,499 if you want the camo version.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...vinci-semi-auto-shotgun/2493580.uts?slotId=11

This might be a sales price.

You really should stop over at Bass Pro and take a look at the SBE III and the Super Vinci and see how easy the Super Vinci is to take down and clean. Granted, when I bought my SBE it was the easiest gun I ever owned to keep clean and the Super Vinci wasn't available. I also had plenty of time on my hands to keep my guns clean back then. Nowadays, with a wife, 4 kids, etc., cleaning guns really is a chore.

I really don't like the safety being in front of the trigger, not sure if i could get used to that on the Super Vinci.

Good read, thanks.

Love my A300 and the guys I know with A400s love those too. I say buy the A350 or go all out and buy the A400. Beretta makes an amazing shotgun.

The A350 I handled today felt great, just don't like the safety being in front of the trigger.

I'm going to the sportsmans show in February so I'll see what I can find up there.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Looking to buy new, but would buy a good condition used one.

I handled a SBE3 today and it felt nice.

I really don't like the safety being in front of the trigger, not sure if i could get used to that on the Super Vinci.

Good read, thanks.

The A350 I handled today felt great, just don't like the safety being in front of the trigger.

I'm going to the sportsmans show in February so I'll see what I can find up there.

The safety on the Super Vinci is in front of the trigger too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom