6.8 SPC AR15 build sheet/prices, pics and range report.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Target shooting out to 1K? No, 5.56 does not meet your needs. I like shooting 5.56 out to about 500 yards, beyond that wind becomes a big problem for me and by the time I get to 800 yards I'm not hitting anything. If you want a small frame, the 6.5 Grendel fills that role well. If you're willing to go large frame there are better cartridges, though I don't personally want a large frame gasser for throwing 6mm+ pills 1K yards.

I doubt I'll shoot that far often, prob more realistically 500-600 yards sometimes and more likely under 400 most of the time.

I had debated a .308 AR10 but for plinking and varmints it's way too much. My large caliber needs are met with my 7mm rem mag.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Within 400 yards and for target shooting? Yeah, 5.56 will do that all day; I rarely have trouble with wind within 300 yards using cheap 55gr pills and nearly no trouble when shooting more expensive 77gr. For hunting/varmints? I can't say as that is outside my experience. Are there cartridges that fit in a small frame AR that have more power within 400? Yeah, but you already have a 6.8 SPC. Power under 400 and out too 1000? 6.5 Grendel appears to ballistically match your desired goals, but again you already have a 6.8 SPC.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Within 400 yards and for target shooting? Yeah, 5.56 will do that all day; I rarely have trouble with wind within 300 yards using cheap 55gr pills and nearly no trouble when shooting more expensive 77gr. For hunting/varmints? I can't say as that is outside my experience. Are there cartridges that fit in a small frame AR that have more power within 400? Yeah, but you already have a 6.8 SPC. Power under 400 and out too 1000? 6.5 Grendel appears to ballistically match your desired goals, but again you already have a 6.8 SPC.

My varmint hunting I doubt will ever go over 300 yds but target shooting id like to go out a good bit further.

And I love my 6.8 but most of my hunting ground is heavily wooded and I wanted something small and maneuverable. The 6.8 performs slightly better than the 6.5 at closer ranges. And I equipped my 6.8 with a 1-6x scope due to the ranges I want to hunt with it and it's absolutely perfect for that.

I don't have a problem springing for the 6.5 Grendel as a long range setup with a long barrel and higher power scope if it's going to benefit me more than building a 5.56. Just wasn't sure if the 5.56 would fit my needs.

Thank you for your feedback. Much appreciated.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I remember agonizing over a 'hunting' caliber in the AR format that would be legal for deer (and a hog gun too). Since I live on the East Coast, I think the topology justifies a 6.8 because I'm less likely to be hunting at over 400 yard distances. I then bought a 5.56 for coyotes, varmints, and target practice due to the much cheaper cost per round.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I remember agonizing over a 'hunting' caliber in the AR format that would be legal for deer (and a hog gun too). Since I live on the East Coast, I think the topology justifies a 6.8 because I'm less likely to be hunting at over 400 yard distances. I then bought a 5.56 for coyotes, varmints, and target practice due to the much cheaper cost per round.

Yeah, that's where I'm at now. Completely content with my 6.8 for my deer/hog hunting purposes.

Just want a varmint/plinking toy. Just debating on the caliber lol.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    All depends on the fine print of your parameters .ie exactly how long is long. And *Best* vs available factory ammunition.

If 1,000yd, 5.56 not a good choice. If not often beyond 600yd, 5.56 is good choice.

For BEST! , somthing like a .240 Tomahawk, or one of half dozen similar 6mm wildcats. But being wildcats, no factory ammo , much less inexpensive factory ammo on every shelf.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    All depends on the fine print of your parameters .ie exactly how long is long. And *Best* vs available factory ammunition.

If 1,000yd, 5.56 not a good choice. If not often beyond 600yd, 5.56 is good choice.

For BEST! , somthing like a .240 Tomahawk, or one of half dozen similar 6mm wildcats. But being wildcats, no factory ammo , much less inexpensive factory ammo on every shelf.

So target shooting at 600 yds with a 5.56 is feasible? What would you consider effective varmint (coyotes, ground hogs, foxes, etc) hunting range for a 5.56 with a 20" or even 24" HBAR barrel?

I don't care about weight or portability at all, I have my 6.8 for that. This rifle will be bench shot and prone shot.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    So target shooting at 600 yds with a 5.56 is feasible? What would you consider effective varmint (coyotes, ground hogs, foxes, etc) hunting range for a 5.56 with a 20" or even 24" HBAR barrel?

I don't care about weight or portability at all, I have my 6.8 for that. This rifle will be bench shot and prone shot.
    I dropped a coyote at 400 yards with a 55gr VMax out of a 223 Wylde, 20" HBAR, 1:8, Shilen barrel.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD

600 yards with a 556 is doable for sure, look into what service rifle shooter's are using (20" hbar shooting 77gr and above bullets).

My father shot 2 seasons with a white oak upper in Fclass, still 600 yards and did pretty well. Just have to watch the wind a bit.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Shes a beauty...you may have talked me into buying a 6.8!

Ha, wait till you shoot it. You'll definitely want one.

I dropped a coyote at 400 yards with a 55gr VMax out of a 223 Wylde, 20" HBAR, 1:8, Shilen barrel.

Very nice, that shilen HBAR and bolt are high up on my list.

600 yards with a 556 is doable for sure, look into what service rifle shooter's are using (20" hbar shooting 77gr and above bullets).

My father shot 2 seasons with a white oak upper in Fclass, still 600 yards and did pretty well. Just have to watch the wind a bit.

The white oak is another I'm very interested in. I've heard many good things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom