• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    I'd like to get one before d-day. What can i find for 8-900 bucks? I saw one at a gun shop for 999, am i going to do better than that or should i jump on it? I'd like to stick with wood furniture. I just dont know enough about the different models, countries, prices etc to make an informed decision. Someone help me!

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Go to shooters discount in mt airy. He has WASR 10s and Yugo M70s. Not sure exactly how much they cost but all his stuff is pretty reasonable. Might also be worth checking Glade Valley Sporting Goods in Frederick. He builds good stuff but is only open Saturdays and Tuesday nights.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Keep an eye out for online sales too. No sales tax and usually far better prices... although shipping and some of the transfer fees these days make up for that.

Starting to see prices fall... you'll probably save another $50-100 if you wait another month or so.

Decide if you want a 5.45 or 7.62. Can always swap around furniture later.

Feb 28, 2013
    My only concern with the Romies is the canted front sights and ...ugh... The awful mag slop. I looked at one today that definitely had the sight issue. I didn't ask if they had a mag to put in it. I was wonderin if the Maadi's had that problem too.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    My only concern with the Romies is the canted front sights and ...ugh... The awful mag slop. I looked at one today that definitely had the sight issue. I didn't ask if they had a mag to put in it. I was wonderin if the Maadi's had that problem too.

It is really very variable and unfortunately all over the place with some of these AK's. Rommy's can be great, or they can be crap, depends on who is producing them and what day of the week it is... or so it seems.

Some companies seem to have reliable quality (e.g. Arsenal, Saiga) others (e.g. Century) have been consistently unreliable in build quality. This is one reason why I believe, especially with an AK, that it's worth either spending a little more money for a known entity or to handle it in person to make sure that it's exactly what you expect.

I have a Romanian/Century RPK(AES-10B) that is actually fantastic. No sight cant, dead reliable, no mag slop, etc. I had real reservations about buying a Century gun, but having handled it in person, I knew it was fine. BTW, if you can find one of these, they are AWESOME fun!

So, I think what your doing by handling them in person is the right answer at the given price point. I had a Maadi that was absolute shit, and I got rid of it, I stupidly bought it online assuming that it would be a decent Maadi. I was wrong, it had been abused by whomever built it (I forget which shop it came from).

Good luck! (Below: Century AES-10B as currently equipped in a MD safe configuration)

Attachments

• DSCN0722.jpg
      DSCN0722.jpg
      78.8 KB · Views: 495

dan8480

Gun Addict
    Feb 23, 2008
    Adams County
    I see they Atlantic firearms has the new romanian combo with mags and sling on sale for 799. How are those? It says they are brand new, do they have any problems with them?

arbrand

Jan 21, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I see they Atlantic firearms has the new romanian combo with mags and sling on sale for 799. How are those? It says they are brand new, do they have any problems with them?

I bought this package deal and am very happy with the gun that I got, the sight is not canted and the mag fits well, no wiggle, and at a good price too. Considering the prices everywhere else. The gun was at my ffl in 2 days and they responded to my emails immediately. They won't ship the 30 rd. Mags to Maryland but they did send 3 new tapco 10 rounders, although not nearly as desireable it is nice that they sent anything at all. I would say go for it, good company to buy from. (And it is a wasr 10/63 just in case anyone was wondering)

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    We just got in some nice fixed stock Egyptian based rifles here are a few pics , we also expect to have some of the Romanian M10 rifles this week.We offer the widest selection of AK based firearms in the US.

maadifix.jpg

maadifix5.jpg

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    Atlantic Firearms is an IP, so they are worth supporting. Classic Firearms has a lot of Yugoslavian AKs that are better regarded than Romanian or Egyptian. Get an Arsenal if you can afford it though. Gunbroker has lots of Chinese Norincos available for cheap.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    I have a Yugo M70 underfolder.... about 1k round count and not a hiccup. I think J&G has them with wood furniture for ~$900

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom