• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    My dad used to take me there when I was a toddler and sit me on the bar. The family was always very nice over the years. I can't see them rebuilding though. They could retire forever on what they piece of ground is worth. The townhouses next door have been trying to get them shut down for years. Sorry to see this piece of county history go. Maybe they will rebuild but it won't be the same.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I think 'Diets' is an historic site. If the building is still viable, it could be rebuilt?

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Last time I went in 2016, they only sold chips and the food truck outside served bbq. No one drank the tap water either...just sold bottled water for a reasonable price haha

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I was (am) a regular there. Last time there was Saturday. Great live music - rockabilly, classic country, garage bands. This sucks. I talked to Tony (the owner) this morning. He wants to rebuild, there will be a go fund me, check back on his facebook page for Hank Dietles for info....

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    My dad used to stop there for lunch sometimes when I would go to work with him.

He met a carpenter/construction superintendent there named Harry Hanky (no lie) that helped my dad mount his Rockwell radial arm saw and make garage custom workbenches out of old kitchen cabinets.

Those workbenches are still rock solid 40 years later.

I wish the article would have explained who the bar was named after and give Some biographical info.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    That's a lot of real estate, that will sadly become something else, too much money in play. I hope not but that could very well be the outcome.

Sad I never got there, it was on my list for a while to check out. Just too busy.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's a lot of real estate, that will sadly become something else, too much money in play. I hope not but that could very well be the outcome.

Sad I never got there, it was on my list for a while to check out. Just too busy.

Only if the county pulls some shenanigans(and they're well known for that. Just ask the Kings). :sad20:

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    What happened to the kitchen ? It's been a lonnnnng time since I was there but they used to make a killer chili and the occasional pork brisket. That was sheer torture sitting in there at night smelling the pork cooking and couldn't get any because it wouldn't be ready until the next day

Oh I had only been goin there on and off since the late 90's and early 2000's when I moved back into the area, but until the recent food trucks - like Corned Beef King - the only food I had there was delivery pizza eaten on the porch or off someone's tailgate there in the parking lot. --JB

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The King's, ala King Farm? What's was the story there? I always figured they just sold out, no? --JB
    From what I was told, the county kept jacking up the property taxes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ahhh, effectively squeezing them out, and forcing them to sell... Shocker. :sad20:

Yeah. Basically raise the taxes to the point you have to start selling parcels off to pay the taxes so you can still farm. Eventually, you end up with less and less land to farm and pay your taxes and you are forced to sell out. I have no direct knowledge of this in this case. Just what the 'word around town' was. I'm sure, in the end, they made some money in the deal, but they lost the farm and their heritage. :sad20:

BerettaTMC

Apr 12, 2010
    Yeah. Basically raise the taxes to the point you have to start selling parcels off to pay the taxes so you can still farm. Eventually, you end up with less and less land to farm and pay your taxes and you are forced to sell out. I have no direct knowledge of this in this case. Just what the 'word around town' was. I'm sure, in the end, they made some money in the deal, but they lost the farm and their heritage. :sad20:

They did that exact same thing to a co-worker years ago. Except they said the land wasn't able to be effectively developed, they were limited in what farming they could do (took away farming status which subjected them to higher property taxes) and the County was there to offer them next to nothing to get rid of the former farm land that was going to bury them in taxes.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    They did that exact same thing to a co-worker years ago. Except they said the land wasn't able to be effectively developed, they were limited in what farming they could do (took away farming status which subjected them to higher property taxes) and the County was there to offer them next to nothing to get rid of the former farm land that was going to bury them in taxes.
    Yup, standard squeeze play. Then the county makes millions on permits, etc. Shysters!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    County plus Gaithersburg did the same routine to the last farm in Gaithersburg, Belward. Squeezed the Banks family until the grandma who was the last sole owner gave up. JHU got the rights to develop a “research campus” there and now just look at the crap going in next to all that Rio sprawl. Big $$ for the tax men, all the paid-for politicians, and the damned developers. I hate what’s happened to my county.

Echo6mike, going mobile...

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Reminds me of the Olney Inn fire. "Bushy haired teenagers" did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom