• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I've been wanting a lever action rifle for quite a bit. Hickok45s 1894 .44 mag really sold me on adding it to my Western collection next. Here's my dilemma, I can't distinguish between the 1873, 1894, and dozen other models. Here's the things I must have.

-octagonal barrel
    -pistol caliber (44mag seems sexy)
    -old school as possible and can be a used gun

I know you all have favorites and reason, so let's hear it. Pick my gun

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Octagonal barrel
    44mag caliber
    old-school appeal

Henry Big Boy in .44mag seems to fit the bill then.

Don't really trust Marlin since they got bought out, and have no time in with winchester's levers, but the few Henry's I've shot were good shooters.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    44 Mag ain't sexy or traditional. You need something to going along with your SAA in 45 LC

Like this....

http://www.taylorsfirearmsstore.com/1873_comanchero.htm

1873Comanchero_600.jpg

And Taylors has a few other models in 45 LC to fit the bill. Given the state of Marlin and Winchester, an Italian Job or Rossi Puma would be a better buy.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I have a old Marlin1894c that is .357 mag .
    You may also want to check out the Uberti 1873 Special Sporting Rifle .
    What is your price point ?

That said of all my lever guns old Winchesters included my favorite one is my 1886 Browning saddle ring in 45-70.

NathanJ

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2010
    Salisbury Maryland
    44 Mag ain't sexy or traditional. You need something to going along with your SAA in 45 LC

Like this....

http://www.taylorsfirearmsstore.com/1873_comanchero.htm

1873Comanchero_600.jpg

And Taylors has a few other models in 45 LC to fit the bill. Given the state of Marlin and Winchester, an Italian Job or Rossi Puma would be a better buy.

I'd love one in that caliber but then I'd want it hotter then the pistol could take. A true dilemma...

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    ????????

Taylor has a sweet looking 1886 in 45-70, may give up my search for another Marlin and consider it.

Why Sir, Would you buy a Taylor when you can get one from the man that designed it. The Browning has much higher quality and if you keep it for awhile you will have a much better return on you investment. Buying a Taylor is like buying a semi-auto M2 Browning, Why dance when you can Rock & Roll.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Why Sir, Would you buy a Taylor when you can get one from the man that designed it. The Browning has much higher quality and if you keep it for awhile you will have a much better return on you investment. Buying a Taylor is like buying a semi-auto M2 Browning, Why dance when you can Rock & Roll.

First, JMB designed the Winchester 86. The Browning Arms Co is a subsidiary of FNH and produced the Browning 1886 when Browning had aquired Winchester USRAC in 1989.

Now look on the barrel of your Browning and see where it was produced. Say the words with me, MIROKU, JAPAN. The same great Japanese manufacturing plant that produces Howa and the new Winchester 92.

So how much ROI is there on an over priced reproduction of a Belgian owned Browning made in Japan copy of a Winchester 1886 that is being sold now as a Winchester instead of a Browning for corporate marketing purposes?

Now I buy guns for shooting and not to be investments or safe queens. The Uberti pistols and rifles that Taylor & Co sells are great shooters and faithful reproductions of the original rifles and pistols, including the JMB designed Winchesters.

So your Browning 1886, like your modern music and dancing ain't really rock and roll but just a passing copy for the real stuff. And buying an overpriced copy just proves you've got great taste in rifles but you're a little long on dollars but a little short on sense.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    I agree with brad. Stay away from marlin. I have a 45-70 guide gun and a 444. the 444 is 2003, the 45-70 is last fall. 13 rounds in the 45-70 and the stock busted from the recoil and the wood seems shitty. The finish on the late rifles are nothing like they were a decade ago. The pics:

Attachments

• marin 1.jpg
      marin 1.jpg
      64.1 KB · Views: 546
    • marlin 2.jpg
      marlin 2.jpg
      72.7 KB · Views: 547
    • marilin 3.jpg
      marilin 3.jpg
      63.6 KB · Views: 549
    • marlin 5.jpg
      marlin 5.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 553
    • marlin 4.jpg
      marlin 4.jpg
      78 KB · Views: 546

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    I've been wanting a lever action rifle for quite a bit. Hickok45s 1894 .44 mag really sold me on adding it to my Western collection next. Here's my dilemma, I can't distinguish between the 1873, 1894, and dozen other models. Here's the things I must have.

-octagonal barrel
    -pistol caliber (44mag seems sexy)
    -old school as possible and can be a used gun

I know you all have favorites and reason, so let's hear it. Pick my gun

I watched that video earlier today and it inspired me to get a lever gun. This thread will help me too :)

NathanJ

Ultimate Member
    Mar 18, 2010
    Salisbury Maryland
    Send it back. Got 20 rounds thru mine. It does have a feeding problem which is common and they back their firearms. How did you manage that? Heat shield comes to mind. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom