• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Poonbag

Feb 21, 2010
    So. Anne Arundel Co.
    Sorry to hear you're having the same experiences I had/having with my .22 upper (Tactical Solutions.)

I tried 4 different lowers, 4 different hammer/trigger combinations, different ammo, buffed the hammer face, the bolt underside, etc... nothing worked. Sent it back to Tac Sol (cost me $60), got it back 3 weeks later, and now it's getting about 15% light primer strikes. I cut a few coils off of the FP spring; I hope that does it.

I think this is just the nature of .22 AR uppers: either they work great out of the box with your setup, or it takes some effort to get them to run.
    I wish i had known this before... haha i could have gotten a mp15-22 for the price i paid for the upper. So hopfully this week i can pump another 500 rounds with the new oil and see if that works, if not i guess i will have to fork over extra money to ship it back to kies.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I wish i had known this before... haha i could have gotten a mp15-22 for the price i paid for the upper. So hopfully this week i can pump another 500 rounds with the new oil and see if that works, if not i guess i will have to fork over extra money to ship it back to kies.

+1

I could have gotten a Sig 522 for less than the price of the just the upper.

Poonbag

Feb 21, 2010
    So. Anne Arundel Co.
    +1

I could have gotten a Sig 522 for less than the price of the just the upper.

I was originally looking at a 522 swat. It would have neen a lot cheaper than the upper and lower, but i couldnt swich out the upper. At this point who cares cause the current upper dont work like it is supposed to any way. Oh the irony of it all.

Poonbag

Feb 21, 2010
    So. Anne Arundel Co.
    Ok here is an update. I got two new magazines and went to the range today using the slip2000. At first it didnt seem to help at all, then I tried the new magazines and all of the sudden the jams stopped occurring. So just to test my theory I loaded up another 10 and 15 round mag and sure enough they jammed 2-3 times each. This doesnt make sense at all because the original two mags I got with it have less spring tension than the new ones. With the new ones I could fire off the whole mag rapid fire and not have one jam. But i couldnt fire off 3 rnds with the other two mags with out having a jam. I shot about 350 rounds or so today and still no rubbing on the bolt catch. I took some pics of the jams but they arent sending to my email. I will upload once they do.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Which type of mags do you have? Are they all Black Glass Filled (matte black)? I know Black Dog has had a few random issues in some batches of the black glass filled mags causing there to be some feed lip irregularities due to warping lips as the mags came out of the mold. Feed lip issues could potentially explain the issues, if some mags work and some mags don't....

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    It's less spring tension = slower feeding = more jams

I'm glad you seem to have it fixed up. I'd call whoever and switch out the bad mags

Poonbag

Feb 21, 2010
    So. Anne Arundel Co.
    Which type of mags do you have? Are they all Black Glass Filled (matte black)? I know Black Dog has had a few random issues in some batches of the black glass filled mags causing there to be some feed lip irregularities due to warping lips as the mags came out of the mold. Feed lip issues could potentially explain the issues, if some mags work and some mags don't....

The original ones were not the glassfilled blackdog but the new ones are. I dont know what to do about the original two. Basically worthless if they wont fire.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Send them back to Kies, I'm sure you'll hear from them one way or another.

Never occured to me and a few others to toss out the old 'Bad Mag' possibility.

Glad to hear it's behaving though.

Poonbag

Feb 21, 2010
    So. Anne Arundel Co.
    Send them back to Kies, I'm sure you'll hear from them one way or another.

Never occured to me and a few others to toss out the old 'Bad Mag' possibility.

Glad to hear it's behaving though.

Its strange because the mags all look the same for the lips. Im not sure whats causing it. Could be the springs i guess. Its odd that both the mags i got (one bought one came with the.upper) dont work and the.new ones work fine.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    The original ones were not the glassfilled blackdog but the new ones are. I dont know what to do about the original two. Basically worthless if they wont fire.

Could you snap a picture of the mags and indicate which ones do or do not work? You should call or email Kayla at Black Dog Machine if there are any mag feeding issues as they'll replace them directly w/ the customer.

Poonbag

Feb 21, 2010
    So. Anne Arundel Co.
    Ok here is the Jams and the mags. The center mag is the new matte black glassfilled one and the ones on the right and left are the normal ones.

2011-11-05_13-57-13_73.jpg

2011-11-04_10-42-54_826.jpg

2011-11-04_10-41-52_426.jpg

2011-11-04_10-29-25_832.jpg

2011-11-04_10-27-45_623.jpg

2011-11-04_10-26-14_552.jpg

there were pictures of other jams but they didnt turn out. The only issue I had with the new mags was the first round sometimes wouldnt load all the way. But the second through last would be fine.

Poonbag

Feb 21, 2010
    So. Anne Arundel Co.
    As I was cleaning my rifle tonight I closely inspected the magazines to see if there was any rubbing. There didnt seem to be any except on one (which came like that) Although the original two do seem to be slightly taller with the feeding lips of the mags. I cant show it in a picture because its so minimal. However when looking at it I can definitely see it. I have not measured it to see the discrepancy. But again none of the mags show signs of a dragging bolt.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    As I was cleaning my rifle tonight I closely inspected the magazines to see if there was any rubbing. There didnt seem to be any except on one (which came like that) Although the original two do seem to be slightly taller with the feeding lips of the mags. I cant show it in a picture because its so minimal. However when looking at it I can definitely see it. I have not measured it to see the discrepancy. But again none of the mags show signs of a dragging bolt.

I've seen bolts drag on the side of the feed lips as well as the top. It doesn't take much extra material to cause a problem.

Glad to head Black Dog is getting you squared away.

Kies_Firearms

Oct 7, 2011
    Glad to hear it is working out, I have been gone the last 3 weeks, and have not had the oppertunity to check this thread. If there is anything you need from me, please call or send an email.
    Thanks
    Travis

Poonbag

Feb 21, 2010
    So. Anne Arundel Co.
    Sorry it has been such a long time. I have had maybe 2 times to shoot in a year now. I pumped another 1000 rnds in it in that time period still having the same issues. although it is a little better. It still seems that the bolt is dragging. The shells are still being stuck. The new mags work great, but the bolt still causes a a problem after it heats up at all. Still very very tight. After firing more that 25 rounds through it, I have to break the barrel open and pull the jammed round or shell. Sorry for the delay in updates. Just been extremely busy, I moved, got married, got a new job, etc.

Poonbag

Feb 21, 2010
    So. Anne Arundel Co.
    I am going out next weekend to shoot it again, hopefully putting another 1000 rds through it. Anyone should I take the buffer spring assembly out and try that? What is the best cleaning solution for .22? i have been using hoppes 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom