• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    What were you shooting 308 or 556.

I am assuming 556 since your going to a 11" setup.

Pretty quiet can on the video. Was it plain ammo or sub.
    Whats the benefit/reason of a 9mm buffer and spring?

:lol::lol2:

See what you did, now that you reminded me Im gonna have to go beat my Wife. :D;)

Thanks for the compliments on my rig. :)
    Here be the Specs on her:

YHM .308 Q.D. Phantom Suppressor and Mount
    D.D. 16" H.F. Barrel (Soon to be replaced by a Noveske 11.5")
    YHM Diamond 12.5" FF Rail System
    Spikes Nickle Boron M16 BCG
    LaRue 104 Mount
    Millett DMS1 1-4X
    POF LOWER
    Colt 9mm Buffer and Recoil Spring
    Vltor Receiver Extension
    KNS Pins
    DPMS LPK (Hammer Tail Cut Down, and 4# Trigger Job Performed)
    DMPS Ambi Safety (Scalloped on the right Side)
    Various Magpul Stuff...MIAD, AFG, BAD, MBUS, ACS, MS2, ASAP

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What were you shooting 308 or 556.

I am assuming 556 since your going to a 11" setup.

Pretty quiet can on the video. Was it plain ammo or sub.
    Whats the benefit/reason of a 9mm buffer and spring?

I have been happy with the YHM can, I have shot it next to other more expensive cans and theere not a bunch of difference behind the gun. The YHM is a heavy beast comared to more refined models from other manufacturers. I would say they YHM is the "AK" of the suppressor world. You can buy more quiet and lighter, but the YHM is very versatile and its a tank. Ill certainly be buying other cans but this one is a good start IMO.

It was 5.56, the Ammo was 55 Grain, Ball, Winchester. I havent fired any subsonic through her yet.

The 9mm Buffer was the one that stopped bolt bounce on my gun. I am still palying with the springs though because 55 grain dont always lock back the bolt on the last shot. 62 and heavier lock it back fine.

I have a Tubb flat spring Im going to begin testing soon to see if it helps with the 55 grain ammo.

ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    i have a cheap folding handle on my ak and it locks at an angle. Sorta does the same thing if anyone wants another alternative to the magpul grip

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    I have recently tried out the AFG and it seems to work better than vertical foregrips. It allows me to put the index finger of the support hand parallel to the barrel. It aids in quick snap type shooting.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    How are the lakeside kits? Run pretty smoothly? Belts last a long time?

I've seen em before...they look pretty sweet :D

(very tempted to get one)

Im still trying to work the issues out on 2 at the shop. One was slam firing and was blowing up casings, it went back to Lakeside. The other one is just finnicky once it heats up.

If someone had to pay me to make one reliable to my standards it would cost half of what the upper does. Im not super happy about it at this point, perhaps the 2 I have were just lemons.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    Im still trying to work the issues out on 2 at the shop. One was slam firing and was blowing up casings, it went back to Lakeside. The other one is just finnicky once it heats up.

If someone had to pay me to make one reliable to my standards it would cost half of what the upper does. Im not super happy about it at this point, perhaps the 2 I have were just lemons.

Way to buzz kill :(

Has lakeside been good about making things right? What does "heats up" imply? 500 rounds? 22LR takes a while to get warm.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

Sorry to hear that, it took me about 500rds to get mine to where it will run 100rds or so through a belt without a problem. Still get the occasionally crazy extract or hangup on extraction but I also tend to run junk ammo. Alot of the early issues were me loading the belts incorrectly etc. Next time out with CCI's I expect it to be solid. It is also really easy to bend the extractor and I may have to replace it on mine (big design flaw if it jams up you can damage it). Belts should last thousands of rounds.

Never had anything like a slamfire................

You get in the building business Ill buy one off you!

Super Wabbit

Jan 29, 2008
    I've switched to an AFG2 from a vert grip. Initially I didn't like the AFG2 compared to the vert grip because I couldn't pull the rifle into my shoulder as well; it felt less secure. Moving my thumb from the side of the rail, as I had had it while using a vert grip, to the top of the rail solved this problem. I have since grown very comfortable with the AFG. I've got a Midwest 12" rail which is pretty wide compared to a DD rail so I decided on trying the new Gen 2 which is smaller. I have more of my hand in-contact with the rifle, way more than using a thumb break method and vert grip.

I think its very comfortable to use if it is far enough out on a rail - I don't think it would work well with a carbine MOE hand guard, though you can mount it if you've got the rail pieces for the hand guard. Might work will if you've got a mid-length or rifle-length MOE. Then again, you can always extend your stock further.

Saving your pennies is a good idea, but the AFG isn't expensive, especially compared to other vertical grips. So if you're still unsure, try it out. The more I practice with it, the more I like it.

IMG_0267-1.JPG

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    I've seen the same pictures and I think they were mounted there as a back-up, not to be used as a grip, but I could be wrong.

What kind of sense does it make to put your iron sights that should be zeroed if they are to be of any use under your forend where it is subject to being knocked around?

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    What kind of sense does it make to put your iron sights that should be zeroed if they are to be of any use under your forend where it is subject to being knocked around?

Well now, I never said anything about it making sense :) ...that's just the explanation I remember being attached to the picture.

EDIT:
    This isn't where I originally saw it, but this is what my quick google search came up with:
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/07/06/interesting-placement-of-m16-carry-handle/

**I don't read the blog or know who writes it, so I have no idea if he's right or not, I'm just linking to it for the picture.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    IMO the MOE handguard is too short to utilize the AFG grip. It can be attached but the AFG was really made to be put far out on the gun to drive it to ward the target and manage recoil impulses.

I here I am at the fall shoot with mine and a suppressor:

If I held the gun at the magwell it will jump much more.

Thats you in the video, you look nothing like your avatar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom