• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chiefstrum

Jul 17, 2009
    Garrett County
    I thought this would be a more common thread but I haven't found anything. I enjoy target shooting (for fun) and my dad is a die hard hunter. I think I will start hunting with him more the next few years so I'd like my next rifle purchase to be something that I can reliably knock a deer down with and also have fun with at the range. I have access to reloading equipment so ammo availability is important but not crucial. I'm a notorius customizer so I'd like something that I can "make my own" and have fun tinkering on like I do with my 10/22. Advice on make/model/caliber would be appreciated.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I did the same research about 2 months ago and the 2 rifles I came up with was the Remington 700, Savage with accutrigger and the Winchester M70...in .308

Last edited:

mudd4life88

Mar 18, 2009
    Essex, MD
    The Remington 700 is a time proven action. I hunt with a 700 and have never had a problem with one. Anything in a .30 caliber range is enough for anything you will kill around here and nearby states. I have added a 7mm rem mag to my collection that is a rem 700 and at 150 yds is dead nuts, this is what I will hunt with this year.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    savage makes a package for around 550 bucks in their 111 model that comes with a scope and accutrigger and all. get it in 30-06 so you can shoot reduced recoil 125 gr loads all the way up to full-power 220 gr shoulder-thumpers. 30-06 gives you lots of options for what you want to shoot. if you wanna build a rifle up, 700's have been around for a while and they make tons of crap for them. replacing their factory stock would be a must..u can get jewell triggers and all that later if u want.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The first rifle I bought was a Remington 700 VLS in .243. 26" heavy barrel, laminate stock. I used this rifle to learn how to shoot on the bench. I adjusted the trigger, floated the barrel and bedded the action. She's got about 2k rounds down the tube and still shoots .5 moa. I've also killed 2 nice bucks with it in the field . I can't imagine a better dual purpose rifle.
    DSC_0207.jpg

chiefstrum

Jul 17, 2009
    Garrett County
    beautiful rifle russ. i've hunted deer with a 700 .243 as a kid but i haven't heard much about the .243 as a target round. It sounds like you've got yours shooting great though! Thanks for all the advice so far.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    .243 is a nice flat shooting round without much recoil that has plenty ass to drop a deer. It's # 1 recommended round for people getting a 1st rifle for their kids to learn to shoot and go hunting with them.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    It's a necked down .308 to 6mm. It's plenty for deer. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The .243 has taken more deer that most of the big magnums. As far as the Br goes E. Shell has a .243 set up for his daughter to shoot 1K yards. Nuff said.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    The first rifle I bought was a Remington 700 VLS in .243. 26" heavy barrel, laminate stock. I used this rifle to learn how to shoot on the bench. I adjusted the trigger, floated the barrel and bedded the action. She's got about 2k rounds down the tube and still shoots .5 moa. I've also killed 2 nice bucks with it in the field . I can't imagine a better dual purpose rifle.
    DSC_0207.jpg

SWEET!!!!

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    .270 or .243. I prefer my .270 for hunting but the .243 is great to shoot targets and groundhogs with. If you're looking to not go with a 700 check out a savage.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    any thoughts on the .308 for an all around hunting/target gun?

.308 would be my second choice, but choosing the right gun is more important than the cartridge. Most modern centerfire rifle rounds would suffice. Anything from .243 to .300 winmag really, but I doubt you'd wanna shoot a bunch of rounds through the big magnums at the range. Even the .308 can be a little tough on the shoulder after a few dozen.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    savages mean easy barrel swaps. still i like the 30-06 for an all-around adaptable hunting load for anything from fox's to buffalo...especially with reduced recoil 125 gr.

BusDriver

Livin the hillbilly dream
    Feb 28, 2007
    The Hill Country
    It's not about the gun it's more about the shooter . There is no pefect caliber . A .410 slugger in the hands of a competent shooter will harvest more deer than a east coast yuppie with a highend showgun . But I like the .308 , Buy what you can afford .

Rhino

Dec 6, 2008
    Mount Airy
    I have a 700 Sendero in 25-06. If you reload the 25-06 is a very versitile round, load it with light bullets for long flat varmint or predators, load it with 120 gr partition and it will drop a deer easily. It is sub .5" moa with my reloads, but is a little heavy shooting off hand in the field. I think you need to decide which you will do more. Hunting on foot, driving and stalking, stick to a lighter field config, bench shooting and hunting from a stand, go for a heavier set up. As with most things in life there is always a compromise.

Last edited:

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I thought this would be a more common thread but I haven't found anything. I enjoy target shooting (for fun) and my dad is a die hard hunter. I think I will start hunting with him more the next few years so I'd like my next rifle purchase to be something that I can reliably knock a deer down with and also have fun with at the range. I have access to reloading equipment so ammo availability is important but not crucial. I'm a notorius customizer so I'd like something that I can "make my own" and have fun tinkering on like I do with my 10/22. Advice on make/model/caliber would be appreciated.
    Where in Maryland do you plan to hunt deer?

"Breech-loading rifles may not be used to hunt deer in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Charles, Frederick (in that portion of Frederick County lying south of a line beginning at the ashington/Frederick County line at US Rt. 40 and continuing on Rt. 40 east to Harmony Road, proceeding south on Harmony Road to I-70, following I-70 east through Frederick County), Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Queen Anne’s, St. Mary’s and Talbot Counties or in Worcester County as follows: (1) within one mile of any school, (2) within that portion of South Point lying south of a line beginning at the west end of the Sinepuxent Bay Bridge on State Rt. 611, then by and with the south side of Rt. 611 to the junction of the South Point Road going south for a distance of .6 miles to a point opposite the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club property on the west side of the road, then by the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club to Trappe Creek and (3) within that portion of the land lying south of a line beginning at the mouth of the St. Martin River northwest to the junction with Shingle Landing Road, then by and with the south side of Shingle Landing Road to the junction with State Rt. 113, then by and with the east side of Rt. 113 to the junction with Rt. 589, then by and with the east side of Rt. 589 to the junction with US Rt. 50, then by and with the north side of Rt. 50 to the junction with Assawoman Bay, then by and with the west boundary of Assawoman Bay to the junction with the St. Martin River."

:shrug:
    (Page 18)

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    .308 is a great round but unless one is shooting a full auto machine gun why not the 06? A smidget more oomph especially in heavier weight bullets, Both accurate and it's still cheaper to get quality milsup 06. No brainer to me but that's just my opinion.

wyomingboy

Jan 26, 2009
    If it's going to be one gun to do everything, it's hard to settle on anything other than a 30-06. You can load light 110 gr bullets for small critters, loaded down medium weight stuff for targets, lots of different stuff for deer size game and up to 220 gr pills for elk if you ever decide to do that.

If it's going to be a gun only for the two purposes stated, everyone has their own favorites and all are pretty good. I guess a .308 or a 7mm-08 would be a great choice.
    I have a bunch of rifles, but lately my favorite deer guns have been a .257 Robert AI, followed by a .270 that's been in the family since 1940.

One thing for sure, there are a lot of calibers to choose from that are time tested..... and then there are all of the new short mag, fat case whizbang jobs... I can't keep up with them all.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you want if for hunting the best choice is the 30-06 followed by the .308.

30-06 can always be found in Bubba's Bait and Ammo Shop out in the hinterlands in a pinch, .308 maybe, >.30 you're pushing your luck.

If you want something in centerfire you can accessorize as much as a 10/22, then you're probably looking at an AR platform. I've never seen one in 30-06 but you can get/build a .308 .

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    Savage 243 package gun at Walmart or Dick's.
    I have 30-06,308,8mm and 243 scoped deer rifles.
    All are accurate, but the 243 is my go to gun for deer.
    Extremely accurate and easy to shoot. Any commercial 100g ammo shoots good.
    A 243 does not require the support that a larger caliber gun requires for accuracy.
    I can shoot a 243 in almost any contorted position and still hit what I am aiming at.
    Being able to shoot a deer in the eye at 100 yards in thick brush is awesome.
    JMHO

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom