• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hacktracker

Apr 10, 2012
    Lower-Slower
    My home defense carbine. Fifty rounds should be enough and it's nice and short...

PS90_zps0faec753.jpg

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I have a liberal neighbor that claims that he supports 2a but thinks no one needs an assault weapon such as an AR15 for home defense.

If he only had a clue what else you didn't need for home defense and happened to own. :lol2:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    SCAR, do ou use hollow point .223's? I've also read about using an AR for home defense. Seems to be a good choice, considering I live in a town home.

I use barnes varmint grenade hollow points for HD. These rounds are designed to have a very flat trajectory and minimize pelt damage on small to medium size game. That characteristic limits over penetration but delivers the maximum energy transfer. It is not effective against barriers. This is why we need high cap mags. If you miss. The target is likely to take cover. After 10 rounds of varmint grenades, my mags are loaded with green tip penetrators to turn cover into concealment. What people do not understand, in a gunfight. Fighting fair is flawed tactics.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    My home defense carbine. Fifty rounds should be enough and it's nice and short...

PS90_zps0faec753.jpg

I also use the PS90 as an HD gun. I like the carbine version as compared to the SBR variant due to the long barrel. The longer barrel accelerates the 5.8 mm projectile to similar velocities of a 5.56 in SBR format. But without the blast and concussion. Recoil is also very light, allowing quick and accurate follow up shots. The compact size also makes it maneuverable and easier to use. In weaver or isosceles stance. My ps90 sbr sticks out less than my glock17.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    The 5.56/.223 round is a high velocity projectile that tends to lose energy very quickly as it hits any barrier. This is why it is very effective as a defensive round. For this reason, carbines in this caliber are favored by the military and LEO for urban application as to reduce over penetration or liability. It is a much safer round for this application. This is why SWAT teams traded off their sub guns for carbines.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    My AR is a semi automatic rifle. That means it can only fire one round for every pull of the trigger. No more than a single shot for each trigger pull. The liberal media always misrepresents it by showing an M16 rifle from stock footages when depicting a s emi automatic rifle. Automatic rifles are in fact machine-guns. These are already illegal to own for most people. Highly regulated and taxed. Also extremely expensive. One can not simply go into a gunstore or gunshop to purchase a machine-gun over the counter with no questions asked or paperwork. Restrictions on these are already on federal level and have been in place since the 1934 nfa was made into law.

Last edited:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Evil features of an assault weapon?

The threaded barrel. Barrel treads allow for the attachment of many accessories such as flash hiders aka flash suppressors, compensators,Suppressors, adapters, launchers. Etc. It does not make the weapon more lethal. It does not affect function. Threads are simply a means of attaching something onto the muzzle of a firearm.

Flash hider or flash suppressor. Is simply a muzzle attachment that reduces the flash from the weapon while it is being fired. It does not make the weapon quieter. It is not a silencer and works by diffusing gasses and preventing them from flashing. This is essential for a HD weapon if the weapon is deployed at night. It prevent the user from being flash blinded. Everyone can agree that firing weapon while blinded is bad juju.

Compensators are basically muzzle blast deflectors that direct the gasses from the muzzle upwards or sideways to help keep the muzzle down And control recoil. It makes the weapon safer to use as it is racier to control with a compensator attached. It also makes the weapon noisier instead of quieter.

Bayonet lug. Is simple a coupler or a means of securing a bayonet onto a rifles barrel. Bayonets have not been used in infantry or warfare since ww2. Most civilian rifles with 16" barrels will not mount a bayonet correctly despite of having one. Most are there for cosmetic effect. They are really useless.

Handguard. Not to be mistaken as a barrel shroud. This is simply the front part of the stock that the support hand holds while citing the rifle. It allows for better control and insulates the firers hands from a hot barrel. All rifles have a hand guard as part of the stock. Newer hand guards also have rails on them called 1913 pica tinny rails. These are simply rails that are machined or bolted onto the hand guard to facilitate the attachment of accessories.

Vertical fore grip. This is simply a vertical grip that is attached onto the front part of the rifle to make the rifle more ergonomic. The fore grip simulates the standard fighting position that boxers and martial arts experts use. It makes the rifle much easier to control. It does not affect function but enhances the handling characteristics of the weapon.

Pistol grip. Again. This is just a more ergonomic way of gripping the rifle. It allows off better control and comfort, but does not change the function of the weapon.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Barrel shrouds are simple sheet metal liners that protect the none firing or support hand from coming into contact with a hot barrel. They are also called heat shields. These are popular for shotguns and most folks like them because of the cool factor. It does not change the function of the weapon.

Clip. Okay. A clip is simply a simple device that clips of hold several rounds of ammunition together and is used to speed load a rifles magazine. If you've ever seen any ww2 movies where a soldier loads his garand. He is using a clip. It's the thing that ejects that makes that makes that mrtaliv plinking sound after the garand runs out of ammo. Most clips hold anywhere from three to eight rounds. There are no high capacity clips.

Magazine. These are cartridge reservoirs for the gun. Some are fixed and some are detachable. Fixed magazines do not come off the gun. The action of the gun is opened and the magazine is loaded with cartridges one at a time or in a bunch with a clipped ammo. Detachable box magazines can be preloaded with ammunition. Empty magazines can be changed out to reload the weapon

High capacity magazines. WTF is that? The AR rifle was initially introduced as a civilian sporting rifle before it was adopted by the military. It was always equipped with at least a 20 round magazine. Later rifles had 30 round mags. The standard capacity for these weapons has always been 20 to 30 rounds. Tens round mags should be called reduced capacity magazines. This is a more accurate term. The same applies go pistols. A glock 17 holds 17 rounds. A ten round mag for that gun is a reduced capacity mag. A 30 round mag for that gun is a high capacity mag.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    How about folding stocks?

Many rifles have folding stock on them. These were intended for compactness for ease of storage or transport. Paratroopers initially used them in airborne operations. They are also useful for inside vehicles such as tanks and aircraft. There are side folders, under folders, top folders and retractable or telescopic stocks. The m4 has a telescopic stock. The stock simply consist of a tube over another tube that is adjustable for length. This is nice to have as to allow the rifles length of pull to be adjusted or customized to fit the shooter. A correct fitting stock is essential for accuracy as it affects sighting wether using iron sights or optics.

Collapsible stocks are those stocks that are designed to fold within itself to make the weapon a bit more compact. These are usually found on older weapon, mainly in submachine guns such as the Uzi and sterling mark 4. Retractable stocks simply allow the stock to slide and recess in to receiver area of the gun example of this is the stock of the mp5 and m3 grease gun.

Many folding stocks actually hinder the weapon from bring used accurately. Should fired weapons are designed to be shouldered to sight in correctly the rifle stock is needed to facilitate shouldering a weapon. Some stocks fold and cover the trigger group, rendering the weapon inoperable when the stock is folded.

Last edited:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    What is an assault rifle?

An assault rifle is a shoulder fired magazine fed selective fire capable weapon that is chambered for an intermediate power cartridge. Selective fire means it can fire single or semi automatic mode and with a flick of the selector can deliver burst or full automatic fire. It also uses a intermediate or medium power cartridge. That means it is more powerful than a pistol round but less powerful than a full powered cartridge.

Submachineguns are similar to the definition above but they are chambered for a pistol cartridge.

Battle rifles are military rifles that use full powered ammunition. They can be bolt action like the mauser or springfield 1903. A semi auto like the Garand. Or full automatic/ selective fire like the m14 or fal.

PErsonal defensive weapons are a new class of small arms that have a similar definition to the assault rifle but they differ because they use a small caliber high velocity proprietary ammunition. They have more range than sub guns but less powerful than assault rifles. These are intended for close - range engagements

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Why do I need high capacity mag?

Because most bad guys will not be stopped with single or a couple of hits unless you hit them in a vital organ right away. Most bad guys will sustain multiple hits before going down. Especially when delivered from pistols. How many rounds did the Miami bath salt zombie take before he stopped?

Larger caliber firearms are also more effective but are generally harder to shoot. Smaller caliber weapons like the 9mm or 556 carbines offer reduced recoil and ease of use at the expense of less efficacy when stopping fights. This is why quantity is substituted for quality. In addition. Firepower gives the defender an advantage. This has nothing to with hunting or sport shooting. It is about survival and defending life or limb. High cap magazines allows a defender to lay down suppressive fire. This allows for movement. In a fight. If you are not shooting or reloading, You should be moving or taking cover. not moving that increases your chances of being dead.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    What about grenade launchers?

Rifles can be fitted with grenade launching attachments on the muzzle to lauch grenades. A rifle grenade is slipped over the muzzle and a blank cartridge is used to propel the grenade. One big issue with this concept. There are no grenades available for sale to the general population. The unavailability of ammo makes them useless.

There are under barrel mounted flare launchers that look like the dreaded m203 40mm grenade launcher. Most are in fact 37mm flare launchers that emulate the look of it's military counterpart. These do not have rifled barrels and are not compatible for use with 40 mm grenades. They cAn launch flares, smoke and gas. Cannisters are short distances. These intimidate the ignorant and scare the sense out of libtards. These are legal and classified as signalling devices.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    WTF is an assault weapon?

Assault weapon is a term that was coined by Josh Sugarmann in a libtard book that he wrote about gun control. It has been used extensively by the misinformed or liberal media to describe a group of semi automatic firearms that share cosmetic features to military assault weapons. Military assault weapons are in fact machine-guns and semi automatic assault weapons do not have automatic fire capability.

The majority of people do not understand the difference between assault rifle and assault weapon. Assault rifle was derived from the German term stumgewehr or storm rifle. This was used to describe a new class of military weapons that were more powerful than submachine guns and less powerful than battle rifles. It fired an intermediate powered cartridge. This means the cat ridge is smaller and lighter. That allows the weapon to be reduced in size and weight as well. To qualify as an assault rifle. It must retain the full automatic capability. It must be a machine-gun. Capable of laying down automatic fire in order to assault a defended position. The civilian AR rifle is not capable of this. No modern military in the world issues semi automatic assault weapons to the military. Because they are less effective than their military counterparts.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    WTF is an assault pistol?

Another misnomer to describe semi automatic weapons that resemble a machine pistol a German term for sub machine-gun. Mac10,11. Uzi ,mp5 are examples of submachine guns or machine pistols. They are selective fire which means that they can fire in both semi or automatic mode. That means single shots or machine-gun mode. Again. The term is a misnomer that is used to falsely represent a pistol due to it's cosmetic features rather than function.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Preach Pastor SCAR, preach!! :party29:

Got the flu. Nothing go do but stay in bed and preach gun terminology. Most people do not understand the difference. As Hillary Clinton said. What difference does it make? Seems to be a common mindset with our elected or appointed officials nowadays.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Well hope you get over it quick, I got lucky, got over the flu in 4 days. (No flu shot.)

Also seems to be a mindset with some gun-owners, and that needs to be changed.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Calling magazines clips, the term assault weapon, copycat weapon, high powered 5.56, the shoulder thing that goes up, poor trigger discipline and sweeping folks with muzzles, high capacity magazine. Weapons used in the battlefield have no place in our streets bs. All that confusion is giving me a bad headache. And most people assume they know stuff because CNN or NBC reported it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom