• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I guess I can understand his guilty feelings, but really, he's not (to my knowledge) any of the murdering thugs/dictators who pulled the triggers.

Those who used it would have used something else if the AK-47 never existed.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I guess I can understand his guilty feelings, but really, he's not (to my knowledge) any of the murdering thugs/dictators who pulled the triggers.

Those who used it would have used something else if the AK-47 never existed.

Exactly. Can't blame the tool for the actions of a person yet people let their emotions get the best of them. If it wasn't Kalashnikov it would be German A. Korobov with these:

korobov_tkb408.jpg

korobov_tkb517.jpg

tkb022pm_1.jpg

or Anatoly F. Baryshev

ab762.jpg

or Mr. Fedor Tokarev

at44.jpg

or Mr. A. Bulkin

ab46-1.jpg

or Alexey Sudaev who actually was on course to have his AS-44 (below) be adopted in place of the Kalashnikov ever being heard of but because of his premature death they turned to M.K. instead.

images

This rifle is where Kalashnikov got most of his ideas from not the StG-44.

There was a long line of inventors wanting to take Kalashnikov's place in the limelight.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    Yes, Comrade Mikhail did get religion in his later years, although he was an ardent atheist communist party member while the communist party was in power. Once the USSR was broken and there was no risk in being Christian, well, then he became a Christian. Could be a coincidence.

No one claimed there were no other Soviet firearm designers. The bullpup design was from the 60's or 70's, so that was never in contention to replace the AK-47.

The AS 44 was a different designer's attempt to build a simplified version of the Stg-44, and the parts on the AK47 that are different from the Stg, such as the rotating bolt from the M1 carbine, are from other designs the Soviets(technically, the German designers working for the Soviets) copied. There was nothing new in the AS 44, anymore than there were any new ideas in the AK. The Stg was the new idea, the AK was merely the cheaper, simpler design that was easier for poorly-trained or untrained conscripts to operate. It was an "Assault Weapon for Dummies" and it has excelled at the role in an outstanding fashion.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    The AS 44 was a different designer's attempt to build a simplified version of the Stg-44, and the parts on the AK47 that are different from the Stg, such as the rotating bolt from the M1 carbine, are from other designs the Soviets(technically, the German designers working for the Soviets) copied. There was nothing new in the AS 44, anymore than there were any new ideas in the AK. The Stg was the new idea, the AK was merely the cheaper, simpler design that was easier for poorly-trained or untrained conscripts to operate. It was an "Assault Weapon for Dummies" and it has excelled at the role in an outstanding fashion.

Except the Russians were already using full-auto rifles before the StG was even thought of.

b48a5fab0472.jpg

Like the Avtomat Federov used in WW1 while the rest of the world was still trying to get semi-auto rifles right. And in a 6.5 caliber something that we seem to be coming back to with 5.56 being inefficient when the Russians figured it out 100 years ago. The Russians did use this in combat both in WW1, the Civil War, and in Finland.

Model_AVS36.jpg

Then you have the AVS-36 which also was full-auto. Not many were issued but still saw service.

All the Germans did was give them better stamping technology than what they already had. Nothing more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom