• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    There are pistol calibers and then there are PISTOL calibers.

I have a Rossi M92 levergun in 454 Casull which has much more energy than a .30-30 when loaded heavy.

I have a NEF single shot rifle in 500 S&W Magnum that'll drop a bull moose like a bag of hammers.

Oh I love those Big Horn 500 S&W guns, just more scratch than I can justify.

You are a lucky man if you got one of the M92 Rossi's they are scarce as hens teeth. I have been trying to get the carbine for a long time with now luck.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ill tell you I just got my second Rossi (first in stainless) M92. I am very disappointed in the finish. the gun seems to function well (will need a tear down for an interior working) but the stainless had tons of scratches around the screws etc. I dont know what they were doing but I have seen guns through wars have less!

It wont matter in the long run for this one as its going to get a hefty high polish job after I break it in and make sure it doesnt need to go back to the factory for more substantial issues. I would think twice though if you want it to be pretty out of the box.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    I want a pistol caliber so I can blast away at all the indoor ranges.
    There you go, good idea.

I'm late to the discussion and didn't read all of the posts - but pistol caliber is also a good idea because if you want to try your hand at Cowboy Action Shooting, you'll need it to be .32, .38/.357, .44 Special/.44-40 or .45LC and you'll want it capable of holding at least 10 rounds. If you've already got a single action revolver in one of those calibers - then I'd suggest getting a matching caliber with the rifle...

Cimmaron & Taylors are made by Uberti and seem to have a pretty good reputation - additionally, they capable of being "slicked up" with action work, short stroke kits, etc.

Atlantic Guns Rockville location usually has a few on hand (they are one of the few shops in the area that caters to the CAS crowd)
    Also, if you are willing to wait another month - the SASS regionals are in Thurmont - Atlantic usually has factory reps there and I've gotten pretty good prices from the factory folks in the past...

More info here

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I'm late to the discussion and didn't read all of the posts - but pistol caliber is also a good idea because if you want to try your hand at Cowboy Action Shooting, you'll need it to be .32, .38/.357, .44 Special/.44-40 or .45LC and you'll want it capable of holding at least 10 rounds. If you've already got a single action revolver in one of those calibers - then I'd suggest getting a matching caliber with the rifle...

Cimmaron & Taylors are made by Uberti and seem to have a pretty good reputation - additionally, they capable of being "slicked up" with action work, short stroke kits, etc.

Atlantic Guns Rockville location usually has a few on hand (they are one of the few shops in the area that caters to the CAS crowd)
    Also, if you are willing to wait another month - the SASS regionals are in Thurmont - Atlantic usually has factory reps there and I've gotten pretty good prices from the factory folks in the past...

More info here

Awesome thanks I'll check it out!

Cowboy Action Shooting should be 2 divisions.

.38 for women and children
    .44 and up for the men.

I hate watching big butch "cowboys" nail plates with those limp .38s. Hell they weren't even around until what like 1898? I say make the competitors use something like .44 or .45 colt. I'd love to see a match where they use 45-70 lever guns, and full powered shotgun loads.

I've been wanting a lever action rifle for quite a bit. Hickok45s 1894 .44 mag really sold me on adding it to my Western collection next. Here's my dilemma, I can't distinguish between the 1873, 1894, and dozen other models. Here's the things I must have.

-octagonal barrel
    -pistol caliber (44mag seems sexy)
    -old school as possible and can be a used gun

I know you all have favorites and reason, so let's hear it. Pick my gun

Hi, I am new to this site but have been shooting cowboy action for 2 and 1/2 years and own a few lever action rifles you have mentioned. I have a Uberti 1873 in 357Mag, a Chiappa 1886 in 45/70 and a Davide Perdesoli 1885 Low Wall in 45/70. I can tell you at our club the Uberti is the most popular lever followed by the Marlin and then the 1866 Golden Boy. All good rifles but I personally prefer the Uberti over the Marlin especially given the last couple of years with the Marlin and Remington crap. I like the Chiappa 1885, the finish externally is good but the action is very stiff so I researched online and found an article on a site like this one with a user who had cleaned his up. I did the same thing apart from the ejector spring as I believe the rest of the stiffness is from the very stiff main spring. This rifle has the historically correct leave spring not the coil type in the new Brownings and Winceshters.
    That is my next job to lighten the spring. With carrier and linkage polished as well as the lever where it connects to the bolt the action is now much smoother but the main spring is a must.
    The 1886 Low Wall is Perfect in every way including accuracy.
    So I hope this helps.

Aussie Jack

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Hi, I am new to this site but have been shooting cowboy action for 2 and 1/2 years and own a few lever action rifles you have mentioned. I have a Uberti 1873 in 357Mag, a Chiappa 1886 in 45/70 and a Davide Perdesoli 1885 Low Wall in 45/70. I can tell you at our club the Uberti is the most popular lever followed by the Marlin and then the 1866 Golden Boy. All good rifles but I personally prefer the Uberti over the Marlin especially given the last couple of years with the Marlin and Remington crap. I like the Chiappa 1885, the finish externally is good but the action is very stiff so I researched online and found an article on a site like this one with a user who had cleaned his up. I did the same thing apart from the ejector spring as I believe the rest of the stiffness is from the very stiff main spring. This rifle has the historically correct leave spring not the coil type in the new Brownings and Winceshters.
    That is my next job to lighten the spring. With carrier and linkage polished as well as the lever where it connects to the bolt the action is now much smoother but the main spring is a must.
    The 1886 Low Wall is Perfect in every way including accuracy.
    So I hope this helps.

Aussie Jack

Aussie Jack - Welcome! The lever actions can indeed be lightened nicely. There are lighter springs available form several US manufacturers.

If you have the time, we'd appreciate your take on Australian gun laws. Can you own these rifles? The handguns? What are the restrictions for purchase and ownership?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I've always wanted a lever gun in .22lr and I think a lever action .357 magnum would be awesome. Maybe someday... There are just too many things I want and not really enough money for any of them right now. Stupid college.

Feb 28, 2013
    Welcome aboard Jack.

I know you can't have 'em. But as I'm sure you've noticed we do love our AR-15's here.

You should've executed the Port Arthur shooter, with his own gun, instead of punishing the entire rest of your country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom