• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Free amateur license clasd

I thought some might be interested in attending if you want to upgrade to Extra class license...great instructor teaches this. True rocket scientist.

When: Tuesdays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., Starting Thursday, January 24, 2019

Where: National Electronics Museum – 1745 West Nursery Road, Linthicum, MD 20190

A free twelve (12) week “HAM” Radio (Amateur Radio) Extra course will be held in the National Electronics Museum Tuesday evenings, from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m., starting Thursday, January 24, 2019. This course is to help prepare for the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Extra Class license examination. Prerequisite is the FCC General Class License. There are no Morse code requirements for this class. Though the classes are free, students are to purchase their own current ARRL Extra Class License Manual – 11th Edition (see available on-line sources listed below).

Space accommodations are limited, so please RSVP to reserve a spot in this class.

Known on-line source links for current ARRL Extra Class License Manual – 11th Edition:

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Extra-Class-...l+ham+radio+license+extra+manual+11th+edition
    ARRL - http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Extra-Class-License-Manual-Spiral-Bound/
    Ham Radio Outlet - http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-014856
    Also, available for purchase in some Barnes and Noble retail locations.
    To RSVP and for additional information, please email Melenie Maule at: Melenie.Maule@ngc.com or call 410-765-0589.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Anyone participating in the hospital net tonight?

http://www.arrl.org/sections/view/maryland-dc

Time for the monthly MDC Section HF Hospital Net (HFHN) Start time is 1900L on 3820kHz January 23, 2019 NCS is Wanda, KA3AHI, Brandywine, MD The purpose of the Net is two fold: To find out who we can touch during an actual disaster when local communications have failed. Secondly, to hold the frequency for the MD Emergency Phone Net should the need arise. You do not have to reside in the MDC Section nor associated with our hospital program, but if you are, we'd like to hear about it. Everyone may join in on the fun. If the frequency gets a little crowded, look for us 'down stream or up stream' about 5kHz. The MDC Section HF Hospital Net is held on the Wednesday following the third Monday of every month. The next Net is February 20, 2019. Pass the word to others. Please check in if only to give us a holler. Looking for a big turn out.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I hope this class is offered again later in the year. I have my General and would love to upgrade to Extra. This sounds like an awesome opportunity. Thanks for sharing the information. :thumbsup:

I thought some might be interested in attending if you want to upgrade to Extra class license...great instructor teaches this. True rocket scientist.

When: Tuesdays from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m., Starting Thursday, January 24, 2019

Where: National Electronics Museum – 1745 West Nursery Road, Linthicum, MD 20190

A free twelve (12) week “HAM” Radio (Amateur Radio) Extra course will be held in the National Electronics Museum Tuesday evenings, from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m., starting Thursday, January 24, 2019. This course is to help prepare for the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Extra Class license examination. Prerequisite is the FCC General Class License. There are no Morse code requirements for this class. Though the classes are free, students are to purchase their own current ARRL Extra Class License Manual – 11th Edition (see available on-line sources listed below).

Space accommodations are limited, so please RSVP to reserve a spot in this class.

Known on-line source links for current ARRL Extra Class License Manual – 11th Edition:

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/Extra-Class-...l+ham+radio+license+extra+manual+11th+edition
    ARRL - http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Extra-Class-License-Manual-Spiral-Bound/
    Ham Radio Outlet - http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-014856
    Also, available for purchase in some Barnes and Noble retail locations.
    To RSVP and for additional information, please email Melenie Maule at: Melenie.Maule@ngc.com or call 410-765-0589.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Picked up a Yaesu FTM-100DR/DE. It came with a programming cable, but it does not look like CHIRP supports it.

Any recommendations for software?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County

Yeah, I watched that last night. He appears to be speaking in tongues as he describes the process. :innocent0

There is also third party software ($25 - $30) available, but it appears to be specific to one model. I have some familiarity with CHIRP and hate having learn another program for use once or twice a year. :tdown:

Ah well, I'll keep looking before I jump into anything.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Yeah, I watched that last night. He appears to be speaking in tongues as he describes the process. :innocent0

There is also third party software ($25 - $30) available, but it appears to be specific to one model. I have some familiarity with CHIRP and hate having learn another program for use once or twice a year. :tdown:

Ah well, I'll keep looking before I jump into anything.

I own two of these. You either use the Yeasu software (free) or RT Systems software ($25) . The main difference is you can import frequencies directly from Repeater book.com thru the internet using the RT software.
    Your choice. That's all there is.

This is an excellent radio, by the way. You made a good purchase.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I own two of these. You either use the Yeasu software (free) or RT Systems software ($25) . The main difference is you can import frequencies directly from Repeater book.com thru the internet using the RT software.
    Your choice. That's all there is.

This is an excellent radio, by the way. You made a good purchase.

Thanks Keystone. Not what I wanted to hear, but not unexpected.

Any words of wisdom/tribal knowledge/lessons learned on the FTM-100 worth sharing?

Thanks.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Thanks Keystone. Not what I wanted to hear, but not unexpected.

Any words of wisdom/tribal knowledge/lessons learned on the FTM-100 worth sharing?

Thanks.

It's an excellent radio. Enjoy.
    If you have any specific questions, let me know. I'm always willing to share

Bigfoot21075

Ultimate Member
    Nov 3, 2008
    Elkridge, MD
    So, apparently these Quansheng HT's are supposed to be better than the Baofengs. Anyone had any experience with them?

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2019/02/quansheng-uv-r50-more-bang-than-baofeng/

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Quansheng&ref=nb_sb_noss

I have had great luck with My Baofeng BF-F8HP;

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-F...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VWKRED2XRVADF6ZVY0QV

It is easy to program with the cable (sold separately of course) using Chirp. The interface is fairly common sense, I can send and receive on it while sitting in my house with the duck antenna. It is 8 watts also.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Given the uncertainties of ChiCom HTs status according to the FCC, I think it would be better for anyone shopping for an HT to buy one from one of the Japanese manufacturers for now. A working used one if you are short on funds.

Unless of course you find a ChiCom model that has Certification (in another service) and will work only on amateur frequencies.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    new QTH setup

The XYL and I are looking at buying another house. One location has a very nice shack space and spot in the yard for a tower.

Does anyone have any opinion on the Cushcraft MA5B?

It's advertised as 20-10M beam antenna. I've read tons of reviews and all 16 pages on eham.net for it. Mostly the reviews are positive with folks posting that they can make contacts around the world with it, even on 100 watts.

In addition to this beam I was going to keep my existing EFHW Myantennas.com wire. It runs 80-10M.

For the tower, should I attempt this myself or have it professionally installed?
    If professionally installed, are there any firms in there area you would recommend? The new QTH is in south central York County PA.

Is there much of a difference between 40' high and 60' high? I'm concerned about cost. I'm looking at Palco Electronics and they sell the entire tower kit (including hinged base, mast, tower, parts, etc.) 40' for about $870. 60' for $1,636. There are mature trees easily reaching 50'.

Any other recommendations or wisdom? The new QTH isn't a done deal yet. We still have to get inspectors and possibly qualify for a rehab loan so there are a lot of hurdles yet.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom