Visit by Homeland Security yesterday for... a scope purchase?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Visit by Homeland Security yesterday for... a SCOPE purchase!?

Yesterday I got a visit by 2 homeland security officers for a rifle scope I won on eBay several weeks ago.. Asked if they could come in and talk for a few and I welcomed them on in where we could talk over my dinner table.
    As for the eBay purchase, the seller provided a tracking number a day or two after auction, but then nothing.. zero movement for maybe 2 weeks?
    I was away on vacation and it wasn’t on my mind at all as I bought several random items that still had not been delivered (camera equipment etc) messaged the seller who said they have no idea what’s going on with the scope and would look into it ASAP.
    Well I never heard back but maybe a day or two later it finally showed tracking out of Illinois.
    Figured just holiday related congestion or package was lost temporarily ?
    Never thought all that much into it and could do a Paypal dispute if necessary.

It’s maybe the 4th scope or so I bought the past year, also bought 2 red dot’s as I bought around a dozen firearms in 2017. Mostly .22 Rifles and 9mm handguns, and a lower..building an AR pistol over the next several weeks

Anyways, I was told the visit was for a rash of online buyers now purchasing several optics (scopes, red dots and thermal/infrared) and other items then shipping/transferring them to warehouses that would eventually funnel out to countries where they are illegal (ITAR?) mainly those countries connected with terrorist activities like turkey, Middle East etc. Apparently a lot of people are making a quick buck doing this as of recent.. They just asked who I purchased from, showed them the sellers eBay name etc. Even screen shot and emailed it to the one agent.
    Was just told to be on alert essentially, selling such items to any shady/questionable people as it’s been a recent concern for them particularly to areas in Portland, Delaware or even NY where they are being sent out of the country. I can’t keep up with the latest criminal trends are so I’ll just take their word for it.

Both agents were very friendly and pleasure to talk to, conversation lasted maybe 20mins?? After explaining that I had zero intentions nor knowledge of that scheme. Just gave them a general run down of what my purpose and use are for them.. After that I could sense a good deal of relief by both agents that maybe this was all a waste of their time?
    After that quick discussion, was just a friendly conversation mentioned my general gripes about what I’ve been thru the past year with silly Maryland laws (handgun roster, magazine pinning/10rd limit, out of state FFL’s avoiding Marylanders, wait times, etc) they shared their own stories/annoyances even though they are LEO’s, having several issues themselves and being annoyed with state laws that are confusing and rather annoying whenever they would buy a new firearms. Just general talk, after the initial 5-10mins of finding out details on the scope purchase, before leaving left their business cards and said if I have any questions/concerns at all feel free call/email them anytime with questions. One agent even emailed me later that day again thanking me for taking the time once again.

Anyone else ever have a situation like this from either Homeland Security, ATF, or MSP ?
    Could I have been flagged because of multiple firearms optics etc purchased at a higher rate than many in 2017? I completely got out of firearms with many other life priorities for a very long time as my business and motorsports always took the lions share of my interest over the past dozen plus years.

Either way didn’t really alarm me at all, I have absolutely nothing to hide. I just thought it seemed rather strange to send two agents all the way out here for a scope purchased online from a random seller that maybe USPS scanned and then flagged ? Maybe my name is super common and tied to someone else of interest?
    Just didn’t quite add up but it’s a unique time right now and see no real issue with our gov’t being very cautious in this current climate

Thoughts?

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Hoped they showed you a photo DHS ID. Haven’t heard that before. Did you google to see if in fact there is an issue they stated? Hope you didn’t get too detailed into your guns and where your safe is. I’d make a MFR for myself for any future visits.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    They did show badge/credentials as soon as I answered the door, both very professional guys.
    Made no detailed mention about any of my firearms in any detail as that was never the topic they were interested in

Again I have zero concerns, if I was doing something shady sure I would be at high alert lol.
    I briefly googled to see if it was common what so ever, came up with nothing. Either way ISIS or other criminal orgs need optics some way some how and I would suppose the US would be the easiest path?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    That's interesting. I'm not sure I would have been that accommodating without knowing why they were there. No one is entering my house without a search warrant.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Your choice, but I don't let anyone I don't know in the door without a warrant.

That..

and thanks OP for the heads up. I've been doing a lot of firearms paraphernalia deals on eBay recently.. wonderful

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    That's interesting. I'm not sure I would have been that accommodating without know why they were there. No one is entering my house without a search warrant.

Completely understandable.. Maybe it’s just the best course of action in the event something like this ever happened again when I know there is zero reason for anyone to be at my front door asking me questions.
    I guess at the moment I saw no harm, zero to be concerned about and quite honestly curiosity set in to find out what brought them here.
    I hesitated making this post because I know many on here may disagree with me letting in agents/officers into my home, in the moment I felt it would be the wrong way to go about it

Your choice, but I don't let anyone I don't know in the door without a warrant.

That's interesting. I'm not sure I would have been that accommodating without know why they were there. No one is entering my house without a search warrant.

On duty LEO's are not coming into my house without a warrant. Unlike vampires, once you invite them in, you cannot rescind your offer and tell them to leave.
    I had a very bad experience with this after an angry (busted cheater) ex girlfriend called BPD with lies- knowing I was a "multiple" gun owner. I'm not going to go into full details again, but it involved a tactical team knocking on my door, forcing their way inside and my all firearms being taken into "safe keeping". I was never charged with a crime, let alone convicted. It took me 2+ years and a LOT of ******** to get my firearms back. Dig through the MDS archives if you want the full story. I will not type it out again.

I reiterate On duty LEO's are not coming into my house without a warrant. If there is a next time, I will take my chances and risk getting shot. Never again.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Completely understandable.. Maybe it’s just the best course of action in the event something like this ever happened again when I know there is zero reason for anyone to be at my front door asking me questions.
    I guess at the moment I saw no harm, zero to be concerned about and quite honestly curiosity set in to find out what brought them here.
    I hesitated making this post because I know many on here may disagree with me letting in agents/officers into my home, in the moment I felt it would be the wrong way to go about it

Ruby Ridge and Waco were enough for me. I know we're not talking about the FBI, but you were visited by an Alphabet government agency.

I'm glad it worked out well for you, but please consider what your other options are when dealing with any agency.

Ultimately it's you that have to deal with the consequences. I'm not going to beat you up for your actions. Just like the others here, no one is jumping on your chest, we are just putting out our concerns with what could have happened once you invited them into your home.

Please never be afraid to post anything. So what if I disagree with you. Even if others want to jump on your chest, they'll get over it. Don't let anything or anyone stop you from posting any message you want.

I'm glad you posted your message. This was the first time I ever heard of an eBay purchase involving an ABC group of the government.

Thanks for the heads up.

BrewDoc_MD

Piss off, ghost!
    Apr 25, 2012
    Myersville, MD
    A DHS visit for scopes? really??? I didn't really believe it, but after a little online digging.....DHS: know-you-go-purchasing-firearms-and-parts-firearms-usa
    Here's a 5+ yr old press release from the DHS warning citizens not to ship firearms, ammo, or firearm parts to Canada (and warning Canadians not to try to buy them here). maybe your ebay seller was a know seller of such things to such people?

and here's a Canadian outdoorsmen forum archived thread where they were talking about what they could and could not get in trouble for buying in the USA and getting it back t Canada:
    http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/archive/index.php/t-38258.html

scopes are on the list of prohibited items, or at least were back then (2009-2012).

Jul 1, 2012
    So how did they:
    a) know you purchased the scope in the first place
    b) get your personal information from eBay or PayPal? (or from where?)
    "They just asked who I purchased from" so it wasn't from the sellers side right?

this seems a little scary.

dang, Snallygaster beat me to it :)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Fishy. How do they know what you purchased? Was the seller busted for something?

So how did they:
    a) know you purchased the scope in the first place
    b) get your personal information from eBay or PayPal? (or from where?)
    "They just asked who I purchased from" so it wasn't from the sellers side right?

this seems a little scary.

dang, Snallygaster beat me to it :)

Maybe they were the seller and it was a sting operation that didn't go the way they thought it would.

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Others in this thread have posted about something like this happening before.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Fishy. How do they know what you purchased? Was the seller busted for something?

My guess is USPS held the package after being scanned? Maybe they are red flagging every so often ?

I checked the seller a couple hours ago and it appears he sold several items non outdoor related as of recent, only a few scopes red dots but mostly random electronics etc.
    Same seller still has several active listings and recent listings, so as far as I know, not in trouble for wrongdoing ?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    eBay or PayPal must have an agreement with DHS to share certain purchase activity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom